9.62/140

Can't put gas in any quicker than a dribble

04 Silverado 1500, 5.3L I can't even use the lowest auto shutoff setting at the gas pumps with out it tripping like the truck is full. I have to hold the lever just a little on to refuel the damn thing, takes 10 minutes to put in 20 gal. There's no obvious kinks in the filler neck or the vent lines, problem has sort of developed in the last couple of months. At 1st I thought its was something with the particular gas pump I was at since the issue was intermittent, has gradually gotten worse & now it's all the time. I ran an electricians''s tape down the filler didn't seem to be anything blocking. Any help is appreciated.

Mark

Bright Red
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Mark, Unless filler neck itself has been smashed in an accident or something, I'd think it pretty much has to be the vent hose, or the actual vent hose fitting on top of the tank. It must be clogged or something. Maybe the hose has failed internally?

I work in an industrial shop and have seen different hoses do that before...they collapse internally, but still look fine from the outside. Ironically, it's usually a fuel line/return line, but mostly I've seen it on diesels.

You can use compressed air to verify, and maybe "fix" it, assuming the vent hose is accessible enough, up near the filler opening.
    2002 Silverado Z71 ECSB HPTuners tuned by yours truly
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 6.0, 4L80E, 9" rear
    webpage: http://www.fquick.com/rel3rd/

Green
    1996 Acura Integra

I noticed that in Cape Cod that I had to hold the nozzle a certain way to keep it from popping like it was full. It was at all of the pumps. I noticed that the pumps had a a sticker stating that the pumps had a feature that kept it from pumping at certain angles. My s-10's filler neck was just a little off from that angle. I don't know if Maryland has adopted the same safety standards as Massachusetts but they could have. Try angling the nozzle a little more down to see if that helps.

white
    83 mustang coupe

Had a ranger with the same problem hose didn't look bad but after hours of headache replaced the filler hose and it fixed it.

yellow
    2002 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by crossbredfoxbody View Post
    Had a ranger with the same problem hose didn't look bad but after hours of headache replaced the filler hose and it fixed it.
    Question did you replace the filler hose or vent hose?
    What did you find on the hose blockage?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I had the same problem with a Chevy 2500 work van. Some sort of vent problem and some sort of charcoal fuel canister or something like that was clogged if I remember correctly.
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Anyone find out for certain post it up please. My wifes 05 suburban does the same thing and it also has check engine lite on, i think po480 or something, can't remember it's been a while.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Did'nt read all the posts but have you tried not putting the pump nozzle all the way into the filler hole? Some times it's that stupid rubber cup on the end that some pumps have to catch any fumes that get released. It's a joke and does nothing except stop the pump and give the person trying to fill up a hastle. I usually just hold the nozzle in just enough so that gas does'nt splash out. Always worked for me over the years.. Basicly doing this over rides the vapor cutoff built into modern pump handles..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

My damn camaro doe sit haha probably not as bad but it does it

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

My car does the same put it in like you normally would then rotate the pump upside down, this way it fills up fine.

Quote Originally Posted by zeetwentyeight View Post
    my damn camaro doe sit haha probably not as bad but it does it
    ^ put down the gin and tonic and get some sleep.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    ^ put down the gin and tonic and get some sleep.

You got it wrong my friend jager bombs and coors light

white
    2002 B4C

Darn! My car just started doing this! The SES light went on the other day and I checked the code: P440. I had already repaired the vent line to the EVAP canister twice, so I thought it was going to be that, but before I looked at it I went to get gas. Got about a 1/2 gallon in and it squirts out, won't let fuel in. So I put the gas cap back on and started driving home and the SES light went off???? I also noticed poor gas mileage or maybe someone siphoned my gas?

