Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

about time......

It's about time we got a 1500 series diesel truck.......only problem is it's not a GM which is not really surprising since GM never does anything cutting edge but would rather follow along 3-5 years later. How many sales will GM lose to people that want the power of a diesel but don't want the expense of a 2500? I'm guessing a lot. Nissan backs this engine with a competant tranny and they'll steal a ton of sales until the rest catch up to them. Look for this to hit both the 2500 market AND the 1500 market's sales.

Nissan to Equip Next-Generation Titan Pickup with New Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine - Nissan Online Newsroom
    Last edited by 0rion; 08-21-2013 at 12:27 PM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

What about price. It sounds like this will be a 40k import truck. I just hope the brakes and suspension can keep up with the power plant.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Titan was slipping in sales and Nissan said just wait till you see what we have coming. Looks like they new what they were doing.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

have you priced a new truck lately? I will be curious what the rest of the package looks like but realistically it's not a HD truck so there will be concessions made. The brakes on the 2500's suck balls anyhow. I still say a good many people will love having the option of a diesel's power and mileage that don't need to tow 20k pounds.

red
    95 Z28

I doubt it makes much of a dent in American trucks sales. They put a decent engine in the worst full size truck made (by a wide margin). And Dodge is going to offer the 3.0 diesel in the ram 1500 (same one that's in the grand Cherokee, the VM motorie). They're hinting at mid 20s mpg and I think it's over 400 tq. GM has the baby duramax close to production ready. I'm sure if they see a developing market for such a truck they'll release it. This seems like Nissan's last gasp to save a failing platform. They should have gotten out of full size trucks awhile ago.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I doubt it makes much of a dent in American trucks sales. They put a decent engine in the worst full size truck made (by a wide margin). And Dodge is going to offer the 3.0 diesel in the ram 1500 (same one that's in the grand Cherokee, the VM motorie). They're hinting at mid 20s mpg and I think it's over 400 tq. GM has the baby duramax close to production ready. I'm sure if they see a developing market for such a truck they'll release it. This seems like Nissan's last gasp to save a failing platform. They should have gotten out of full size trucks awhile ago.
    I kinda agree with you that Nissan sucks balls but at one time so did Dodge trucks (still do IMO) but marketing and the new front ends saved that truck. I can see this actually saving Nissan trucks as long as they market it correctly, retool the truck, and option it correctly. Toyota could've gotten away with it much easier but their frigin trucks are already overpriced.....can't imagine what a cummins optioned Tundra would cost. I know a handful of people just off the top of my head that would own a 1500 series diesel. They don't tow a lot of weight but they do tow....campers mostly.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Could they even price it right? Nissan trucks are already in $30k to mid $40k range aren't they? The upfit diesel drivetrain could add...what like $4k to $7k? Worst case scernio its a $47K-$50k Diesel 1/2 ton Titan. I bet you could get a new, nice/okish 2500 Duramax for $50k. It won't be an LTZ but maybe a LT.
    I don't know, maybe my pricing is off.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I shopped for pre-owned diesels when we bought our Suburban. Just couldn't justify the nearly $8,000 price difference, plus the expense of fuel on top of that. Someday I'd like to have one for pulling the trailer...

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I shopped for pre-owned diesels when we bought our Suburban. Just couldn't justify the nearly $8,000 price difference, plus the expense of fuel on top of that. Someday I'd like to have one for pulling the trailer...
    Yep, same thing I said. I shopped alot about a year and half ago when the 454 let go in my 79 1 ton. At that time I wanted a new truck but $60k for a 1 ton diesel? In the end I decided to drop a 502 in the truck. Still love that truck and probably won't get rid of it. But earlier this year I did break down and buy a used D-max 3/4 ton (mainly because I wanted another 4x4 in the fleet, figured why not try a D-max), great truck, fun to drive, and the crew cab is nice for hauling some people around. Even used they are still priced $8k higher than other comparable used gas engine trucks. They seem to hold decent value.

