Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3132333495051525354555657 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1129

***Hop aboard the MAY Train***

This is a discussion on ***Hop aboard the MAY Train*** within the AAG Archives forums, part of the Off - Topic / Discussion forums category; Originally Posted by JerseyLS1 Ever wonder why there always has to be a token fat one, like a girl can't ...

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyLS1 View Post
    Ever wonder why there always has to be a token fat one, like a girl can't have all really hot friends?
    the DUFF is there as a reminder to keep the hot girls hot or they'll look like her

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

All the weddings I have been to (2) there were NO DUFFs.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Tires, batteries, oil changes, bulbs, help other mechanics with brakes, clutches, alternators, timing belts, shocks, struts, springs, alignments. But it's like it could be slow, and if I'm not there, he gets all panicky and cranky. He pick my brain about different cars as well. Like if he takes in a car for work and he doesn't know anything about it, wh comes to me and asks me for info. There was a time my boss' brother let me go home early and when my other boss came back, he freaked out and went looking for me around the shop. I don't get it. My friends and family all tell me I am carrying the shop. But I don't see things that way.
    dude dont take this the wrong way, because i know you work real hard and probably are important to your shop.... But you dont "carry" the shop if you are assisting on brakes, alternators, timing belts, struts and alignments. Those are all pretty much 1 person jobs except for the struts when you go to line bolts up and need an extra pair of hands. Tires, batteries, lofs and bulbs is luber goober work. Is there anything else that you do that you were leaving out? Do you write up people? Any interior work? ahh what the fuck do i know im not even in a shop right now lol

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    dude dont take this the wrong way, because i know you work real hard and probably are important to your shop.... But you dont "carry" the shop if you are assisting on brakes, alternators, timing belts, struts and alignments. Those are all pretty much 1 person jobs except for the struts when you go to line bolts up and need an extra pair of hands. Tires, batteries, lofs and bulbs is luber goober work. Is there anything else that you do that you were leaving out? Do you write up people? Any interior work? ahh what the fuck do i know im not even in a shop right now lol
    My boss wants me to find anything to sell. If not, he gets PO'ed and throws a fit. LOL. Oh well, I follow his orders.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

My boss wants me to find anything to sell. If not, he gets PO'ed and throws a fit. LOL. Oh well, I follow his orders.
    gotta follow the bosses orders, the best thing you can do to be honest is keep the damn boss happy. Yeah any shop you work in you gotta sell shit, good techs dont wait to be fed gravy you gotta make your own. Nearly every car you are gonna see come in that isnt brand new is gonna need SOMETHING, and even if it only pays a few tenths they can add up, just as long as you beat the time on it. Otherwise who cares. Never undersell your upsell, meaning dont go out of your way to sell shit that is a fiasco to get done and you end up doing a large part of the job for free.

does the job you work at make the tech eat it on a parts failure? Like lets say you install an alternator and the part fails, do they make the tech install the new one for free? I hear a lot of franchise/independents will do that

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

gotta follow the bosses orders, the best thing you can do to be honest is keep the damn boss happy. Yeah any shop you work in you gotta sell shit, good techs dont wait to be fed gravy you gotta make your own. Nearly every car you are gonna see come in that isnt brand new is gonna need SOMETHING, and even if it only pays a few tenths they can add up, just as long as you beat the time on it. Otherwise who cares. Never undersell your upsell, meaning dont go out of your way to sell shit that is a fiasco to get done and you end up doing a large part of the job for free.

does the job you work at make the tech eat it on a parts failure? Like lets say you install an alternator and the part fails, do they make the tech install the new one for free? I hear a lot of franchise/independents will do that
    Nope. My boss calls the parts vendor for a replacement and no questions are asked. I go over every car I work on with a fine tooth comb. We deal with mostly folks who neglect their cars because the cars are leased. These folks don't care...at least, DIDN'T care. Now they are stuck with their cars due to the economy and leasing changes. Now all the neglect is coming back to the customers and we listen to them whine about how life isn't fair. My advice to them...take care of the car and it will take care of you. I think my boss relies on me more than the other tire installer because the other guy has ADHD and he tends to lose track of things very easily. He means well but the boss always seems to catch the guy talking about random sh1t and yells at him. Boss comes to me and always tells me to stay focused, which I do since I treat everyones car as my own. My boss relies on my eyes to find stuff others can't(I know this cuz a mechanic failed to spot thin brake pads on a car and I found them and sold the work). My friends and family tell me my boss picks my brain about repairs and shop machinery(we got a new balancer almost 2 years ago and a new alignment lift close to a year ago) after my boss asked me if the old machines were up to par or needed replacing. I guess after working for three years without a weekly day off I'm getting stressed? I dunno.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Nope. My boss calls the parts vendor for a replacement and no questions are asked. I go over every car I work on with a fine tooth comb. We deal with mostly folks who neglect their cars because the cars are leased. These folks don't care...at least, DIDN'T care. Now they are stuck with their cars due to the economy and leasing changes. Now all the neglect is coming back to the customers and we listen to them whine about how life isn't fair. My advice to them...take care of the car and it will take care of you. I think my boss relies on me more than the other tire installer because the other guy has ADHD and he tends to lose track of things very easily. He means well but the boss always seems to catch the guy talking about random sh1t and yells at him. Boss comes to me and always tells me to stay focused, which I do since I treat everyones car as my own. My boss relies on my eyes to find stuff others can't(I know this cuz a mechanic failed to spot thin brake pads on a car and I found them and sold the work). My friends and family tell me my boss picks my brain about repairs and shop machinery(we got a new balancer almost 2 years ago and a new alignment lift close to a year ago) after my boss asked me if the old machines were up to par or needed replacing. I guess after working for three years without a weekly day off I'm getting stressed? I dunno.
    good job. gotta look at brakes on nearly every car that you get on your lift if they got any kind of mileage on them. Its such an easy sell and easy to make time on them. Stupid not to. haha adhd, yeah worked with guys like that. ADHD guys get real interesting when they have an entire car apart and theres parts everywhere

