Thread: Lots of ??s

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Lots of ??s

I'm looking at buying a new truck. About all I know is i want a GMC or Chevy, I want a crew cab, and I plan on keeping it a long time. I cant decide if I want a 1500 or 2500. The 1500 only comes with a 69" bed which is a big draw back to me. My bed now is 79". The 2500 can come with a 79" or 98".
    Also what is the differences in the 5.3, 6.0, & 6.2 liter motors? Thanks for any help or thoughts.
    Last edited by blackcar; 05-30-2010 at 10:31 AM.

Living the Dream LS1FirehawkWS6's Avatar

2000 Trans-Am
    2007 Silverado 2500HD LTZ

Okay, this is a good start. But we need more information. Like I posted in another thread on this forum, there are a few questions that you need to ask yourself when considering a truck.

1.) What is it primarily going to be used for? (work, play, a little of both)
    2.) What is your budget?

The 6.2 liter I believe is the old diesel motor they used to put in the pickups. I also think it was a natural diesel too (no turbo). The new Duramax is a 6.6 liter and turbo-charged. Both awesome motors, and very reliable. The 6.0 liter is my best all-around motor. It has plenty of power when I need to plow or tow.

The aftermarket for the 5.3, 6.0 and 6.6 is limitless.

I see you have a 1/2 ton now. If that truck has done what you needed it to, then I would suggest the 1500 or 1500HD. The regular 1500 comes with your choice of the 4.3 V6, 4.8 V8 or the 5.3 V8. All have 4WD availability. The 1500HD comes with the 6.0 liter. I was considering this truck when I was shopping.

Without knowing what you plan on using the truck for, I don't want to get any more specific than this

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by LS1FirehawkWS6 View Post

I see you have a 1/2 ton now. If that truck has done what you needed it to, then I would suggest the 1500 or 1500HD. The regular 1500 comes with your choice of the 4.3 V6, 4.8 V8 or the 5.3 V8. All have 4WD availability. The 1500HD comes with the 6.0 liter. I was considering this truck when I was shopping.
    That is kinda the way I'm leaning.

As far as use. Most of the time it will just be in town driving. But I do like to have fun on the back roads and my Camaro is toteled The truck I have now is a HD and it has worked great except I want a crew-cab. The 1500 crew-cab only comes with a 69' bed, which I think is too short. It is 10" shorter than the bed I have now and when I carrying signs for work they have to go at an angle now to fit.

The main thing is I plan on keeping this truck a long time and want it to hold up well and have plenty of power for anything I want.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    That is kinda the way I'm leaning.

As far as use. Most of the time it will just be in town driving. But I do like to have fun on the back roads and my Camaro is toteled The truck I have now is a HD and it has worked great except I want a crew-cab. The 1500 crew-cab only comes with a 69' bed, which I think is too short. It is 10" shorter than the bed I have now and when I carrying signs for work they have to go at an angle now to fit.

The main thing is I plan on keeping this truck a long time and want it to hold up well and have plenty of power for anything I want.
    With a locking diff. Price range in the 30's. Very little off-road. But the other day I had to get pulled out of a yard because it was a little wet.
    Last edited by blackcar; 05-30-2010 at 07:03 PM.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

going to look at trucks today

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

look into that vortec max. Buddy has it in his truck and it doesn't lack power at all.

Living the Dream LS1FirehawkWS6's Avatar

2000 Trans-Am
    2007 Silverado 2500HD LTZ

10" can easily be made up with the tailgate down and a bed-extender cargo hold. especially if it's not a lot of weight.

As for the crew-cab. I just bought my first one three weeks ago and so far, my friends love it. A majority of them are 6' plus, and all leg. so the extra leg room of the full crew helps out with comfort.

I've had 4 extended cab pickups in the past, and they did just fine. So again, the crew cab is a luxury for most, not a necessity.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I have an extended cab now and it is only a 2-door. It is a pain for an adult to get in the back. Sometimes I need the extra room for clients. Also I have a family of 5.

I looked at two different extended cabs and when I adjusted the front seat where I want it I got in the back and my knees were touching the seat. And I'm not tall at 5'10"

I have narrowed it down to 2 trucks. One I like better the other is cheaper. I'll probaly go with the cheaper and add the things I like better later. I'm just not sure about the 3.08 rear-end in the cheaper one. That may be to high a gear for a truck. But it does have the 6-speed auto.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Blackcar, I suggest that you get the pickup that you like the best. Like me you keep your pickups a long time, so over the length of time you keep the truck the additional cost won't be much per year. Maybe you should describe the pickups that you are looking at and the options they have.
    Thanks

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

They are pretty close to the same. GMC, crew-cab, power plus package (includes 5.3 and 6 speed auto), H.D. towing (includes the locking diff), leather (the cheaper one has 2-tone leather). The more expensive one has a crome package (chrome 6" steps, chrome mirrors, chrome door handles), a lower gear rear end (can't remember what it is but the cheap one has the 3.08), and fog lights. I like the lower gear, the 6" steps, and fog lights, just not $3k worth. I can prob add it later cheaper. The MSRP on the cheaper one is $35K but he would sell for $27K with the $5K rebate. The other is $36K and he'll do $30k.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

The only way to get the normal 6.5' bed with a crew cab is to step up to a 2500. All the chrome stuff can be added after the fact. The gearing is a huge deal, especially with the A6 trans. I'd almost say step up and spend the extra bucks to get the larger ratio rear end. You'll be plenty happy either way you go for power and reliability though. Also, look into the Silverado. You can get the same truck for cheaper than a GMC. Just my $.02.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Went to look at the more expensive one again and he had sold it. So I went and picked up the other one.

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    I have an extended cab now and it is only a 2-door. It is a pain for an adult to get in the back. Sometimes I need the extra room for clients. Also I have a family of 5.
    The Yukon/Tahoe is accomidating for passengers. But it comes up short on the bed.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I like having a bed. Not only do I remodel houses, I have to carry my signs (look at my avatar). I have one in the back of my old truck now and it has to be at an angle to fit. Havn't tried putting a sign in my new truck yet. Prob have to take a piece off.

When the wife gets ready to upgrade, I want to look at the Yukons.

Thread Information