As far as a 1/2 ton diesel, although I'd have no use for it, it's not really a new concept. Years ago Isuzu had diesel mini trucks, although not turbo charged they still returned great gas mileage and that seems to be the main concept here.

I've had big block 1/2 ton trucks in the 70's so the big engine small suspension concept isn't new either, GM made alot of those starting in about 1969. Seems like a mismatch but wasn't a bad truck really. I never towed much over 6,000 lbs. back then anyway. However I prefer to have the big suspension and brakes to go along with the big engine personally. Especially a 500 ft lbs. diesel capable of pulling 10k+ lbs. On a half ton suspension you'll be putting air bags, helper springs, load distribution hitches and all kinds of other shit to keep the bumper from dragging the ground
    So I don't think you'll be really using the turbo diesel to it's full potential in a 1/2 ton chassis. But it sure sounds like something fun to make a hotrod out of

And something else that I know is going to happen, since I'm the pessimistic one of the bunch

You know damn well it's only a matter of time that people buying these trucks with light suspension and a turbo diesel will start pulling stuff the suspension isn't designed for. Next thing you know you'll have 1/2 ton suspension trucks out there trying to pull 30 foot long travel trailers and become a hazzard to everyone else on the road. Wonderfull....
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-25-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Our Suburban came with the factory tow package and the prior owner put airbags in the rear springs. All I had to do was add a weight distribution hitch and I am good up to 10,000 lbs. I think the loaded car trailer ticks in right around 7,000 lbs. Unlikely I would ever go much heavier than that, but the power and torque of a diesel on the hills around here would be nice. I did go for a ride in a friend's F-150 extended cab with the ecoboost 6 cylinder -- that thing pulled hard and I would be interested to see what it would do with my trailer hooked to it.

Our Suburban came with the factory tow package and the prior owner put airbags in the rear springs. All I had to do was add a weight distribution hitch and I am good up to 10,000 lbs. I think the loaded car trailer ticks in right around 7,000 lbs. Unlikely I would ever go much heavier than that, but the power and torque of a diesel on the hills around here would be nice. I did go for a ride in a friend's F-150 extended cab with the ecoboost 6 cylinder -- that thing pulled hard and I would be interested to see what it would do with my trailer hooked to it.
    I'm sure you have a head on your shoulders Jeff and you aren't going to do something that's going to put you in a bad situation.

I can't speak for most of the other egg heads I see on the roadways though...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it's a common thing for people to haul beyond the trucks capacity. I read people doing it even with the 2500's. The 2013 titan is rated to tow 7400 lb's with a weight distributing hitch. That's a fair amount of weight already that they're rated to tow. Even if they didn't do anything else to the truck it would reap benefits from a diesel. Tow even 5000 lb's with a gas burner and then tow that with a diesel and it won't take you long to appreciate the power a diesel offers. The other stuff is going to happen whether that truck has a diesel or not. I bet a fair amount of people out there that have 2500's really don't necessarily have to have them. Most won't be wagging 10k+ around but probably in that 5-7k range. Gas mileage goes from single digits to mid teens.

Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

Cummins... producing a V8 diesel?
    Should have been an I6

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by b.lee View Post
    Should have been an I6

Click for full size
    I would imagine the v8 is how cummins is keeping dodge from shitting bricks

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    it's a common thing for people to haul beyond the trucks capacity. .
    Yeah I know what you mean, I see it here alot which is why I mentioned it. The fact that they are under powered too keeps them from towing all that fast, I think that's their only saving grace. My fear is that with this turbo diesel and a light truck they'll be hot footin' it too, and find out that's a train wreck waitin to happen.

I didn't notice it so much back East but out here camping is a big past time. Everyone has a big travel trailer of some sort, and I see quite a few of them try to pull it with a little lightweight SUV, it's downright scary to watch it sway around. Couple that with the winds that we generally have up here in the high country it's a recipe for problems.

