Red
    2000 Camaro SS

2003 Silverado SS - Gauges Died

I'm trying to help one of the guys I work out with this and I'm coming up short so far. We checked the PCM ground and plugs. I don't really know where to go from there. Electronics are not my specialty.

Back ground: The truck is a 2003 Silverado SS with a VORTEC super charger. The gauges died and we wonder if there's anywhere else we should start looking.

Thanks for any help.
    Y2K SS A4 Y2Y GU5: 12.96@106-SLP FLO PAC|P&P Stock TB | Pacesetter LT's | TSP Rumbler X Duals | B&M Trans Cooler | Rear Tubular LCA's w/ Relocation Brackets | Tubular PHB | SFC's | Diablo Sport Tuning

98 Formula
    06 duramax

all the gauges? Is there a serial cable from the cluster to the pcm?
    Last edited by 0rion; 06-14-2010 at 09:14 AM.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

There was a TSB for 2003 and 2004 gm trucks for the gauge clusters croaking.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=70134

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Not sure if there's a serial cable. I haven't pulled the cluster yet. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious before I got there. Something we did between unplugging the PCM, and turning all the grounds we could find to the right if they'd turn, the guages came back on but nothing we did seemed loose enough or had a connection that would make me think it would've been a problem. Were watching it for now and trying to get an info we can find. Thanks for the recall info.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by IH8EVRY1 View Post
    Not sure if there's a serial cable. I haven't pulled the cluster yet. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious before I got there. Something we did between unplugging the PCM, and turning all the grounds we could find to the right if they'd turn, the guages came back on but nothing we did seemed loose enough or had a connection that would make me think it would've been a problem. Were watching it for now and trying to get an info we can find. Thanks for the recall info.
    It's not a recall... just a special policy. If the actual cluster assembly is bad, it is covered until 70,000 miles at no cost to you.

Is the whole cluster in/op or are just the gauges not working? Is the digital read out still working?

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

It was just the gauges. Everything else worked. We got to look at it in the sunlight today and found the culprit. All is good again. Thanks for the info.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

It was just the gauges. Everything else worked. We got to look at it in the sunlight today and found the culprit. All is good again. Thanks for the info.
    Fill us in!!!! What was the culprit?!?!?

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

The positive battery cable. We were when it was a bad connection the whole time. Turns out you can tighten a battery cable all you want on a side post battery but if there's corrosion under it...well...lesson learned, don't over look the little things. I was trying not to have to say that we were idiots and the battery cable needed cleaned but you asked.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

The positive battery cable. We were when it was a bad connection the whole time. Turns out you can tighten a battery cable all you want on a side post battery but if there's corrosion under it...well...lesson learned, don't over look the little things. I was trying not to have to say that we were idiots and the battery cable needed cleaned but you asked.

Don't feel bad... you'd be surprised how many customers I get in that the exact same thing has happened. It's crazy what low voltage does to vehicle modules.

Thread Information