Thread: 6.2 Oil pump

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

6.2 Oil pump

Well, not even 6500 miles on my truck and we're replacing an oil pump. Apparently there were a few of these engines built in a certain time period that had faulty oil pumps from the factory. There was a gap between the casing and pump that was basically aerating the oil. This causes an air rush noise on initial start up, and a lifter tick.

Luckily GM put out a bulletin on this issue so we knew exactly what the issue was as soon as the tech heard the noise. I just hope there isn't any long term damage to the internals.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

i would make sure the dealer makes a note in the paperwork that if the engine fails prematurely it could be caused by the bad pump. make them stand behind the product.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 04yellowjacket View Post
    i would make sure the dealer makes a note in the paperwork that if the engine fails prematurely it could be caused by the bad pump. make them stand behind the product.
    lol I work at the dealer. I'm getting it handled. And with another 4 years on my powertrain warranty, I'm actually not that worried.

yellow
    2004 pontiac gto

well then you have it made then. heck get it modded by the dealer and you still get the warranty as long as you have them do the work. but i am sure you already know that too. but the dealerships do take advantage of the general public that do not know much about cars and trucks. i even have had to use the magnason act on the dealer i bought my gto from. they were going to cancel my warranty because i put on aftermarket exhaust. the whole cars warranty. i told them hell no you will not and showed them the magnason act law, and all was good.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 04yellowjacket View Post
    well then you have it made then. heck get it modded by the dealer and you still get the warranty as long as you have them do the work. but i am sure you already know that too. but the dealerships do take advantage of the general public that do not know much about cars and trucks. i even have had to use the magnason act on the dealer i bought my gto from. they were going to cancel my warranty because i put on aftermarket exhaust. the whole cars warranty. i told them hell no you will not and showed them the magnason act law, and all was good.
    Not all dealers are the same. Here, we deal with modified cars and trucks all the time. If it's a warranty concern it's a warranty concern... If it's the modification that causes the issue, then you're on your own.

We're very easy to deal with. But here in my area, there are a TON of GM dealers in a small radius, so we whatever it takes to keep our customers.

Wow, not something I would have expected on these new trucks, especially since the LS line of engines have been around since 97.
    I know oil pumps were issues first couple years of production (97-98) but improvements and changes in design pretty much eliminated that throughout the following years. Surprised to hear of it on a brand spanking new vehicle.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Wow, not something I would have expected on these new trucks, especially since the LS line of engines have been around since 97.
    I know oil pumps were issues first couple years of production (97-98) but improvements and changes in design pretty much eliminated that throughout the following years. Surprised to hear of it on a brand spanking new vehicle.
    Well I believe it's a different design oil pump for the 6.2 so that may be the issue. Kinda pissed about it, but oh well, I caught it early I suppose.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Well the initial start up chug has gone away completely, but now I'm fighting with an internal tick somewhere. It isn't the normal LS tick either, it stays constant no matter engine or ambient temp. And it is RPM dependent. I think I have a bad lifter already. Probably caused by the faulty oil pump... I'm getting disappointed. But I think I'm going to use this as an excuse to throw in a very mild cam.

Isn't that a brand new truck? Not supposed to have these problems already.

Guess you should have bought a ford or chrysler.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

You bite your tongue FBJ!!!!

It is brand new. I'm kinda pissed about it, but as long as it gets fixed then I think I'll be ok.

red
    95 Z28

They need to put a new engine in that thing. If it's already showing signs of issues from the oil pump going out, then it's only going to get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    You bite your tongue FBJ!!!!

It is brand new. I'm kinda pissed about it, but as long as it gets fixed then I think I'll be ok.
    Just messin' with ya

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    They need to put a new engine in that thing. If it's already showing signs of issues from the oil pump going out, then it's only going to get worse.
    That issue is already being pushed. I should know sometime this week what is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Just messin' with ya
    I know I know

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Well the saga continues... New noised arrived on cold starts and the engine tick never really fully went away. I had my shop take it in while I was in Daytona last week, and as of yesterday, I have a brand new 6.2 under my bonnet. The piston diameters were ALL under spec, and the cylinder walls were ALL over spec. We're talking thousandths of an inch but still kinda scary. No oil blow by, and the rings were all in great shape, but some of my connecter bearings were blued, and showing odd striations. Needless to say, GM wants that motor back to see WTF happened. And I get a new one, which is all I wanted from the start.

red
    95 Z28

Yeah thats a good thing. That motor's issues were never going to end, only get worse.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Agreed. I'm happy but now I have a new engine to break in and get about 8mpgs on for a couple months.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

At least they fixed it the way they should have. Good news in that regard.

Red
    2011 Silverado 6.2

Konigandy6, if you don't mind me asking is there some way I can obtain a copy of the bulletin or is there a TSB for the issue? I have a 2011 that makes pretty significant knock upon initial start up and has what sounds like a lifter tick all of the time.

Thanks,
    Matt

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

-------------------------------------
    Kooks 1 7/8" race headers, Kooks ORY, Borla catback, Nitto 555R, LS6 intake manifold, Shaner S3 ported stock throttle body, SLP lid, smooth bellows, JAAM Ram Air kit, Elite Engineering catch can, LS6 valley cover, EGR and AIR deleted, Frost tune, and Simpson Racing child car seat in the back. 13.2 @ 108MPH

Red
    2011 Silverado 6.2

Thanks for the link it was very helpful.

Thread Information