98 Formula
    06 duramax

diesel guys.....

Any of you guys good with diesels? My buddy has an 06 duramax vin 2 and last year he started throwing the 0087 code for low rail pressure when towing. It pretty much only does it when it's hot out and he's towing his camper. We replaced the rubber section of the fuel line coming from the tank. It was soft as hell and my money would've been that replacing that would fix it. He threw it again this weekend towing the camper. We're taking the trailers to VA Beach in 2 weeks and I'd really like to get his truck squared away before we go. I'm just not sure where to start or how to even properly trouble shoot it. I don't want him throwing parts at it if we can help it because the CP3 is expensive and doing a lift pump is expensive. I've also read it may be the fuel pressure return valve but not sure how to test it.

Did you do a fuel filter?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah.....this has been going on for over a year now so he's done a couple of filters. I'm going to have him bottle test the fprv this week and see if his release valve is leaking and needs shimmed or replaced. I'm pretty sure I can look at injector balance rates with efilive so I'll look at those for him next weekend to see what his injectors are doing. I hope it isn't that or the cp3.....expensive shit.

yeah its not a expensive shit but you first try more fuel filters

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

It could be a leaking injector.

2002 WS6 TA VERT M6 HOOKER SUPER COMPS ORY AND CAT BACK TUNE DONE BY CHARLES AT GREAD TUNNING!!

2007 Z71 EXTENDED CAB PROGRAMMER COLD AIR
    TRUE DUALS

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by REVNORR82 View Post
    It could be a leaking injector.

ever seen one with a leaking injector? I was reading and people were saying it would smoke white and his doesn't. His does smoke a lot more than mine with the same tune though. His smoked more than mine before the tune too. It's black smoke though and not white.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

figured out the smoke issue with his.....it was his k&n filter. He's had problems ever since putting that filter on there. He went back to a paper filter and the smoke cleared up. I still haven't had a chance to work on it to try and fix the 87 code though. Might be a while before I get to that.....we both go on vacation next week so I'll be able to at least log his truck then. I'll tune around the 87 if I have too by turning his limp mode off or killing that 87 code altogether.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

the shim kit for that truck is only $10 also i know it had issues with a injecter wireing rubbing on one of the pigtails but i cant remember what one if you have the efilive see what its reading the rail presser at it coult be the preser sencer is going bad. there was a guy just yesterday on a dmax site that had that happen. if you pulled the plug off of that senser make sure you didnt turn it upside down that will mess things up too. i cant see it needing a cp3 or injecters that year is not known for that stuff that is the older stuff like my 01 lb7. hope some thing i posted helps

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

if you think it maybe just not getting the fuel to the cp3 you can try the tank pic-up mod
    http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Fu...ifications.pdf

98 Formula
    06 duramax

so get this.......he swapped out his K&N and put some injector cleaner in the tank. He hauled it 7 hours each way to VA Beach and back and didn't set the code one time. The temps got up in the 90's each trip. I'm not sure I'm fully convinced it's fixed for good but it definitely made a difference. He normally would've set that 87 code hauling in those temps.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

i found your post on the dmax site last night when i was looking for this issue and i know the k&n stuff is kind of like it is on here they dont like them.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I run basically the same filter with no issues.....his truck though threw a fit with it.

Thread Information