Thread: New Truck.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

New Truck.

Hey guys, I just bought a 2003 Suburban. This is my first time owning a GM truck though I have had 4 F bodies and 2 GTO's. Anything I need to know, or Mods that I should do immediately for preventative maintenance? It is stock, 2WD LT with 100K on the Odometer. Well taken care of, and I got it for 8K. Are there any known problems with the 5.3 Vortech? Thanks in advance for any info.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

I have never seen like a very common problem whit these motors but at a 100k thats when all of the tune up stuff is due but the stuff that people have problems with is 4wd components so dont worry about great trucks drive the shit out of it.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    Hey guys, I just bought a 2003 Suburban. This is my first time owning a GM truck though I have had 4 F bodies and 2 GTO's. Anything I need to know, or Mods that I should do immediately for preventative maintenance? It is stock, 2WD LT with 100K on the Odometer. Well taken care of, and I got it for 8K. Are there any known problems with the 5.3 Vortech? Thanks in advance for any info.
    Agree with doing the tune up. Plugs only have 100k life. Change all your fluids if it hasn't been done yet. Trans, coolant, and rear axle. Other than that, you have yourself an excellent truck. Those 5.3's will run forever!!!

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Agree with doing the tune up. Plugs only have 100k life. Change all your fluids if it hasn't been done yet. Trans, coolant, and rear axle. Other than that, you have yourself an excellent truck. Those 5.3's will run forever!!!
    That's what i heard. I got the dealership to do the fluids and plugs as part of buying the truck on top of getting it for 4K under the sticker. Gotta love the recession. Thanks for the suggestions though. Im gonna do duals and a CAI to try and help out the fuel economy, though I have been getting 17 mixed highway city.

White
    2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4

i put a banks cold air intake on my truck and picked up roughly 2 mpg . also fuel filter if it has one . i cant remember on the 03 if it is external or not . i know mine is internal .

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

That's what i heard. I got the dealership to do the fluids and plugs as part of buying the truck on top of getting it for 4K under the sticker. Gotta love the recession. Thanks for the suggestions though. Im gonna do duals and a CAI to try and help out the fuel economy, though I have been getting 17 mixed highway city.

It should have 2 i inside the take (sock filter) and a inline filter some where under the truck on the frame. But on fuel economy stay away from most of the hand held programmers that say they give you better fuel economy most of them just lean the fuel out way to much and cause problems i know their are a few goods ones out their cant think of their names right now. I have a cold air dual exhaust mild tune I took the truck on vacation and averaged 19 on the whole trip was happier than hell about that you probably wont get that in a burb but any little will help oh yea, if you havent cleaned the maf and knocked the screen out do that it helps a little!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We just bought an '07 Suburban with the 5.3 DOD engine. Best we have managed so far is 13.5 mpg. It is amazing how much stuff you can pack into the thing, the ride is great, and it's nice sitting up high. Great trucks.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

a couple of common issues with the trucks themselves are fuel pump, especially over 100k, dash lights sometimes malfunction too

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Thanks guys. Ill change the fuel filter and clean the MAF and see what happens.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    a couple of common issues with the trucks themselves are fuel pump, especially over 100k, dash lights sometimes malfunction too
    Also the gauge cluster is known to fail. The speedometer, tachometer needles will get stuck. There is a special policy from GM up to 70k miles to get replaced under warranty. The last 4 Silverados I've owned all have had clusters replaced.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Also the gauge cluster is known to fail. The speedometer, tachometer needles will get stuck. There is a special policy from GM up to 70k miles to get replaced under warranty. The last 4 Silverados I've owned all have had clusters replaced.
    oh yea it does seem like i read this somewhere when i was lookin for reasons why my dash lights went out..

Thread Information