Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

84 blazer military

Ok I have a deal with the wife when she gets a job i can get a military blazer. The question is was it a GM diesel they used in those(6.2) or some other make? I know the GM diesels was not as good as many others,But is it still worth keeping once it bites the dust. it only has 34k on it so I am thinking on keeping it in there and converting it to burn veggie oil.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Of course!!!! It is a 6.2 and they get up to 24mpg bone stock. They are great engines! Mine is a sbc but the diesel is a good thing to stick with!

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

I think it has a 28 gallon tank and 3.73. It has been a while.

Cosmos Purple
    2004 GTO M6

I normally hang out in the GTO section, but noticed this thread which peaked my interest.
    I worked on the CUCV series Military trucks back in my Army days. '85-'96.
    Yes, as Josh said, it was a 6.2L Diesel with a Turbo 400 trans. This engine was Detroit Diesels first 4 stroke diesel. They were noted for their screaming 2 stroker's which I also worked on. I wouldn't really call them a great engine. Back then they had high failure rates. Especially when the HUMVEE first came out, those were also equipped with the 6.2L diesel. So if you buy one, don't beat the piss out of it.
    We compared a 6.2L out of a Sgt's civilian pickup truck (which blew up after 100,000 miles) to a blown up military 6.2L with way less mileage. Needless to say the castings in the civilian 6.2 were way better than the military 6.2. For example the intake manifold, pistons were very porous in the military engine. We laughed and figured GM was sneaking their reject parts into the military stuff.
    The "5 quarter" ton trucks had 3.73 to 4.10 rearends and the "Blazer" model had 3.08's. Top speed was around 83mph.

As for the CUCV II I have seen but never worked on, those had a 6.5L Detroit in them.
    Have fun with the split 12/24 volt system. If it's still wired that way.
    Good luck with it when you get one.
    04 Cosmos Purple M6, SAP Grills & Spoiler, '05 Hood, Procharger, TrickFlow 515 HP H/C Kit, SLP LT Headers/LM II, '05 Big Red Brake upgrade, Drag bags, Holden CV8R wheels, GMM Ripshifter. Tuned by New Era: 515 rwhp/471 ft.lbs. Retuned by J&J Speed: Speed Density tuned 586rwhp/ 492 ft.lbs.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Thanks for the info!!! I really wasn't planning on beating on it,just using it to get to work and home,hunting fishing ect. So what I will do is just keep saving up to get a better engine when this one pisses out on me.

Oh do you recall if the np 208's was gear driven or chain?
    Last edited by cuervo25_1; 06-08-2009 at 03:54 PM.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by cuervo25_1 View Post
    Thanks for the info!!! I really wasn't planning on beating on it,just using it to get to work and home,hunting fishing ect. So what I will do is just keep saving up to get a better engine when this one pisses out on me.

Oh do you recall if the np 208's was gear driven or chain?
    Chain driven. I have BRAND NEW outta box one for 500 bucks. Brand New.. haha

Mine bit the dust and the cheapest route was to buy two NIB ones

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by Mich's04 View Post
    I We compared a 6.2L out of a Sgt's civilian pickup truck (which blew up after 100,000 miles) to a blown up military 6.2L with way less mileage. Needless to say the castings in the civilian 6.2 were way better than the military 6.2. For example the intake manifold, pistons were very porous in the military engine. We laughed and figured GM was sneaking their reject parts into the military stuff.
    The "5 quarter" ton trucks had 3.73 to 4.10 rearends and the "Blazer" model had 3.08's. Top speed was around 83mph.
    That is interesting. Thanks for the info.

3.08 would certainly boost that range, in addition to the size of the tank.

Have fun with the split 12/24 volt system. If it's still wired that way.
    Good luck with it when you get one.
    The Army still has that dual system on some things, instead of just getting 24v bulbs.

Thread Information