Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Whats the Difference between Cobras

I know that any LSx powered car can smoke any Crustang GT and even 02 and earlier Cobras but in 03 and 04 they were supercharged but how can you tell the difference between years? And what exactly do the new ones have, can our cars hang with the current bodystyle Cobras? Has anyone ever really thought about how stupid that name is? Mustang Cobra, two animals that hate each other like an Impala Mountainlion.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I think the Supercharged ones have the Amber in the Taillights

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

i think the hood is different on the 03 and 04

Black
    2000 WS6

Wiki to the rescue! Can't forget about the 2000 Cobra R. Pretty bad ass IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustang_Cobra#2003-2004

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

While in production, SVT had codenamed this model the "Terminator", since it was supposed to finally put an end to any competition between the Cobra and the Trans Am / Camaro.

Yeah, lets add a Supercharger and charge people $20k+ for it!!! NOW WE CAN BEAT CAMAROS AND TRANS AMS!!! :woohoo:

Black | Black
    '07 Z06 | '98 WS6

"While in production, SVT had codenamed this model the "Terminator", since it was supposed to finally put an end to any competition between the Cobra and the Trans Am / Camaro. However, due to the fact that the Cobra was a forced induction car, it makes it difficult to claim that it is any better than a naturally aspirated Trans Am / Camaro."

Better?

Sidewayz Hat Police LS1TransHed's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

meh... power is power, no matter how u get it. And to be dead honest.... even GM is going that route now. They supercharged the Cobalt SS... and now they replaced that with a Turbo. They Turbo'd the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline. They Supercharged the C6 ZR1. They were "planning" on coming out with a Supercharged Z28 (maybe still are? I dont know, it changes all the time lol). It just seems like Ford started doing it first.

In the end, fast is fast, but Id like to think we won the 4th Gen Pony Car wars lol

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by LS1TransHed View Post
    meh... power is power, no matter how u get it. And to be dead honest.... even GM is going that route now. They supercharged the Cobalt SS... and now they replaced that with a Turbo. They Turbo'd the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline. They Supercharged the C6 ZR1. They were "planning" on coming out with a Supercharged Z28 (maybe still are? I dont know, it changes all the time lol). It just seems like Ford started doing it first.

In the end, fast is fast, but Id like to think we won the 4th Gen Pony Car wars lol
    x2.

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

sad thing is, that the Camaros/Trans Ams were litearly dead when these Cobras came out. Not to mention, they were so expensive ($35+k retail?) so much out of the range of the F_bodies even if they were on the market, not a real fair comparison.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Different Bumper

I've seen a couple with flat black pain on the lower part of the rear bumper, I believe that could indicate a difference.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Quote Originally Posted by CWW17 View Post
    "While in production, SVT had codenamed this model the "Terminator", since it was supposed to finally put an end to any competition between the Cobra and the Trans Am / Camaro. However, due to the fact that the Cobra was a forced induction car, it makes it difficult to claim that it is any better than a naturally aspirated Trans Am / Camaro."

Better?
    I'm not sure I'd even call it a necessarily better car. It comes with more power out of the factory, but there are so many more things you can do as far as parts combinations go with an ls1 than with a modular ford motor. I've seen ls1's in mustangs, but I've never seen a modular ford in an f-body.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I think the Supercharged ones have the Amber in the Taillights

Click for full size
    Incorrect.

Early "new edge" Cobras (99-01) had amber in the taillights.

03-04 Cobras had the same all-red taillights at the GT models.

03-04 Cobras can also be identified by their reverse cowl hoods and unique front and rear bumpers. The rear bumper also says "Cobra" in it where the lesser models (GT, V6) just say Mustang.

Cayenne Red, Pewter
    '97 Z28 1LE #53, '02 WS6

It's actually quite easy to distinguish the two. Basically everything on the '03/04 is different. Hood, front fascia, taillights, rear bumper, wing just to name a few. It's really more difficult to distinguish a '99/01 Cobra from a base V6 Mustang with the spoiler and chrome wheel option. Ford gave the Cobra very bland styling until the '03 came along.

As for comparing LS1 vs. blown four-valve powerplants I don't think you can honestly do that. I just don't see comparing a forced induction V8 to a naturally aspirated V8 logical. A clear advantage for the Cobra yes, but not a sensible comparison. Besides, the F-bodies were out of production by 2003 anyways so they were never technically in competition with one another.

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by blackmetal View Post
    Has anyone ever really thought about how stupid that name is? Mustang Cobra, two animals that hate each other like an Impala Mountainlion.
    I think it's just called a cobra, as it has all mustang emblems off of it, or so i believe. it's like a Trans Am, no one calls it a Firebird Trans Am. same as Firehawk/Blackhawk(okay...now i'm just going too far)...

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

SVT Cobra, Back bumper + body styles are a dead give away on the cars.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

They easy way to tell is look for the cobra emblem. Lots of fake ones out there though.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by knoll5150 View Post
    sad thing is, that the Camaros/Trans Ams were litearly dead when these Cobras came out. Not to mention, they were so expensive ($35+k retail?) so much out of the range of the F_bodies even if they were on the market, not a real fair comparison.
    ws6 and ss's were 32k range back in 02.....y cant a cobra cost 35k in 03 and 04 and be comparable? i disagree....those cobras are also holding there value a LOT better than our cars do to how fuckin sick fast they are with 2k in mods.....i dislike the driver seating position/shifter/etc in the cobras....i feel like im on display driving one of those.....love the cockpit feel of my z

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

Those are the ones that'll show you their rear bumper(says COBRA on there by the way). The other ones, well, won't.

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

If your stock and it blows your doors off

Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    ws6 and ss's were 32k range back in 02.....y cant a cobra cost 35k in 03 and 04 and be comparable? i disagree....those cobras are also holding there value a LOT better than our cars do to how fuckin sick fast they are with 2k in mods.....i dislike the driver seating position/shifter/etc in the cobras....i feel like im on display driving one of those.....love the cockpit feel of my z
    well, on that same note, what were base prices of Z28s and Formulas?

Cobras may be still holding their value more...but it's still hard to sell a car for anyone atm.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information