Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

TA -then Titan- Now G8 GT!

Not sure if anyone here remembers me. I was on here quite abit before I got rid of my 02 TA WS6.
    I got rid of it, because I had two kids 14 months apart. I needed to have more room.

I got a Nissan Titan, it was nice, but didn't really move me after the inital feeling of excitement to own a different vehicle..

I now have that feeling again.. But this time it is something alittle closer the the TA in performance/ brand..

let me know what you guys think..

Got a great deal (because of the decision to drop the pontiac line)

2002 CETA m6

Good decision to go with the G8 instead of the Titan, its much more practical for the family, but your getting great performance...what type of engine does the G8 sport?

Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by Same ol Situation View Post
    Good decision to go with the G8 instead of the Titan, its much more practical for the family, but your getting great performance...what type of engine does the G8 sport?
    LS2 I believe? 6.0L. Same as the 6.0 GTOs.

Good buy, by the way.

Welcome back.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Same ol Situation View Post
    6.0 (but not LS2)-- details below>>.

Trans Order Code: MYC - 6 speed auto w/OD.
    SAE Net Torque: 384 @ 4400
    SAE Net Horsepower: 355 @ 5300
    Fuel System: SFI
    Displacement: 6.0L/364
    Engine Type: Gas V8
    Engine Order Code: L76
    Cruising Range - Hwy 456.00
    Cruising Range - City 285.00
    EPA Fuel Economy Est - Hwy 24
    EPA Fuel Economy Est - City
    Drivetrain Rear Wheel Drive

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
    6.0 (but not LS2)-- details below>>.

Trans Order Code: MYC - 6 speed auto w/OD.
    SAE Net Torque: 384 @ 4400
    SAE Net Horsepower: 355 @ 5300
    Fuel System: SFI
    Displacement: 6.0L/364
    Engine Type: Gas V8
    Engine Order Code: L76
    Cruising Range - Hwy 456.00
    Cruising Range - City 285.00
    EPA Fuel Economy Est - Hwy 24
    EPA Fuel Economy Est - City
    Drivetrain Rear Wheel Drive
    Interesting. I wonder what the specific technical differences are. I'll look it up on GM HTP.

2002 CETA m6

is it the L99? there putting those engines in the new camaros

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

So I did some research and it is basically an LS2 except it can be a V-4 and it's got a different tune. Those are nice, especially for city driving.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by levityinc3 View Post
    So I did some research and it is basically an LS2 except it can be a V-4 and it's got a different tune. Those are nice, especially for city driving.
    Thanks man! I didn't know that -- I mean I knew about the displacment / gas saving thing. AFM- Active Fuel Managment I think it is called.

but anything over 14% throttle you are running on all 8. So only when you are cruising will the AFM kick in.

From what I have heard these things really open up some more HP with a tune, and intake, and of course , the other goodies really help--- headers, full exhaust, cam etc..

I have already compared this car w/ LS1 power- and I am very very happy with the results.
    Last edited by jrc1122; 05-16-2009 at 03:02 PM. Reason: either mod deleted part, or I type a incoherent sentence.. now fixed.. lol

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Thanks man! I didn't know that -- I mean I knew about the displacment / gas saving thing. AFM- Active Fuel Managment I think it is called.

but anything over 14% throttle you are running on all 8. So only when you are cruising will the AFM kick in.

From what I have heard these things really open up some more HP with a tune, and intake, and of course , the other goodies really help--- headers, full exhaust, cam etc..

I can't against a LS1 equipped Fbody- and I am very very happy with the results.
    Yeah man, congratulations on the good buy. I really want to drive one.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by levityinc3 View Post
    Yeah man, congratulations on the good buy. I really want to drive one.
    It feels less of a raw power, and more of a refined power but overall very strong. hard to explain. The exhaust is very quite for a 6.0 sports sedan. And it is automatic so it feels much different than my TA I had.

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Thumbs up GXP

Can you imagine the GXP G8.... too bad when they are just coming out and the hard top solstice. So sad to see Pontiac go!!!

Acceleration and handling is much more refined in a G8 than the last Generation Fbodies.

It feels less of a raw power, and more of a refined power but overall very strong. hard to explain. The exhaust is very quite for a 6.0 sports sedan. And it is automatic so it feels much different than my TA I had.

Silver
    00 Formula Firehawk

I test drove an orange g8 gt and was hooked instantly! I want one badly. Trying to make that our next family car. For a four door family type car it looks good and freaking hauls ass! I think the gxp would be awesome as well with the 6.2 liter and a 6 speed manual.

Great pick for a car btw!!

Red/Silver/Black/Red
    TA-G8-Expe-L200-Camaro

Gas Guzzler Tax

I am super attracted to the ABS braking in the G8!!! It has one of the best breaking of any vehicle out there. What's bad on these vehicle is the center panel and center gauge. GM should of designed it better. I still get get mix up between the ON for the A/C and that of the Radio. I drive my G8 once in a while since it's my wife's car.