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

what im saying is though, when you get the replacement part do you get paid again to do the job? wait, are you guys flat rate? I suppose if you are hourly anyways it doesnt matter. Lets say you are flat rate, and the alternator pays 2 hrs, if it were to fail do you get another 2 hrs to put the new one in again or do they make you eat it? Thats what i mean

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

good job. gotta look at brakes on nearly every car that you get on your lift if they got any kind of mileage on them. Its such an easy sell and easy to make time on them. Stupid not to. haha adhd, yeah worked with guys like that. ADHD guys get real interesting when they have an entire car apart and theres parts everywhere
    Yup. Then ya see this--->

...and when the boss walks in and sees that...ya wanna do this--->

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

what im saying is though, when you get the replacement part do you get paid again to do the job? wait, are you guys flat rate? I suppose if you are hourly anyways it doesnt matter. Lets say you are flat rate, and the alternator pays 2 hrs, if it were to fail do you get another 2 hrs to put the new one in again or do they make you eat it? Thats what i mean
    Good question. I think the mechs are flat rate. Tires is salary tho.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

SUCK ON EM!

So i went to a small used car lot yesterday to check out an 05 vibe with 52k miles. It was pretty clean. one owner, none smoker. Guy wanted 10k. for it. Said he would give me $800 for my 99 taraus. I walked. He just emaild, and said he would give me $2000 on my POS taraus. I'm thinking i'm gonna pimp my vibe

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I love driving past dealerships. They watch and I just drive on my way and say "NOPE...THIS ONE IS NOT FOR SALE."

Senior Member transamprincess98's Avatar

Light Tarnished Silver
    STS-V

Slackers!

Arctic White
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    SUCK ON EM!

So i went to a small used car lot yesterday to check out an 05 vibe with 52k miles. It was pretty clean. one owner, none smoker. Guy wanted 10k. for it. Said he would give me $800 for my 99 taraus. I walked. He just emaild, and said he would give me $2000 on my POS taraus. I'm thinking i'm gonna pimp my vibe
    the local dodge dealer is having a liquidation bc of the chrysler fiasco .. i was contemplating getting an srt4 .. wonder what theyde give me for my 97 honda

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

the local dodge dealer is having a liquidation bc of the chrysler fiasco .. i was contemplating getting an srt4 .. wonder what theyde give me for my 97 honda
    you like the looks of the caliber? or they had a used neon version? The neon IMO was actually a nicer car lol

Arctic White
    2000 Trans Am WS6

you like the looks of the caliber? or they had a used neon version? The neon IMO was actually a nicer car lol
    OH i DEFINITELY like the neon srt4 better .. but if i could get a caliber cheap enough it may be worth it .. was just a generic thought .. thinking about it, its still a little soccer momish for me lol

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Steady day at work for me. Threw the GTO on my lift to add the friction modifier I forgot to put in two weeks ago. No more chattering from the diff anymore. Spotted a nice black Grand Prix with what looked like TTIIs. Dropped and had a ram air hood. We gave each other a nod.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

OH i DEFINITELY like the neon srt4 better .. but if i could get a caliber cheap enough it may be worth it .. was just a generic thought .. thinking about it, its still a little soccer momish for me lol
    if you could get the caliber cheap as hell it'd be a 300 horse 4 banger daily so you dont have to put a lot of miles on your TA

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Steady day at work for me. Threw the GTO on my lift to add the friction modifier I forgot to put in two weeks ago. No more chattering from the diff anymore. Spotted a nice black Grand Prix with what looked like TTIIs. Dropped and had a ram air hood. We gave each other a nod.
    did you drop a gear and dissappear?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Nah. It was a nice lookin GP though. I dunno if it was a GT or a GTP. There were no badges on the doors. When I was in high school I read about the 300GPX concept car in my auto shop class. Bad@$$ lookin car.

Page 53 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3132333495051525354555657 LastLast

Thread Information