Thread: Locker noise

Locker noise

Hello this is my first post so here goes a couple weeks ago i broke the g80 locker in my 2000 silverado and i just got it replaced the other day the question is i am having a chatter under 30mph and its normally under coast....is that just the nature of the beast ...im hopping the clutches are just not broke in yet but im no expert i do know when the case was changed the ring and pinion looked fine so i do not think that is it unless the shop didn't set the backlash correct ...so any ideas????? kind of stumped

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Does it happen when you're turning? If it happens in while driving straight then its not diff related. Maybe you have a brake pulsation??

the sound comes when the truck is coasting 30mph and lower and it almost sounds like if you was to spin a set of gears with no oil on them ...which the diff has the correct fluid and filled to the correct leave im just confused because if its the clutches in the new g80 locker then i would think i would hear it under acceleration too and not just coast so that makes me think its the backlash thats not set right on the ring and pinion but then again shouldnt you hear that even coasting from 55mph and down if the backlash is set to tight. im just trying to trouble shoot whats going on here so i can see what im looking at to get it fixed (which everything ive read on the g80 is that it will not engage over 30 mph) sooo????

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The locker won't engage at all unless you lose traction on one wheel and spin it up fast enough to make the governor open up and set the locking mechanism going.
    I think when your locker broke, some metal got sent around inside the rear end and might have messed up some bearings or the gears. Either that or the backlash or bearing preload isn't right. Take it back to the same shop and see what they think.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

The only time I hear mine is in the cold while making a sharp turn. I have an 04 2500HD

Thread Information