Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

ABS module for a 96 Silverado

I am having a very hard time finding an ABS module and sensor for a 96 C1500 5.0.

GM wants $883 for the module and $150 for the left sensor.

I did find a few guys on ebay that rebuild them for around $100 give or take with a 5 year warranty. The ones I checked, have very good feedback.

Does anyone know anyone who has had this done or any feedback for me on this? Good idea or no? I don't want to go through the dealership and can't seem to find one anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    I am having a very hard time finding an ABS module and sensor for a 96 C1500 5.0.

GM wants $883 for the module and $150 for the left sensor.

I did find a few guys on ebay that rebuild them for around $100 give or take with a 5 year warranty. The ones I checked, have very good feedback.

Does anyone know anyone who has had this done or any feedback for me on this? Good idea or no? I don't want to go through the dealership and can't seem to find one anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated
    Turn that 96 into a 2006 and you'll be much happier

I can check at work tomorrow for ya.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Turn that 96 into a 2006 and you'll be much happier

I can check at work tomorrow for ya.
    Please do!

He loves that old truck. It's got almost 250k on it

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Any luck, Andy?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Any luck, Andy?
    lol sorry, I haven't checked yet... been a busy morning. I'm on lunch now but I'll hop on it once I get back to the shop.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Ok.... Checked on the parts, we are actually $2 more expensive. Checked with a tech who had a c1500 with the same problem. He picked an ABS module up at a junk yard and it worked. He said it's a 50/50 chance though getting a good one from a junk yard. He also said you need a TechII to bleed the air out of the ABS... I know, not the kind of news you wanted to hear... lol

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Thanks. I appreciate it.

I have found a few online for between $517 and $583. But, yeah. I'm off to Pick your part tomorrow to see if I can find one there. I also need the front left sensor.

I know, 50/50 chance of one working. But, I'll see what they've got and what they want for one.

I called and they keep no record of what vehicles they have either So, it'll be a total scavenger hunt

And, we're not doing the work. My Mechanic is letting me get all the parts and just charging me labor to take care of it. You know what they say... A good Doctor or trusted Mechanic are worth their weight in gold

Thanks again

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Thanks. I appreciate it.

I have found a few online for between $517 and $583. But, yeah. I'm off to Pick your part tomorrow to see if I can find one there. I also need the front left sensor.

I know, 50/50 chance of one working. But, I'll see what they've got and what they want for one.

I called and they keep no record of what vehicles they have either So, it'll be a total scavenger hunt

And, we're not doing the work. My Mechanic is letting me get all the parts and just charging me labor to take care of it. You know what they say... A good Doctor or trusted Mechanic are worth their weight in gold

Thanks again
    You're welcome... sorry I couldn't be more help... or at least have better news for you.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I totally scored!! $140 shipped. Tested, refurbished, Pump and module, 90 day warranty, which is better than I'd get at pick your part and I didn't even have to break a nail getting the damn thing out

Doing the happy dance

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I totally scored!! $140 shipped. Tested, refurbished, Pump and module, 90 day warranty, which is better than I'd get at pick your part and I didn't even have to break a nail getting the damn thing out

Doing the happy dance
    YAY!!!

97 L31

I like those older GMT400 trucks. I have a 1997 reg cab shortbox, Vortec L31 350, 4l60e trans with a stock L35 V6 torque converter(allows for 2800rpm at WOT, rear tires locked),now have 3.42 gears from 4.10's, custom steel driveshaft, stock longblock, GM/Mercruiser marine intake manifold with real 28.4 lb/hr injectors(no more poppets), Hooker Comp series longtube headers, into dual 2 1/2" exhaust into dual 4" side exits b4 rear tire. hybrid K&N/custom air intake. I tune the old blackbox PCM with Tunercats OBD2. Before the TC and the marine intake, I ran bests of 14.8@94mph 2.007 60ft time. Its got over 400,000 kms on it now, I really enjoy this truck.

peace
    PAuly

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

The 96 is a good strong work vehicle for sure. It's only needed minor repairs over the years. Alternator, starter, fuel pump (x2), belts and then this latest brake issue. It's 100% stock. He puts a lot of miles on it though.

Sounds like a strong truck you've got there yourself.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Those abs moduals on the 96 to 99's suck ass. They are the reason the brakes suck on them half the time. The acumilators are so big 1/4 of the brake pedal movement goes to just filling them. I want to find a way to put the abs modual from a 97 camaro in there insted.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

So far, he hasn't had brake issues until now. He's had more issues with the fuel pump then the brakes.

The first time he did it himself. Then, swore he'd never do it again The next time he had it done. But, it only lasted about a week. It was under warranty, so, they replaced it free of charge, but still

I'm hoping this rebuilt ABS module and pump will last a long time. But, yeah, it'd be cool if we could modify a better one to fit From what I gather, he's been lucky he hasn't had more issues with it.

But, it's all good now

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Yea I did my brakes and then found out about the abs the hard way. I got the drums so tight to get a pedal out of it that one of the drums decided to self adjust untill it locked up. lol I was actually going to a buds house who is a master tech so he could fix the A/C system and I got the whole story about how if your not putting your foot an inch through the floor board the drums are to tight. lol I laughed but we got a good pedal and the drums are good now. No fried shoes.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    Yea I did my brakes and then found out about the abs the hard way. I got the drums so tight to get a pedal out of it that one of the drums decided to self adjust untill it locked up. lol I was actually going to a buds house who is a master tech so he could fix the A/C system and I got the whole story about how if your not putting your foot an inch through the floor board the drums are to tight. lol I laughed but we got a good pedal and the drums are good now. No fried shoes.
    That is about the same thing that happened to my husband He did the brakes pads himself, started having issues pulling to the right when braking. Brought it in and no one could figure out what was going on. Figured the ABS module was taking a dump. And then on his way home from work one night, the left side locked up and started smoking like crazy.

Had the truck towed home and everything was fried. Totally caught on fire and melted everything

So, 'everything' is new now. Replaced both front calipers, rotors, pads, left sensor and the ABS unit and pump. The right sensor and bearings are all that survived

I now know more about his brake system then I needed to

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

lol yup I damn near got mine to the flames part put thank god it was pooring so it help keep it cooler than flames but still smoked the piss out of the shoe.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Funnier now than it was then, huh...

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

lol yea, especially since it did it 4 days before I was going to be towing my 21 foot boat to the FL keys lol. No problems now though.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JaycenK View Post
    lol yea, especially since it did it 4 days before I was going to be towing my 21 foot boat to the FL keys lol. No problems now though.
    I consider that luck right there Better before than during...

Thread Information