Quote Originally Posted by loasdrums View Post
    I noticed that in Cape Cod that I had to hold the nozzle a certain way to keep it from popping like it was full. It was at all of the pumps. I noticed that the pumps had a a sticker stating that the pumps had a feature that kept it from pumping at certain angles. My s-10's filler neck was just a little off from that angle. I don't know if Maryland has adopted the same safety standards as Massachusetts but they could have. Try angling the nozzle a little more down to see if that helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Did'nt read all the posts but have you tried not putting the pump nozzle all the way into the filler hole? Some times it's that stupid rubber cup on the end that some pumps have to catch any fumes that get released. It's a joke and does nothing except stop the pump and give the person trying to fill up a hastle. I usually just hold the nozzle in just enough so that gas does'nt splash out. Always worked for me over the years.. Basicly doing this over rides the vapor cutoff built into modern pump handles..

These are the same methods I have to do at the pumps. This has even been a problem on my older vehicles (talking 40+ years old). Long before electronic vapor crap.

It seems it's different depending on where I fill up. These auto shut offs have gotten extremely sensitive due to ever more restricting EPA standards. I find different angles work, and I always have to keep the nozzle about halfway out of the fill neck. Some stations are worse than others.
    Some of these pumps that have the huge rubber cone to catch fumes have to be pushed back to trigger the pump, or they won't dispense gas. I find in those instances I have to pull it back myself with my other hand, so I can pull the nozzle part way out of the fill neck, then proceed to pump the gas.
    Some of those contraptions are so large I can't even get the pump nozzle into the fill neck properly on some of my older cars, in which case I leave and get gas somewhere else.
    I have 9 cars in the stable, including 2 4th gens, and they all have their own little quirks on how to place the fill nozzle. So it's not the cars fault per say, I just find these pumps more difficult to operate.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    These are the same methods I have to do at the pumps. This has even been a problem on my older vehicles (talking 40+ years old). Long before electronic vapor crap.

It seems it's different depending on where I fill up. These auto shut offs have gotten extremely sensitive due to ever more restricting EPA standards. I find different angles work, and I always have to keep the nozzle about halfway out of the fill neck. Some stations are worse than others.
    Some of these pumps that have the huge rubber cone to catch fumes have to be pushed back to trigger the pump, or they won't dispense gas. I find in those instances I have to pull it back myself with my other hand, so I can pull the nozzle part way out of the fill neck, then proceed to pump the gas.
    Some of those contraptions are so large I can't even get the pump nozzle into the fill neck properly on some of my older cars, in which case I leave and get gas somewhere else.
    I have 9 cars in the stable, including 2 4th gens, and they all have their own little quirks on how to place the fill nozzle. So it's not the cars fault per say, I just find these pumps more difficult to operate.
    We're a little more lucky here in my end of PA. We still have stations that don't have any sort of vapor control. More and more are getting them tho, and we also have pumps that cut off if they "detect" an overfill situation. They are a pain too sometimes especially if the car/truck has a bend in the filler neck right after the fill opening. Most places also remove the handle lock so you can't lock the handle while pumping. A total PITA when is blowing 20-30 mph gusts with wind chills in the -10 to -40 range. Effin' hands freeze solid ..

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    We're a little more lucky here in my end of PA. We still have stations that don't have any sort of vapor control. More and more are getting them tho, and we also have pumps that cut off if they "detect" an overfill situation. They are a pain too sometimes especially if the car/truck has a bend in the filler neck right after the fill opening. Most places also remove the handle lock so you can't lock the handle while pumping. A total PITA when is blowing 20-30 mph gusts with wind chills in the -10 to -40 range. Effin' hands freeze solid ..
    I know what you mean. I don't even use the handle locks anymore. I prefer to hold the handle and control the amount of gas flow I need,,,to help limit the possibility of access fuel splashing out onto my paint.

I've found sometimes those locks won't shut off quick enough when the fuel comes up the fill neck, or sometimes they don't shut off at all,,,,ugh!!!

Sunset Orange Metallic-M6
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Weve had the same problem with our 2003 5.3L Avalanche and 2005 5.3L Suburban, but only when Im at school in VA. I think it has to do with the pump sensitivity too. I dont have the problems back home in NJ.
    Last edited by tav8ws6; 02-26-2010 at 06:38 PM.

Thread Information