On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

02 Silverado door lock removal

The third time going in here I figured I would take some pics. This is my Dad's truck, one morning he slammed the door to hard and broke the lever for the remote locking mechanism. He tried to glue it up before buying a new piece hence my multiple times doing this.

Tools used were
    screwdriver (nic wide one will do you good)
    8mm wrench
    7mm socket
    10mm socket
    torx 30 (label was scruffed up so educated guess)

First I disconnected the battery with an 8mm

Looking at the door we work from top to bottom starting with the panel opposite of the rear view mirror.

If you have a panel remover great, for the rest of us a screwdriver works well. I have exposed the under side so you can see where the best place to pry the 2 clips away are.

Continuing down take your screwdriver to the door lock and pry it off. Little effort needed here.

Now for the driver's electronic controls we will again use our screwdriver. 2 tabs that need to be pulled in order to pop this off. I used 2 screwdrivers to spread the force but it isn't necessary.

Once you pop it out there are 3 wiring harnesses that need to be pulled out

Next we need our 7mm socket to remove 2 bolts from the door. In no particular order of importance we will start with the section you just opened up on the arm rest.

And the 2nd 7mm is just above the door handle

Now take your screwdriver and pry off the door handle cover. The pic below will show you where you can expect the tabs to be.

Next the interior light, take your screwdriver and pry it off. The light will come out easier if you nudge it to the left. Unplug the bulb so it doesn't get in the way when the panel comes off.

Now the door panel is almost ready to come off all the way with the exception of this wire shown in the pic below. Pull up on the panel and look between the panel and door. Easy to unplug but for the first time around it's easy to miss and pull on it.

Door panel completely off

Now take your 10mm socket and remove the bolt that holds the door handle on.

So you have a better understanding with what you are about to be fighting with here is the door lock. The rods will be attached to those yellow holes so depending on your grip you can either pop them out with your hands or you might want to use some needle nose pliers.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

The door is sealed off with a plastic cover to protect from the elements, peel it off as needed. Go ahead and remove the door handle rod first, once removed the handle assembly will slide out of the door. Here is a pic of the abyss the door handle rod goes into. Don't do this at night folks.

Next will be the door lock mechanism. It is latched on in 3 places, once removed return to the dark abyss to get the far end of the rod off.

With 2 of the 4 rods out of the way unplug the 3 connectors. If you can't don't stress it try again with the door lock unbolted later.

Now for the final 2 rods. Pic below look familiar? One of the remaining rods is threaded and latched in place. You can see where to push down and the latch will open up.

The final rod will want to pop out in your direction. Again you might use your hands or some small needle nose pliers. If you can't quite reach it skip ahead and unbolt the locking mechanism, it will give you some room to play. In the pic below you can see the 90 degree rod in question and the black hole it will come out of (right behind the plastic latch you just removed)

Go ahead and get your torx 30 and remove the 3 bolts that hold the motor in place.

And here is the motor in question. It can be separated into 2 pieces by the removal of 3 torx heads. The # was completely worn off so I don't know the size, but it was the smallest I had in my kit. For those looking to save a few bucks and only intend to buy half the motor, the new part will likely come w/o the third plug for the harnesses. In the pic look at the top right female plug. That was cut off from the original and glued on to the new piece.

Looking at it from the side

Now just reverse the steps to put the door back together. I'll edit this as needed but right now my eyes hurt. Feel free to ask if anything isn't clear.
    Last edited by c5z28; 03-10-2011 at 07:32 PM.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

nice little thread you got here should be a sticky for the trucks!!!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

thanks, seems like this section isn't well traveled though
    Post in the interior section maybe?

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

Sticky worthy in my mind.

Be hand to have this thread in case you have to get to the insides of the door.

Thread Information