PCV oil catch can on a vortec truck??

So how are you guys running an oil catch can on your vortec truck engines?

The only hose I'm aware of for the PCV comes from the rear driver side valve cover, and that hose runs up to the middle/top of the intake.

Any suggestions or pics are welcome, I need some ideas,,,or if this is even doable. Thanks.

Wow, guess no one is doing this.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

I've been meaning to get one for the truck but in the mean time I have a breather cap installed on the oil fill tube. Better than nothing I guess, from I read in one of Sarge's threads it helps.

I run one on the cars, but that's very easy to hook up, with the PCV right in front by the pass side head. Couple of short hoses and you're done.

On these 6.0 trucks it's a bit different. From what I understand, these things have a built in PCV inside the valve cover which is on the driver side and at the very back of the engine. That tube runs up to the top/middle of the intake manifold. This poses a problem for me.

The only decent place to mount the catch can is on the front of the passenger cylinder head (like I have the 4th gens). But that's not even close to the PCV, and I'm not liking the idea of snaking hose back and forth over the engine to reach the catch can and the back of the driver side valve cover.
    So I just wanted to see if others had better ideas.

00 Silverado

Sorry for the phone-quality picture. I am planning on installing a larger, aluminum resivoir on this piece, but for now it seems to be alright.
    I put mine up high on the firewall, next to the brake booster. It took about 1.5ft of hose; there was actually a ground stud I stuck it on (temporarily) just because the piece is so light. If you run a larger one, you'll prob want to bolt it up directly to the firewall.

The "in" port is facing the brake booster, so it made for a pretty straight shot from the v/c to the intake manifold. Again, I don't know how sturdy that stud will be if you're planning on using a larger unit; but it worked for mine.
    Also, if you have an HD truck, with the hydroboost brake setup, you may have more room than I did.

Top view

This is a Parker Watts unit, FRL series. I'm prob gonna go to their stainless FRL series for the next one. They look way cleaner, and won't melt.
    http://www.wattsfluidair.com/product.html
    Last edited by prerunfw; 04-09-2011 at 10:41 AM.

Thread Information