Thread: 5.3 Colorado

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Thumbs up 5.3 Colorado

Hey guys I just ordered a 2009 Colorado with the 5.3 300 HP V-8. I know this is a LS1 derived motor. Anybody have an info/specs on this? Do they call it a LS1 in the Colorado or something else?

1998 Z-28 A4

Thumbs up

I seen one in a book lastnight in Wal-Mart and they called it a Colorado SS and it said powered by a LS1. So it might be.

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

I think it is called LM7. Or at least it was.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

They have the ls-1 style cathedral heads. the block is different w/ shorter stroke and smaller bore, but no it is not what you would call an ls-1.

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Quote Originally Posted by HitManLs1 View Post
    I seen one in a book lastnight in Wal-Mart and they called it a Colorado SS and it said powered by a LS1. So it might be.
    This months sport truck magazine had an article about someone swapping a LS motor into a colorado, and trying to make it look like the bigger Silverado SS. (SS front bumper, rear roll pan, and badges) It looked Factory but is not a vehicle GM is currently making.

Green
    1996 Acura Integra

Quote Originally Posted by mdcrabbie View Post
    Hey guys I just ordered a 2009 Colorado with the 5.3 300 HP V-8. I know this is a LS1 derived motor. Anybody have an info/specs on this? Do they call it a LS1 in the Colorado or something else?
    A year old thread... I just wanted to add some info on the topic from wiki

Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine
    GM LS engine
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    GM LS engine Manufacturer General Motors
    Also called GM Vortec engine
    Production 1997–present
    Predecessor GM LT engine, Chevrolet Small-Block engine, Chevrolet Big-Block engine

The GM LS engine is a new engine design intended as the only V-8 engine utilized in General Motors' line of rear-wheel-drive cars and trucks. The LS series was a clean sheet design with little in common with the classic Chevrolet small block V8. Some LS engines are all-aluminium especially the performance oriented engines while others are cast iron, and all LS engines have 6-bolt main bearing caps.

The LS engine has been the sole powerplant of the Chevrolet Corvette since 1997 and has seen use in a wide variety of other General Motors vehicles, ranging from sport coupes to full size trucks. Due to the engine's relatively compact external dimensions compared to its displacement and power output, the engine family is also a popular choice for kit cars, hot rods, buggies, and even light aircraft.

Generation IV (2005-Current)

In 2005, the Generation III was superseded by the Generation IV. This category of engines has provisions for high-displacement ranges up to 7,011 cc (7.011 L; 427.8 cu in) and power output to 638 bhp (476 kW). Based on the Generation III design, Generation IV was designed with displacement on demand in mind, a technology that allows 4 cylinders in alternating fashion from side to side and front to back to be deactivated. It can also accommodate variable valve timing.

A 3-valve per cylinder design was originally slated for the LS7, which would have been a first for a GM pushrod engine; but the idea was shelved owing to design complexities and when the same two-valve configuration as the other Generation III and IV engines proved to be sufficient to meet the goals for the LS7.

5.3 L

Vortec 5300

The Generation IV Vortec 5300 engines are truck engines that share all the improvements and refinements found in other Generation IV engines. At present, four versions of the 5300 are in production: two iron block versions (LY5 and LMG) and two aluminium block versions (LH6 and LC9). All versions feature the Active Fuel Management system.
    Quote Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Vortec_engine

Generation IV

First introduced in 2005, the Generation IV Vortec 5300 engines share all the improvements and refinements found in other Generation IV engines. At present, four versions of the 5300 are in production: 2 iron block versions (LY5 and LMG) and 2 aluminum block versions (LH6 and LC9). All versions feature the Active Fuel Management system.

LH8

The LH8 Vortec 5300 is a variant of the 5.3 L Gen IV small block V8 modified to fit in the engine bay of the GMT 345 SUV and GMT 355 trucks. It produces 300 hp (220 kW) at 5200 rpm and 320 lb·ft (434 N·m) at 4000 rpm. It has a displacement of 5,328 cc (325.1 cu in). [23]

LH8 applications:

* 2008-present Hummer H3
    * 2009-present Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon
    Summary is that the v8 in the Colorado and in the Canyon is denoted as the LH8 which is a Gen IV (4), as in LS, Vortec, as in truck engine. The LS1 is a Gen III (3) 5.7L rated at 350HP with a bore of 3.9" while the LH8 is a 5.3L rated at 300HP with a bore of 3.78. I don't know and have not yet found the information on what parts are in the LH8. I have seen other sites (including this forum) talking about using the LH8 oil pan. There is more information out there I just haven't put enough time into it.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

what kind of deal did you get on it if you don't mind me asking? I am about to have to turn in my 07 tundra V8 and Chevy seems to want more for the colorado V8's than what I paid for my 07 Tundra 4 door V8 back in 07. Just want to know how much room they have from sticker price.

Thread Information