Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DEF on new diesels

Alright, I had heard of the particulate filters,etc on the newer trucks as required by the clowns over at the EPA. However, I didn't realize that you needed to fill up on DEF every few thousand miles. I like new Silverados/Sierras but need to know how much extra this costs to fill up,etc. The stealerships charge enough as it is if you're dumb enough to have them swap the fuel filter...which is a 15-20 minute job.

Edumacate me!

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

I know Napa and Federated stores are carrying it now. I've haven't looked at prices since it started in '11. Think it was around 80 bucks for 5 gallons or so then

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think the tank is ~5 gals and it would be ~$20 or so to fill it every 5-7k miles depending on your driving habits.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Had not a clue so searched and found this:

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    I know Napa and Federated stores are carrying it now. I've haven't looked at prices since it started in '11. Think it was around 80 bucks for 5 gallons or so then
    just looked it up...napa has it for $13 for 2.5 gals. Didn't think it was that expensive. If you go to the dealership it may be though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    just looked it up...napa has it for $13 for 2.5 gals. Didn't think it was that expensive. If you go to the dealership it may be though.
    Everything at the stealerships is expensive. They wanted $180+ to change the fuel filter.

I was like

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Had not a clue so searched and found this: - How it works. - YouTube[/url]
    That's a great info video.

red
    95 Z28

It really isn't too big of a deal, especially when you consider it does do a great job keeping the diesels cleaner (which in turns means we'll get to enjoy them longer at these higher power levels)

Gray/ White

The price I said was based on what I can kinda remember when I was working at Slowpar and Chevy dealers in '11 before the aftermarket options existed
    83 Thunderturd even bigger turd probably LQ4 4L80 swap at some point
    the guys here know how to find a nekkid chick farting into a cake but 2+2 stumps the shit out of 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My brain must be defective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Says the king of mockery and shit talking

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Pretty much just fill it up at each oil change. But its available at the a bunch of gas stations now...right a the pump.

Gray/ White

Haven't seen any with it over here. That's convenient though

That doesn't seem too bad then

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it's really no big deal......about like doing windshield washer fluid. Really cleans the diesels up though. It's amazing how far diesels have came since when I was a kid. Much cleaner and quieter than they used to be. The power levels they're getting out of diesels now is crazy too.

it's really no big deal......about like doing windshield washer fluid. Really cleans the diesels up though. It's amazing how far diesels have came since when I was a kid. Much cleaner and quieter than they used to be. The power levels they're getting out of diesels now is crazy too.
    I wouldn't mind it the new diesels still had the same tone as my '06. Not too loud like the early 2000s but still had some noise to them.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I have my 06 straight piped from the turbo back. I love the way it sounds for the most part. The VVT makes it hiss a little too much but it's not a big deal. I could change that in the tune but don't want to mess with it really. Driving down the road it's really not louder than a gas burner with dual exhaust. Romp on it though and it'll wake the dead.

I was talking about the rattle in my other post though....they don't rattle like they used too. I've still got a few more years with the truck I hope but when it's done I'm going to look at a dodge just because I want the mega cab. The downside to the mega cab is it's not offered in a long bed which is also on my wish list. The 5er eats up a ton of bed....it'd be nice to get a little of that back with a long bed. There's an aftermarket company that does long bed conversions on the mega cabs but no way I'm sinking all that money into it just for a longer bed. I'd rather add an extra fuel tank. I'm years off of having to make this decision so I'll worry about it when the time comes. The allison is a huge draw to GM but GM's have their own issues too. GM would be an automatic decision for me except for that cab....I really like that big ass cab
    Last edited by 0rion; 04-07-2014 at 07:56 AM.

I have my 06 straight piped from the turbo back. I love the way it sounds for the most part. The VVT makes it hiss a little too much but it's not a big deal. I could change that in the tune but don't want to mess with it really. Driving down the road it's really not louder than a gas burner with dual exhaust. Romp on it though and it'll wake the dead.

I was talking about the rattle in my other post though....they don't rattle like they used too. I've still got a few more years with the truck I hope but when it's done I'm going to look at a dodge just because I want the mega cab. The downside to the mega cab is it's not offered in a long bed which is also on my wish list. The 5er eats up a ton of bed....it'd be nice to get a little of that back with a long bed. There's an aftermarket company that does long bed conversions on the mega cabs but no way I'm sinking all that money into it just for a longer bed. I'd rather add an extra fuel tank. I'm years off of having to make this decision so I'll worry about it when the time comes. The allison is a huge draw to GM but GM's have their own issues too. GM would be an automatic decision for me except for that cab....I really like that big ass cab
    What do you think of the new Powerstrokes?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by cam02ss View Post
    What do you think of the new Powerstrokes?
    ford has nothing that interests me at all.....from engine to styling. They've had way too many problems with the 6.0 and the 6.4 and the last one I sat it (granted...it's been a while) I wasn't impressed at all with the interior. GM's interiors suck too. Both look like shit compared to the dodge interiors. I have heard that Ford's newest tranny is supposed to be a pretty damn good tranny.

ford has nothing that interests me at all.....from engine to styling. They've had way too many problems with the 6.0 and the 6.4 and the last one I sat it (granted...it's been a while) I wasn't impressed at all with the interior. GM's interiors suck too. Both look like shit compared to the dodge interiors. I have heard that Ford's newest tranny is supposed to be a pretty damn good tranny.
    I'll have to take a look at Dodge again then. For a while it seemed like you couldn't even get leather unless you opted for the Laramie. I'm on GMC's site building a 3500 Sierra Denali Duramax right now. Seems pretty nice...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by cam02ss View Post
    I'll have to take a look at Dodge again then. For a while it seemed like you couldn't even get leather unless you opted for the Laramie. I'm on GMC's site building a 3500 Sierra Denali Duramax right now. Seems pretty nice...
    That's just my opinion so take it as such. My brother bought a '14 dodge & the interior is awesome on that thing. Stereo is bad as hell too. I just like the dash looks & the little stuff dodge does. GM definitely needs to play catch up when it comes to that stuff. Dodge gets the cummins too which is another plus. I'm not really a dodge fan and i would catch all kinds of hell from everyone i know because everyone knows i'm a gm guy but i fully intend to take a serious unbiased look at dodge the next time i buy a truck. Now if gm comes out with a megacab that will make it a lot tougher. That cab is the biggest draw for me. Next option would be a long bed gm.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

GM's exteriors aren't much better then the interiors. The HDs look better then the 1/2 tons, but just barely sometimes. The 07ish and newer chevy trucks look stupid with there HUGE front bumpers. Especially the chrome ones. The GMCs look decent though.
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

Thread Information