Thread: LS1 swap

many colors
    71 chevy 1/2ton LWB

Arrow LS1 swap

I am looking to swap my tired and old 350 for an LS1. I would like to know the issues people have run into and what I really need to watch for. I have a three speed auto trani and not sure if it will work in my truck. Any ffeed back would be appreciated. Thanks

sebring silver
    2000 z28

great idea, do it, if you get the complete ls1 go with a painless wiring harness, call them to get all the detalis, i do beleive it will bolt to your 3 speed auto, but one of the upper belhousing bolt wont line up, but no big deal, also call a torque coverter companny to make sur it will work with your tranny, tci or vigilante,

many colors
    71 chevy 1/2ton LWB

Just called TCI and they quoted me $236 for a flex plate and $22 dollars for a pilot extension. Not sure if I should do that or buy a 4L60E for my truck. The other tranny is about $50 more plus shipping but i don't know if it would be better or not. What do you think? Thanks for the help

sebring silver
    2000 z28

i was gonna mention the 4l60e but i assumed you were set on the 3 speed, the 4l60 would be a great idea it will allow you to run at lower rpms at highway speeds and let you run lower rear gears such as 4.10 without killing mileage, BUT it is an electronic tranny so you will have to flip open jegs or summit to find the right shift controller for it, on camaros i beleive it is already in the ecm but if you ls1 is carbureted you will need that controller, im not sure if the painless harness will work with that tranny without the controller, make some calls, keep up the research and plan everything to detail,cost,parts, before you start

many colors
    71 chevy 1/2ton LWB

Well I decided to keep my tranny and I bought the flex plate so it would fit the LS1. I found a guy that has a harness, pcm programmed to my specs , anf a fuse box for 500 bucks so i think that is what I am going to do. He also said I need to buy a VSS and a 40 tooth reluctor ring that goes to the PCM....any one heard of this. Guess the 87 or newer 4x4 and 89 and newer V8 S-10's have the VSS . My assumption is that the PCM needs to get speed from somewhere and that is where it gets it from. Still researching...............

sebring silver
    2000 z28

i dont know a whole lot about the vss or what all the pcm needs to operate, i saw a guy ata car show that had an ls1 in a nissan 240sx, he went with the painless wiring harness so he could have trouble free instalation call them, by the was what truck is this going in. does it have a cable or electronic speedo, conversions are not always easy but also not impossible.

many colors
    71 chevy 1/2ton LWB

I am putting it in my 71 chevy....I have the cable speedometer

many colors
    71 chevy 1/2ton LWB

I think that is why I need the VSS for the PCM

sebring silver
    2000 z28

that truck will run good what all is done, and it should get decent milage, along with plenty of power....good luck

many colors
    71 chevy 1/2ton LWB

Every thing is stock. Except for the motor now. One day I will do the body off restoration. This will get me by until I am ready for that.

White
    97 GMC with 02 LS6 engine

Try Dakota Digital for a VSS module.

black, and black
    04 M6

vss

go to www.pirate4x4.com they are many artices about vss's on there im sure someone there can give info about the swap to, 4x4's r always upgradeing their stuff and doing motor/tranny swaps.

Black
    06 Chevy Caprice HT (RIP)

Wink

HMMM

Why go hightech when you can stay lowtech...

Get the LS1, but instead of the fancy fuel injection slap on a Carb..You can find a kit that will allow you to have the nice new light engine, but stay in the same level as the old, in complecation...You can still utilize the direct coil to sparkplug setup, and it just needs a simple crank sensor...

Plus there is no ECU no VSS no engine light for faulty wires...Just a nice key ignition and start...you can even use an old style transmission and satisfy stock look with KICKASS acceleration....

Summitracing has the kit....Let me know if i may be of any help...

Naf

I swapped an '01 LS1 from a Vette into my '02 sb/rc/2wd a yeaer and a half ago, I love it. I'm still running truck intake and stock tuning but I'm in the 13.50's with no traction.

Thread Information