I guess it's just me, but I just prefer to do my towing (any towing) with at least a 3/4 ton truck. I did alot of towing with 1/2 tons years ago, and even short wheel base blazers (still a half ton, but not as friendly) I had some butt puckering experiences when I was young and dumb. Kind of funny now looking back though

Should have been an I6

Click for full size
    Finally wised up Probably time for a change I would think.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I only experience sway if I don't get the load far enough forward in our trailer. Even then, it isn't too bad thanks to the sheer size and mass of our Suburban.

I only experience sway if I don't get the load far enough forward in our trailer. Even then, it isn't too bad thanks to the sheer size and mass of our Suburban.
    You have some girth with that suburban, so that wouldn't bother me. I'm talking about the people around here using Jeep Cherokee's to pull a 25 foot long camper . It might have a V8 in it but really? Common. It's comical and makes you angry at the same time. I might chuckle at the sight of it but I'd be pissed if he lost control and took me out with him because that's just a bonehead move if you ask me.

Just the other day there was a guy coming through town, pulling a big 25-30 foot camper, and on the back of that he had another trailer attached pulling a Polaris side-by-side. That's getting a little ridiculous and it also exceded the maximum towing length allowed here in AZ. (I see this crap all the time since I've moved out here)
    Anyway, he came up to the intersection to turn and obviously overestimated his speed or simply just couldn't stop or slow down. The entire setup flipped over and actually slammed into a tanker truck sitting in the other lane waiting to turn. Hit that so hard it moved the tanker truck into the other lane and took out 3 more cars,,,,no kidding. Had the intersection blocked for 6 hours cleaning up that mess.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-26-2013 at 03:20 PM.

red
    95 Z28

My uncle just got a brand new 2013 Dmax truck. Crew cab, 2500 4x4, LT, 18 inch alloys, backup cam, running boards etc, for 43k. Just got to look for dealers willing to deal. MSRP was well into the 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yep, same thing I said. I shopped alot about a year and half ago when the 454 let go in my 79 1 ton. At that time I wanted a new truck but $60k for a 1 ton diesel? In the end I decided to drop a 502 in the truck. Still love that truck and probably won't get rid of it. But earlier this year I did break down and buy a used D-max 3/4 ton (mainly because I wanted another 4x4 in the fleet, figured why not try a D-max), great truck, fun to drive, and the crew cab is nice for hauling some people around. Even used they are still priced $8k higher than other comparable used gas engine trucks. They seem to hold decent value.

As far as a 1/2 ton diesel, although I'd have no use for it, it's not really a new concept. Years ago Isuzu had diesel mini trucks, although not turbo charged they still returned great gas mileage and that seems to be the main concept here.

I've had big block 1/2 ton trucks in the 70's so the big engine small suspension concept isn't new either, GM made alot of those starting in about 1969. Seems like a mismatch but wasn't a bad truck really. I never towed much over 6,000 lbs. back then anyway. However I prefer to have the big suspension and brakes to go along with the big engine personally. Especially a 500 ft lbs. diesel capable of pulling 10k+ lbs. On a half ton suspension you'll be putting air bags, helper springs, load distribution hitches and all kinds of other shit to keep the bumper from dragging the ground
    So I don't think you'll be really using the turbo diesel to it's full potential in a 1/2 ton chassis. But it sure sounds like something fun to make a hotrod out of
    Nissan builds an exceptionally shitty truck, but even they're smart enough to engineer a suspension that is appropriate for a truck with powertrain. You make it sound like they're not going to change anything from the regular Titan. I'm sure they will.

Should have been an I6

Click for full size
    Good, it should be a V8, for packaging alone. Cummins guys are some of the most stubborn truck guys ever, with their heads buried so far up their asses that they cant see that their precious inline 6 that's in the current Rams has seen its day, and needs to go bye bye. They can keep upping the boost and getting those great peak numbers, but that motor is well beyond its initial design envelope. It's being outclassed by the Duramax when it comes to real world performance.

Thread Information