98 Formula
    06 duramax

air bag light on

Air bag light on the dmax is on. Anyone know if efilive or hptuners will read that code? I'm guessing they won't but thought I'd ask. Any tips on trouble shooting it without a trip to the dealership? I figure either a bad sensor or bad wire. Would be easier though if I could narrow it down.

red
    95 Z28

I think you can ohm out the sensors individually. Other than that you're checking connections and chasing wires

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's kinda what I was thinking....I believe there are 2 of those sensors under the bumper. I'll have to hunt around and find the specs and then ohm those out.......after unhooking the batteries of course. If it were just me I could live without airbags which is the state they're in right now but my wife prefers to have a working air bag and with vacation and camper towing season right around the corner I want to get on this and fix it. The list of shit to fix on that truck is starting to get a little long.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

air bag light on

On the trucks, is usually one of the front end sensors behind the front bumper area. No need to test them, the trouble code doesn't have much(or any) diagnostic to it. Just says discard sensor.
    Be careful testing airbag stuff. An ohmmeter puts out electricity in order to measure resistance. That electricity can blow your airbag and hurt you.
    -------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

What Aaron is trying to say Tim, is that you should be sitting in the driver seat holding at least one beer while a buddy probes the air bag connections.

I have a P0449 on our Suburban right now - just picked up a new vent solenoid assembly and adapter harness to install this evening.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    that's kinda what I was thinking....I believe there are 2 of those sensors under the bumper. I'll have to hunt around and find the specs and then ohm those out.......after unhooking the batteries of course. If it were just me I could live without airbags which is the state they're in right now but my wife prefers to have a working air bag and with vacation and camper towing season right around the corner I want to get on this and fix it. The list of shit to fix on that truck is starting to get a little long.
    Time to trade.

But I do agree with Jeff...make sure you are in the drivers seat when somebody is fooling around with the sensors in the bumper. Make sure your wife gets it on camera too...could be a $1 million video
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    On the trucks, is usually one of the front end sensors behind the front bumper area. No need to test them, the trouble code doesn't have much(or any) diagnostic to it. Just says discard sensor.
    Be careful testing airbag stuff. An ohmmeter puts out electricity in order to measure resistance. That electricity can blow your airbag and hurt you.
    the problem I have is knowing which sensor is bad (they're about a $75-$80 sensor at rockauto)....thought maybe I could ohm them out to determine if one of them needs replaced. I figure I would be fine ohming it from the plug back to the sensor so it wouldn't be plugged into the bag when I hit it with the meter. Like I say....I would also make sure the batteries were unhooked. Any idea on what they should ohm out at?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    What Aaron is trying to say Tim, is that you should be sitting in the driver seat holding at least one beer while a buddy probes the air bag connections.

I have a P0449 on our Suburban right now - just picked up a new vent solenoid assembly and adapter harness to install this evening.
    how do you know I wouldn't be doing that anyhow?

I have this air bag deal to fix, a glow plug which I have sitting here already, rear brakes, and then the door handles for the back door. Both are broken. Cheap ass GM plastic. This is the 2nd time they've broken during the winter on me. This time I fixed the root issue I believe.......the rods were out of adjustment on the door latches so hopefully this will be the last time.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

air bag light on

You can ohm out sensors, I'll see if I can find specs. Just don't hook your meter up to an air bag itself.
    Both front sensors are the same I think. So if your a gambling man, buy one front end sensor. Plug it in in the left side and see if the light goes out. If not, then plug it in the right side.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    You can ohm out sensors, I'll see if I can find specs. Just don't hook your meter up to an air bag itself.
    Both front sensors are the same I think. So if your a gambling man, buy one front end sensor. Plug it in in the left side and see if the light goes out. If not, then plug it in the right side.
    I had thought about just doing that too......the way my luck goes though it won't even be a sensor so if I can ohm it out to make sure that'd make me feel better about ordering one.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I couldn't find a ohm spec for the front end sensor. The service manual describes the issue as the sensor sends a "not ok " message to the air bag computer.
    You might have to find someone to read the code so it can point u in the right direction.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Tim: I found this in a Chevy truck forum --

New Dorman sensors showed up. They do have an ohm value to them. 19.7 and 20.2. The bad ones on the truck are showing open. FYI.

Thread Information