Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Anybody tweak your truck with HPtuners?

Wondering what everyone (or anyone) has done to tweak their truck with HPtuners. As stupid as this might sound, I'd like to be able to make my truck do a burnout. I mean, I can kinda scratch the tires a bit here and there, but it seems like I should be able to spin them at will. I made some tiny changes and reflashed the truck but I have more to do. Thinking about disabling most or all of the Torque Management and getting rid of the Power Enrichment delay. Maybe add a few degrees of timing to the lower rpm range. Anything else I can try or think about?
    BTW its a 01 Silverado 4wd, 5.3, cable throttle body, 3.73 gears.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Need the warranty to expire and then am going to install a cooler thermostat and tweak the fan settings for starters. I am just about to the point of ordering a Magnaflow Catback for it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would at least reduce TM by 50%. Did you lean it out and add any timing? Those 5.3's can be potent little engines with some mods and tuning.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Truck is a a 04 GMC Sierra RCSB Z71 5.3 and 4:10s
    Mods: LS1 E-fans, Specter cold air intake W/ Amsoil cone filter.
    I did a full street tune and am averaging 18.5-19 mpg mostly city. I have just put in my fuel economy tune and am wating on the MPG results. I have also did a street tune on a 2000 silverado ECSB Z71 5.3 3:73s Headers, Specter cold air intake W/ Amsoil cone filter, Catless-Y, Magnaflow exhaust, LS1 E-fans. That truck had almost 200K on it, and it would still light up the tires. And this weekend I'm tuning an 07 Sierra ECSB with the HO-5.3 3.73s. Same mods as the the 2000. All of them will have street tunes with the tranny settings ajusted. TM, torque conveter lock-up, shift points,and Speedo recalibrated w/gps. I'm sure there are a few things I'm missing it will all come to me when I'm working on that 07 this weekend. If you would like I could send you the tune from that 2000 to look at.
    Last edited by Sweet Chops; 09-01-2011 at 06:39 AM.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I wish I could do a burnout... Damn AWD....

Stock tune, magnaflow mufflers, and K&n CAI... she has enough get up and go. Debating on getting a Frost mail order tune, but can't really afford to have my truck down for too long.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chops View Post
    If you would like I could send you the tune from that 2000 to look at.
    I would love that. I've made a tune for my truck now and if it stops raining I'll take the laptop out there and load it in and see what happens. I'm also working on a tune for a 06 GMC 1500HD 6.0 4L80e.
    Turns out there isn't nearly as much TM on the 6.0/4L80e from the factory as my 5.3/4L60e. I've been reading that there is a nice seat of the pants improvement from changing how fast power enrichment comes on (comparing a LS1 F-Body to a truck) and reducing TM.
    I should really get a wideband to verify my changes.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

I would like to know how that goes i have a 07 z71 classic and have been wanting to get some more mileage and power mine will do a burn out but not a big one did a cold air intake and true duals (recommend a cat back i wouldn't do that again) i have a pocket tunner that thing sucks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    I would love that. I've made a tune for my truck now and if it stops raining I'll take the laptop out there and load it in and see what happens. I'm also working on a tune for a 06 GMC 1500HD 6.0 4L80e.
    Turns out there isn't nearly as much TM on the 6.0/4L80e from the factory as my 5.3/4L60e. I've been reading that there is a nice seat of the pants improvement from changing how fast power enrichment comes on (comparing a LS1 F-Body to a truck) and reducing TM.
    if funds permit it'd be nice to throw a small stall at it too.......that would wake that thing right up.

Judging by my tune on my 6.0, it appears to me that my power enrichment comes in very late compared to my 4th gen. In my 6.0 tune it shows throttle angle has to reach 90% which seems extremely late to me, where as my 4th gen is around 40% or so.

I'm running the 6.0 in my 72 blazer with a 4L60E behind mine (the 4L80 wouldn't fit this swap). I've only begun to tune it as I haven't had the time to hook up the wideband and/or the weather just wasn't cooperating.
    So far I've tweaked the timing tables only slightly in the upper load areas with total timing right now at 22 degrees to stay conservative until I get the AFR dialed in. These truck tunes have very crappy timing tables from the factory. No knock so far but it's still running the stock rich fuel tables. I've changed some shift points around, torque converter lockup, and other misc drivability stuff. Right now I'm getting 16 mpg city driving and I got a high of 19 mpg on the highway. I believe there is more in it both in gas mileage and power, as I've only started tweaking it.

My biggest hangup right now is tuning the VE and MAF tables since this setup has the IAT's incorporated into the MAF, I haven't found a way to disable the MAF for VE tuning without killing the IAT's, so I've left fueling tables alone at this point. It's still commanding 11.7 AFR at WOT according to the tune, but again I haven't had the wideband on it yet.

I may cheat and simply adjust the MAF tables in the upper ranges to lean the AFR to 12.8 or so with the wideband and leave the rest of it alone at this point just to save all the headache. Then go back and touch up my timing tables and call it done.
    Runs pretty damn good as is for a big ole' blazer.

