Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

5.3 Oil Pressure

My stepson recently picked up an '05 GMC truck that has a 5.3 in it. I went for my first ride in it yesterday and noticed that going down the road the oil pressure gauge read right around 19 psi. He got on it once coming up a hill and it did climb almost to 30 psi.

No noise, no ticking or anything, so I am assuming it is a bad sender or faulty gauge, but I would like to plumb a master pressure gauge on it to be sure. Is the sender on the top of the block behind the intake, like on our Trans Am? Or, is there anywhere else a test gauge can be plumbed? Any known issues with the oil pressure gauges or senders?

green
    98 formula

It's probably just a dummy guage. May as well be a light. The sender is in the same area as on the f-body.

black
    02 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My stepson recently picked up an '05 GMC truck that has a 5.3 in it. I went for my first ride in it yesterday and noticed that going down the road the oil pressure gauge read right around 19 psi. He got on it once coming up a hill and it did climb almost to 30 psi.

No noise, no ticking or anything, so I am assuming it is a bad sender or faulty gauge, but I would like to plumb a master pressure gauge on it to be sure. Is the sender on the top of the block behind the intake, like on our Trans Am? Or, is there anywhere else a test gauge can be plumbed? Any known issues with the oil pressure gauges or senders?
    The sender is in the same place as it would be an a Ls1.Those trucks are known to have issues with both the sender and the gauges.To get a perspective they should read about 40psi at idle and just about 60 psi at 2000 rpm.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by importhater81 View Post
    The sender is in the same place as it would be an a Ls1.Those trucks are known to have issues with both the sender and the gauges.To get a perspective they should read about 40psi at idle and just about 60 psi at 2000 rpm.
    That is what I tried to explain to him -- but he just does not understand anything automotive. As long as it starts when he turns the key, goes forward when he presses the gas, and stops when he hits the brakes, that is all he cares about. Kids...

Thanks for the info.

Thread Information