Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

brake controller ordered.....

Will be here tomorrow. I went with a Prodigy P2. Read/heard a lot of good things about it. I'll let you guys know what I think about it when it gets here....and I get a trailer with brakes.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You beat me to it. I had that recommended to me in another thread and was just on their site the other day reading about them. I really didn't see a need for all the crap on the P3. What made you decide to go with the P2?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

a lot of good reviews and price. The Max Brake would be nice to have but I'm not paying $400 for a brake controller....just not going to happen. I was between the Hayes G2 and the prodigy.....just read a lot more positive reviews on the prodigy although the Hayes has it's followers too and offers a no drill mount which would've been cool but that got trumped by prodigy having a quick disconnect.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

mounted controller today....should be picking up my camper either the middle of this week or early next week. I'll be out of town over the weekend so it either has to happen before then or after. Still gotta mount the hitch in the truck....going to pick that up tomorrow.

Controller mount was a piece of cake. Plug one end into a spot on the box by the brake pedal, mount the pocket mount to the dash with 2 screws, and plug the other end of it into the controller. No way I'd pay someone to do that and I believe if 90% of the people new how easy it was they wouldn't either.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Did you order anything other than the controller? My truck is pre-wired for the installation, so I do not believe there is anything else I need. Just want to be sure I do not miss something -- never had a brake controller before.

Silver
    1999 Camaro SS

My truck was wired for electric brakes and when I ordered my controller (P3 as I got a good deal on it), I also ordered the OEM adapter for my truck and it plugs right in with no splicing or anything. I had the whole controller mounted within 10 minutes.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 99WickedSS View Post
    My truck was wired for electric brakes and when I ordered my controller (P3 as I got a good deal on it), I also ordered the OEM adapter for my truck and it plugs right in with no splicing or anything. I had the whole controller mounted within 10 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Did you order anything other than the controller? My truck is pre-wired for the installation, so I do not believe there is anything else I need. Just want to be sure I do not miss something -- never had a brake controller before.
    is it for your suburban or a different truck? I ordered from brakecontroller.com and the harness I needed was included. Direct plug in...nothing else needed like 99wickedss said. There's a fuse box right next to the brake pedal and it has a spot in it to plug the controller into.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Suburban. I did some more reading last night on the site I ordered from. It did not appear that a harness was necessary to install the controller to the underdash wiring. We'll see when it gets here -- I went with the P2 as well.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Suburban. I did some more reading last night on the site I ordered from. It did not appear that a harness was necessary to install the controller to the underdash wiring. We'll see when it gets here -- I went with the P2 as well.
    mine came with a wire kit where you could hard wire it....don't use that. Order the plug n play harness or get one from the dealership.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    mine came with a wire kit where you could hard wire it....don't use that. Order the plug n play harness or get one from the dealership.
    I believe you have the last year truck for the plug and play set up, where it was set up with a plug in from the factory. All the GMT900 trucks require the control to be hard wired under the dash, though it's not too bad.

Jeff, make sure you attatch the wires under the hood to the underhood fuse block to make your brake control active. If you haven't done that already. If you need a play by play then let me know and I'll hook you up.... I've done hundreds.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I think you gave me a play-by-play in the thread I started. Someone also posted a link to an installation video too. I should be all set, just need to call and get the trailer ordered now.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I think you gave me a play-by-play in the thread I started. Someone also posted a link to an installation video too. I should be all set, just need to call and get the trailer ordered now.
    Excellent. Maybe one day I'll take pictures and do a legit write up for this section, since it seems more and more people are getting 900 platform trucks.

You guys are spoiled with your plug and play brake controllers in your fancy dancy new trucks

Years back when I did mine, there was no such thing, I had to make my own harness setup running the length of the truck and back

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You guys are spoiled with your plug and play brake controllers in your fancy dancy new trucks

Years back when I did mine, there was no such thing, I had to make my own harness setup running the length of the truck and back
    we've came a long ways since the Model A Larry....you'd be surprised. That brake controller on mine was a joke install. Took me longer to mount the pocket mount to the dash than anything else.

Picked up my hitch today...literally. I picked it up and sat it in the back of the truck. Not sure what it weighs but it about gave me a triple hernia getting it in and out of the truck. I have to do a tranny fluid/filter on the wifes ride tomorrow morning and then I'll get started on the hitch install. Last guy had one in there already so the holes are already drilled out....just gotta line it all up and drop the bolts in the holes and tighten it down. I'm using the impact and the german torque standard of goodentite.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Larry....I know you don't get in AAG much. Here's my new camper.....

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153620

Looked at that website Orion,,,,back when I did mine, the top of the line brake controller back then was like that Voyager listed in there for $99. The good ole pendulum style Still working good for me.

It's probably what I'll go with again on my blazer after the engine swap is done to tote my utility trailer around. They are simpler to wire up in these old trucks and get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Larry....I know you don't get in AAG much. Here's my new camper.....

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153620
    Wow, that's a biggin Went 5th wheel I see. Sure makes backing up nice in those tight camping spots. I would have liked that on my enclosed to distribute the weight better, but I just can't bring myself to drill a bunch of holes in a rust free 33 year old truck

You and the family are going to have a ball in that.

Hey I scrolled down, I think that's the first time I've seen a pic of your truck.

Is that a blueish grey color?? If there is one vehicle I like black wheels on it's a big 4x4 truck. Nice looking truck

98 Formula
    06 duramax

thanks......they call it imperial blue I believe but yeah....it's a blueish grey. I see a few of them here and there that color but not near as many as the champaign color...ton of those damn things around. I need to get out and get more pictures.....was just telling the wife tonight that we have very few of the dog as a pup and now he's huge so we kinda missed that time.

I just saw a newer chevy truck yesterday that looks like that color, that's a good looking color. Your pic doesn't do it justice, much better looking in person.
    My fathers 2003 3/4 ton is that champaign gold color you mentioned. I've seen that around quite a bit, especially out here in AZ. Seems most people go for lighter colors out here because of the heat.

Thread Information