TheOnlyConstant is Change HLYWD83's Avatar

White
    '01 1500 Silverado

Estimate question

Went to the dealership recently, diagnosed several problems on my vehicle -- Turns out the overheating issue I was experiencing was due to leaking head gaskets, The ABS and parking lights which we're coming on during operation were due to a bad EBCM (ouch) I required a new injection valve for one if not both sides, and being the lovely Chevy she is, needed a new fuel pump to correct those delayed starts. So after $500 worth of diagnostics (highway robbery) The dealership quoted me at about $5000 for everything, I started to feel my blood pressure rise when I learned that the extended warranty I recently purchased was void when the service center called in the claim. Not siked, especially when I explicitly asked if my truck still qualified for the warranty with a mild lift kit and other after market modifications. I probably wouldn't have went to the dealership if I knew the friggin warranty was bunk. The charge about $130 per diagnosis. Yeah for $500 I could buy my own damn diagnostic. Anyway, Asked around for some lower quotes on the work required, looking for some help, just throwing it out there, from what I understand The brake control module is a pricey piece of equipment, IS THERE A PLACE OUT THERE THAT SELLS CHEAP/REFURBISHED/USED(but still operable) E.B.C.M.'s and what is a reasonable quote for head gasket work (dealership est. $1800+) Thanks fellas

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

You can pick up a used or rebuilt ebcm for about 160 bucks from ebay. As far as the fuel pump and head gaskets the fuel pump is a striaght forwared instail and isnt too difficult, if your not to great with mechanics you can call around local shops to find a decent price for the gasket replacement. Keep in mind the dealership is allways going to cost wayy more than a smaller shop. Ask some friends and see who they recommend.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

TheOnlyConstant is Change HLYWD83's Avatar

White
    '01 1500 Silverado

Thumbs up good looking out

Hey I really appreciate it, I wouldn't want to pay an arm and a leg for all of this, but I do need it fixed before further problems arise because of negligence. The good thing is because I have the head gasket issue, I'm taking her easy on the way to work and back, therefore don't really have the risk of locking up the brakes because I don't have ABS from the bad EBCM, so it kinda works out... I guess lol

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

well if you think about it, older cars didnt even have abs soo its like your driving and older vehicle...
    the head gasket issue your going to want to get fixed asap, befor it gets any worse..
    J

Thread Information