Thread: LS1 Swap

Black
    1998 Chevy Silverado

LS1 Swap

Anyone done an LS1 engine swap in a 98 Silverado?

Pewter
    2000 WS.6 T/A

dude you have a ls1 block already if its a 98-05-- the 4.8 5.3 and 6.0 motors are all LS1 blocks- you would need to change your intake manifold and heads and you will be making more power- if you have a 5.3 your already making about 290-340hp i forget exactly how much it is - a stock ls1 makes 305-310 with the LS1 intake and ls6 intake respectively- so it would be a wasted effort to swap the motor unless you have a v6 model- try getting a cold air intake, a intake manifold, some 6.0 heads off an escalade or denali yukon...port them and get some headers and a catback.. you should be making sick power- with a cam and even a supercharger..we're talking FAST FAST

Black
    1998 Chevy Silverado

No. I had a 350 Vortec in it. This LS1 block I got out of a 2002 Camaro SS in an all aluiminum block. My 350 with a cold air intake, banks power pack that consisted of headers and 3" exhaust, a power tuner and traction bars was only putting about 210 rwhp. With this new block, along with a new intake, headers, msd coil packs, fuel rails, higher volume fuel pump and under drive pulleys - I'm hoping to have about 350 rwhp.
    I was asking if anyone had done the swap because I had questions regarding the wiring harness.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by WS.SICK View Post
    dude you have a ls1 block already if its a 98-05-- the 4.8 5.3 and 6.0 motors are all LS1 blocks- you would need to change your intake manifold and heads and you will be making more power- if you have a 5.3 your already making about 290-340hp i forget exactly how much it is - a stock ls1 makes 305-310 with the LS1 intake and ls6 intake respectively- so it would be a wasted effort to swap the motor unless you have a v6 model- try getting a cold air intake, a intake manifold, some 6.0 heads off an escalade or denali yukon...port them and get some headers and a catback.. you should be making sick power- with a cam and even a supercharger..we're talking FAST FAST
    5.3 isn't in the trucks until 99...the bore is smaller on the 5.3 and 4.8 than the LS1 and the truck blocks are iron with aluminum being a option. The 5.3 makes 285hp -315hp depending on the year...a stock LS1 makes 345ish at the crank..they're underrated by GM.

Don't swap the truck manifold...it's a good manifold (runner length is tuned for more low-end torque) plus a ls1/ls6 manifold isn't a direct bolt-on. I forgot what all the problems are but i know the water pumps upper neck hits the throttle body with a LS manifold on. I have a 99 5.3 and it's a great engine but you can always use more power...but remember that it's a truck when you're modding. If you actually use it as a truck you'll want as much torque down low as possible.

Don't swap the truck manifold...it's a good manifold (runner length is tuned for more low-end torque) plus a ls1/ls6 manifold isn't a direct bolt-on. I forgot what all the problems are but i know the water pumps upper neck hits the throttle body with a LS manifold on.
    Good advice on the intake, the truck unit is only like 2 h.p. less than the LS1 unit and makes more torque. I did my swap in a weekend a year ago February and I love it!

Thread Information