White
    99 Chevy Silverado 5.3

1 Bar Speed Density tune

Guys, looking for a little help, knowledge, or experience. Ive had HP tuenrs for 1 year and have learned a ton from reading different forums and HP tuners help section , One thing ive learned is the stock OS in a 99 silverado isnt the most optimal system for tuning. I am new to the site and will get a sig setup so it clear what im driving but im kind of short on time and could use some advise. I have a 99 silverado 5.3 liter silverado 4x4, new rebuild bored 30 over, heads milled 30 thou, 212 218 low lift LSx Comp Cam, ASP UD Pulleys, Long Tube ceramic coated Headers, Flexalite E-Fans with Ls1 fan harness running off the PCM, 4.56 gears, eaton e-locker, I-6 Trailblazer stall, dual 3" magnaflow cats to Flowmaster Y pipe to dual in walker muffler with single out to tailpipe, 33" BFG all terrain tires, and a few other small mods. After all ive read I'm pretty confident I want to convert my OS to a 1 bar map SD upgrade using HP tuners. Im fell im getting the hang of tunning enought to do it myself, but I'm curious if anyones able to wrap it up in a nut shell what all needs to be changed to the tune after the upgrade is performed. Does the upgrade change everything in the stock OS tune or does it retain most of the tune with exception of having to tune your timing, IAC, VE and PE via a wideband. I hope im not bouncing around to much. But could really use some help. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. One thing ive noticed about this sight that i like alot more then other sights is the admin team monitors posts and shoots down or delets post from people making stupid or worthless comments. I think thats great. I dont think you should ask anyone to do all the work for you (unless your paying them)but we all have to start some where. Thanks Again and i look forward to hearing from some of you. There seems to be alot of knowledge on this sight from some of the thread ive read. I keep hearing the name frost when it comes to tuning in SD mode. Frost maybe you might have a minute chime in with your thoughts if not thanks anyways. Sorry fro the huge thread starter.

White
    99 Chevy Silverado 5.3

One more question i for got to mention is ive read to upgrade you need to disable the maf but still use the itake air temp sensor. Is it best to remove the maf and replae with a IAT sensor or use the one in the MAF. I feel like removing the maf and intalling and IAT would creat less intake air restriciton and would result in better airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by kogelch View Post
    One more question i for got to mention is ive read to upgrade you need to disable the maf but still use the itake air temp sensor. Is it best to remove the maf and replae with a IAT sensor or use the one in the MAF. I feel like removing the maf and intalling and IAT would creat less intake air restriciton and would result in better airflow.
    You are correct, one idea of the SD tune is to rid yourself of the MAF, tricky in the trucks since the IAT's are monitored through the MAF.

I run an SD tune in my 04 6.0 swapped into a classic truck. Currently I still have the MAF in place to monitor IAT's but the fueling function of the MAF is disabled, so it's basically just along for the ride at this point.

You'll have to incorporate a 4th gen Fbody IAT sensor somewhere in your air intake track. There are adapter harnesses on the market to plug and play from here, but the ones I've found I could never get an answer as to whether the plug in would be the same for a truck MAF since they all advertise they are for an LS2 (and I'm not hacking up my harness). Because of this I've just left the MAF in there for now to monitor IAT's until I can get a straight answer on the subject.

Honestly I haven't persued it for several months as I'm too busy with other things to worry about it.

The tuning itself is pretty straight forward. Fail the MAF and tune the VE tables via wideband hitting all your part throttle areas and blend. Then the PE is richened to a safe level for 3-4 wide open throttle runs until you dial in the prefered AFR, and you are done. I just leave the MAF failed.

White
    99 Chevy Silverado 5.3

THanks for the help. If you ever find the IAT sensor and the harness let me know. Or nanyone else reading this that might now please chime in. Thanks again.
    99 Silverado 5.3, 30 over, heads milled 30 thou, 212 218 Low Lift LSx Cam,
    LT headers, ASP UD Pulleys, MSD 8mm wires, Volant Ram Air, E-Fans, LS1 fan harness,
    I-6 TB Stall, 3" magnaflow cats, flowmaster Y pipe,
    Walker Muffler, RS 9000 Shocks, 4.56 gears, 33" BFG All Terrains.

Thread Information