98 Formula
    06 duramax

cranking the torsion bars....

I figure we could use some more posts in this area......give sunset something to moderate.

I'm cranking my bars for the new wheel/tire combo. Went up 1" but will probably have to go more. Anyone sitting at 2" with a 1" block in the back?

Living the Dream LS1FirehawkWS6's Avatar

2000 Trans-Am
    2007 Silverado 2500HD LTZ

My friend Chris bought Ford torsion keys that fit his bars in the 1/2 ton Sierra. The new keys sit the same height the original GM ones would at full adjustment. So he could go more if he wanted to.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I ended up going up 1.5" and trimming the valance a little and the inner fender skirt a little. I didn't want to crank them up any further than I had too. Between cranking them and going to the taller tire I picked up 4" in height measuring from the front bumper.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

If I knew you had this truck, I coulda hooked you up with some torsion keys to crank it up more. But I sold them when I bought my SS Silverado.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    If I knew you had this truck, I coulda hooked you up with some torsion keys to crank it up more. But I sold them when I bought my SS Silverado.
    the 06's don't really need keys to get the height....you can crank it high enough with the stockers to be considered too far. That's why I didn't want to go all the way up and have suspension issues down the road. I'll still have them due to the heavier/wider wheels and it being cranked where it is now but ideally I'd like to lift it at some point and put the bars back to the stock height.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    the 06's don't really need keys to get the height....you can crank it high enough with the stockers to be considered too far. That's why I didn't want to go all the way up and have suspension issues down the road. I'll still have them due to the heavier/wider wheels and it being cranked where it is now but ideally I'd like to lift it at some point and put the bars back to the stock height.
    Well she sure is purrrrdy.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Our Ranger and Durango both have torsion bar front ends. I noticed the other day that the Durango appears to set lower on the passenger side front -- but I didn't bother to measure it. If I do crank it up to level the vehicle, is there any adverse affect on wheel alignment? It may be about an inch off by the look of it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah, you'll have to get it aligned after you crank it. It'll for sure throw your caster off.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

yeah, you'll have to get it aligned after you crank it. It'll for sure throw your caster off.

Makes me wonder about my last alignment on it... seems like they should have noticed the difference. Thanks.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

even from the factory they'll be off side to side a bit. You'll also get some sag on the bars and it might not be the same side to side. Mine was 5/16" off side to side when I started.

Bright Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Question

even from the factory they'll be off side to side a bit. You'll also get some sag on the bars and it might not be the same side to side. Mine was 5/16" off side to side when I started.
    Orion, just curious what cranking the stock bars did to ride quality? I know on my 2002 Z71 even when I swapped in the "leveling kit" there was a point when initially cranking them up that they went from "near stock" to "way too rough and way too stiff" riding....was just wondering if your ride quality diminished any?

I know with my present settings, my truck rides as well as stock....well it did after swapping to stock GM 17's and taking off the pictured noisy BFG's.

2002 Silverado Z71 ECSB HPTuners tuned by yours truly
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 6.0, 4L80E, 9" rear
    webpage: http://www.fquick.com/rel3rd/

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the stock ride on mine was pretty rough to begin with IMO....after cranking them there's really not much difference there to me. Maybe a little bit but still not bad at all. The rear of the truck is where most of the harsh ride comes from IMO....don't know if it's the springs in the 2500 or what but the back end bounces around quite a bit over bumps

Bright Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Red face

the stock ride on mine was pretty rough to begin with IMO....after cranking them there's really not much difference there to me. Maybe a little bit but still not bad at all. The rear of the truck is where most of the harsh ride comes from IMO....don't know if it's the springs in the 2500 or what but the back end bounces around quite a bit over bumps
    oops. Gotcha. Didn't realize that you had a 2500 series.

Thread Information