Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Got a new (to me) truck, '96 Suburban 2500

Just got a '96 GMC Suburban 2500 thursday for a new daily driver/winter ride to keep my camaro in the garage (last winter ride was a Honda crx, think this might be an upgrade!). The truck has a re-built 454 with 2,200 mi on it, which I was told has a full roller rocker set up, comp cam, some head work(not sure how extensive) ,and is bored .030 over. I have the name of the shop that built it and have sent an email to try to get the specs of the cam and valve train. Not sure where I want to go with the truck yet, it's a solid truck with 156,xxx mi on the body and the only rust hole being in the drivers side barn door on the back. There is some surface rust under the passenger doors and hood but nothing bad. Thinking about putting some sort of bed liner type material on the rockers to prevent rusting out and will just repair the rust in the rear. For the motor I'm trying to find out how to tune these motors as the MAP sensor is currently unplugged due to the cam, it dies on takeoff if it plugged in. Exhaust and intake upgrades are on the slate as both are still stock and seem incredibly restrictive. I've got some front end work to do on it, already replace a tie rod, but nothing out of the ordinary on a 150,xxx+ mile truck.

Well that's about it so here is a pic of her pulling my parents jeep back from buying it.

*note- the puddle on the pavement is not from the burb! haha

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Good looking truck! Those burbs are handy.

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    Good looking truck! Those burbs are handy.
    I'm liking it so far, and it should handle 95% of anything I used to haul around in my old pick-up. What's kind of sad is it's getting about the same mileage as my '02 dodge did, that was a reg. cab short bed half ton with a 5.9L in it.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro SS hard top

Anyone know what is needed to tune these vortec motors? Right now,like I said in the original post, the map sensor is unplugged because of the cam not pulling enough vacuum. I don't know the cam specs yet but am hoping the shop that built the motor will send them to me. Is dyno tuning about the only way I'll get a decent tune for this without knowing the cam specs?

Quote Originally Posted by Shermanator86 View Post
    I'm liking it so far, and it should handle 95% of anything I used to haul around in my old pick-up. What's kind of sad is it's getting about the same mileage as my '02 dodge did, that was a reg. cab short bed half ton with a 5.9L in it.
    Same mileage with twice the motor and twice the truck? Sounds like a good tradeoff to me Can't complain about that.

I'm actually in the process of grabbing the same thing. Found a 94 suburban 4x4 2500 454/4L80E loaded with options. Don't really need it as a tow rig as I already have a 1 ton truck, but thought it would be a great backup vehicle, plenty of room to go camping in the mountains, and a nice, big, heavy vehicle for my son to drive when he gets his license

Thread Information