Thread: ls2 truck swap

blue
    04 gto

ls2 truck swap

hey any help would be great me and my uncle were thinking of buying a engine from 06 gto engine w/six spd the tranny will go inmy auto goat and the engine will replace the 5.3 in his truck. just wondering if any one has tried this or knows how compatable it would be

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 1bluegoat View Post
    hey any help would be great me and my uncle were thinking of buying a engine from 06 gto engine w/six spd the tranny will go inmy auto goat and the engine will replace the 5.3 in his truck. just wondering if any one has tried this or knows how compatable it would be
    It should bolt right in. The external dimensions of the motor are the same. Mounts are probably different going from a car to a truck application though. It will also match up the the bellhousing of the truck's tranmission without any issues.

You will need the ECU out of the GTO for it to work with the motor...not sure how that will affect the rest of the truck though. Perhaps you can get the 5.3 ECU reflashed for the LS2 motor instead.

It can definitely be done, no question about that. You just have to look into the details, such as the computer, motor mounts, ect.

I've been running an LS1 from a Corvette in my '02 shortbed for over a year. I still have the 4.8 intake and pcm. It will run 13.50's at 101mph. It bounces off the top speed limiter for the last 50' or so. I've gotta get this thing tuned!
    It will bolt right in and work fine, it's a one day job if you use the truck intake, which by the way is as good as the car intake in that application, and much easier to do.

blue
    04 gto

thats nice you didnt have to cut/trim or modify anything ? just hook up power ground starter fuel ect. and everything was ok?

I used the truck intake, accessories and oil pan, it just bolts up and is plug and play. The pcm will work with your new engine.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by RandyW View Post
    I used the truck intake, accessories and oil pan, it just bolts up and is plug and play. The pcm will work with your new engine.
    Good to know about the PCM. I figured it wouldn't be compatible going from a truck engine to a performance car motor.

That makes the swap even easier then

Here's mine

Last edited by RandyW; 04-05-2007 at 04:33 PM.

It's dark gray, the sun was shining on the tailgate when I took that one. I've got to take some better pics!

GREEN 95 F/B LS1
    2000 SIERRA 5.3

hate to tell you, but it will not exactly be a bolt-up and go
    (1) the 06 6.0 ls2 engine uses a 58 tooth reluctor wheel ( instead of your 24 tooth ) on the crank, meaning the crank position sensor will not communicate properly with the ecm
    (2) the 06 6.0 ls2 engine uses a cam position sensor that is mounted off of the front cam cover / not the rear of the block - so your will have to cut and extend the harness from your truck's engine compartment to reach ( the voltages are also different on the sensors but this is fixable also )
    (3) the 06 6.0 ls2 engine uses completely different knock sensors ( 1 on each side of the block close to the oil pan ) and therefore you will have to address this by eliminating them ( not rec. ) or again, modifying your harness

it is completly feasible, and not that bad and is definately worth the extra h.p. and weight savings you will see - as far as the bolt-in / the 6.0 block will have all the same threaded holes & mounts that you will need to bolt it together - but you will need to spend a little time sorting out your connections and the proper ecm tuning that i mentioned above

have fun

I have an LS2 crate motor sitting in my building, I'd planned to use LS1 sensors and reluctor, I honestly didn't know there were 2 knock sensors because my motor has none. Still, if you use the LS1 pieces why wouldn't it bolt in like my LS1 did?

GREEN 95 F/B LS1
    2000 SIERRA 5.3

Quote Originally Posted by RandyW View Post
    I have an LS2 crate motor sitting in my building, I'd planned to use LS1 sensors and reluctor, I honestly didn't know there were 2 knock sensors because my motor has none. Still, if you use the LS1 pieces why wouldn't it bolt in like my LS1 did?

the ls1 also has 2 knock sensors but they are located under the valley pan under the intake manifold - they are completly different threads / connections / etc

as far as the reluctor wheel goes, you would have to remove the crank to swap the reluctor wheels from 58 to 24

again - im not saying it can't be done, but it's going to take some homework and some computer/ecm talent/modifications

-shane

I meant my crate motor doesn't have the knock sensors in it, just plugs at this point. It appears the easist thing to do is get the pcm flashed.

blue
    04 gto

we bought ls2/trans out of an ss trailblazer instead with ecu tcu wiring and pedals unfortunatly we will have to use the fly by wire throttle body and it will haveto be all wheel drive for now hoping to find a way to re wire the 4wd control and use his old transfer case

Thread Information