Just today I also threw in a simple gas mileage tuning trick that I run in my wifes 4th gen.

Basically tricking the 02 switch points in the low rpm (low load) part throttle cruise areas to lean the AFR slightly.

On my wifes car it was worth a solid 3-4 mpg increase in gas mileage without any drivability issues. So I tossed it in the blazer today. I won't know any changes until next fillup later this week. But if my wifes car is any indication, I should see well over 20 mpg highway over my best of 19 before the change.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you can relocate that IAT out of the MAF......pm sent with link to information on doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you can relocate that IAT out of the MAF......pm sent with link to information on doing it.
    I would love to do that, as a matter of fact that's how I wanted the wiring setup built in the first place but Howell wouldn't do it. Actually I wanted to eliminate the MAF all together and run SD, and they wouldn't do that either due to they were having tuning issues with it. Not sure why that is.
    Thanks for the PM Orion, I'll definately read that thoroughly. I'd really like to tune the fuel tables properly and go through the VE tables first, but this IAT has been a hangup. You are the man.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well....even if you don't do anything right now it would be nice having that option down the line if you wanted to toss a cam in there. The GTO guys have been relocating that IAT for years so I'm sure there's a ton of info out there.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Judging by my tune on my 6.0, it appears to me that my power enrichment comes in very late compared to my 4th gen. In my 6.0 tune it shows throttle angle has to reach 90% which seems extremely late to me, where as my 4th gen is around 40% or so.
    Yes, exactly what I was referring to. In fact I just straight copied my LS1 'power enrichment enable TPS' chart over to the truck tune. But even after completely disabling torque management and speeding up power enrichment, I really didn't feel a whole lot of difference. IDK, it may have been a little bit snappier but not much. So I've reflashed back to stock for now.

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    well....even if you don't do anything right now it would be nice having that option down the line if you wanted to toss a cam in there. The GTO guys have been relocating that IAT for years so I'm sure there's a ton of info out there.

Did you PM it? Because I'm not seeing anything. Or I'm not looking correctly in this new format.

Yes, exactly what I was referring to. In fact I just straight copied my LS1 'power enrichment enable TPS' chart over to the truck tune. But even after completely disabling torque management and speeding up power enrichment, I really didn't feel a whole lot of difference. IDK, it may have been a little bit snappier but not much. So I've reflashed back to stock for now.
    I haven't messed with the PE on mine yet, simply because I haven't even started tuning the fueling tables yet. I have no idea why PE is commanded so late on these truck tunes but when I first noticed that it did kind of worry me.
    You can put a pretty good load on the engine at 70-80% throttle, especially if you are pulling something. So the last thing I would want is an AFR that is commanding stoich (14.62) when there is that much load,,,,that's just inviting detonation.

When I get down to it, I will more than likely command my PE to come in sooner, probably much like our 4th gen does. Especially since I do plan to do some light towing with it.

If I had to guess, the late PE is probably there because GM knew these engines would be used in towing applications and they may have been trying to improve on the fuel economy while towing.
    Since this lean AFR would invite detonation under moderate loads, it might also explain why the timing tables on these trucks are so low. And I mean very low, in some cells you are looking at negative numbers, with total timing only as high as 12 degrees in some areas. Pathetic to say the least, but it probably cuts down on warranty claims considering what these trucks might go through.

I don't know, just shooting in the dark here.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Firebird

All I have ever done to fail the MAF when VE tuning was set the MAF Fail Frequency to 0 and DTC P0103 to #2 NO MIL LIGHT. You will see that the maf is still reading when you have your scanner open but the PCM is not using it because it thinks it has failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Chops View Post
    Firebird

All I have ever done to fail the MAF when VE tuning was set the MAF Fail Frequency to 0 and DTC P0103 to #2 NO MIL LIGHT. You will see that the maf is still reading when you have your scanner open but the PCM is not using it because it thinks it has failed.
    Yep, that's how I used to do it with the 4th gens (before I went SD) and that works fine with the 4th gens. But on this 6.0 the IAT's are incorporated into the MAF unlike a 4th gen that has it seperate.
    From what I'm gathering there is something more to it with this setup to do VE tuning. I'm not sure if killing the MAF makes the IAT's inoperable or not. I'm not clear on the whole thing yet, and quite honestly I'd like to move the IAT's to the air intake tube (like a 4th gen) and eliminate that issue all together. What I would like even more is to eliminate the MAF all together.

In the mean time I would like to get the fuel tables dialed in with what I have, but the IAT's are holding me back. I'll have to get on HP's site and do a bunch of reading on the subject when I get a chance.
    If I can simply fail the MAF like you mentioned without an IAT issue, then I'm all for it.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 09-05-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

I just did a full street tune w/ WB on my buddys 07 classic HO 5.3 Z71 and the IAT is also part of the Maf. I failed it that way it it worked fine. What year PCM are you using?

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information