The GXP is awesome and shares the same engine as the Camaro... however, the MPG on it sucks!!!! More than that, I believe you will also be paying upcharge for the Gas Guzzler tax.

The Price on the GXP looks to steep!!!! If that is the case, I rather get Cadillac or a Mercedes

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Griner View Post
    I test drove an orange g8 gt and was hooked instantly! I want one badly. Trying to make that our next family car. For a four door family type car it looks good and freaking hauls ass! I think the gxp would be awesome as well with the 6.2 liter and a 6 speed manual.

Great pick for a car btw!!

Silver
    00 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by matthewaqui View Post
    I am super attracted to the ABS braking in the G8!!! It has one of the best breaking of any vehicle out there. What's bad on these vehicle is the center panel and center gauge. GM should of designed it better. I still get get mix up between the ON for the A/C and that of the Radio. I drive my G8 once in a while since it's my wife's car.

The GXP is awesome and shares the same engine as the Camaro... however, the MPG on it sucks!!!! More than that, I believe you will also be paying upcharge for the Gas Guzzler tax.

The Price on the GXP looks to steep!!!! If that is the case, I rather get Cadillac or a Mercedes
    I heard they were willing to work some amazing deals on both the G8 GT and the GXP at my local dealership(I have a friend that works there). Since they were cutting the pontiac line people are kinda freaked out about buying them. I still think I will get a used G8 GT though. The orange one they had was like $21,000. I think in another year or so they will get a little cheaper....maybe. That gas guzzler tax would suck on the GXP.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

They are offering 3K back and sometimes a bit more on the GXP. People are driving off in fully loaded ones in 37K.

I drove off in a GT for 26,100 (sticker was 33+K)

Not sure about the gas guzzler tax, I thought it also had the AFM and cut 4 cylinders (which can be tuned out with handheld) to keep from having to pay that tax. ( I COULD BE WRONG THOUGH)

Good luck finding a new Caddy or Mercedes for 37K that performs like a GXP.

But the CTS-V is awesome performance!

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

I am super attracted to the ABS braking in the G8!!! It has one of the best breaking of any vehicle out there. What's bad on these vehicle is the center panel and center gauge. GM should of designed it better. I still get get mix up between the ON for the A/C and that of the Radio.
    If I remember correctly, these cars were designed in Australia and they didn't change the radio/ac unit, so the buttons are a bit strange for US model. I think it gives the car a uniqueness to it's character

Formula Driver! 96Firebirdformula's Avatar

Batman Black
    1996 Formula

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine

L76 Motor

See also the Vortec 6000 L76
    L76 was originally Holden's version of the 6.0 L (5,967 cc/364.1 cu in) Generation IV engine. While displacement on demand technology was disabled on Holdens, this feature is enabled on the 2008 Pontiac G8 GT and subsequently re fitted in the 2009 model Holdens with AFM enabled, but only on models fitted with the 6L80 Automatic Transmission. The engine also meets Euro III emissions requirements. Output is 348 hp (260 kW) at 5600 rpm and 376 lb·ft (510 N·m) at 4400 rpm for the Holden variant, and 361 hp (269 kW) and 385 lb·ft (522 N·m) of torque for the G8 GT.[3]

Applications:

2006 Holden VZ Commodore
    2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    2009 Holden VE Commodore
    2009 Holden WM Statesman / Holden WM Caprice
    2009 Holden VE UTE

Silver
    00 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by 96Firebirdformula View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine

L76 Motor

See also the Vortec 6000 L76
    L76 was originally Holden's version of the 6.0 L (5,967 cc/364.1 cu in) Generation IV engine. While displacement on demand technology was disabled on Holdens, this feature is enabled on the 2008 Pontiac G8 GT and subsequently re fitted in the 2009 model Holdens with AFM enabled, but only on models fitted with the 6L80 Automatic Transmission. The engine also meets Euro III emissions requirements. Output is 348 hp (260 kW) at 5600 rpm and 376 lb·ft (510 N·m) at 4400 rpm for the Holden variant, and 361 hp (269 kW) and 385 lb·ft (522 N·m) of torque for the G8 GT.[3]

Applications:

2006 Holden VZ Commodore
    2008-2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    2009 Holden VE Commodore
    2009 Holden WM Statesman / Holden WM Caprice
    2009 Holden VE UTE

The G8 GT I drove felt like it had a lot more power than the 361 listed. I was sold as soon as I got a straight road to lay down the pedal. Now I just have to find one in my price range. I need to check the insurance rates too. My local Pontiac dealer also just got in a new G8 GXP!! I just cant see paying that much for one though. I may hold out and try to get one of the GXP's used in a year or so.

Tan
    2002 GMC Yukon

I like it.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

the l76 basically has ls3 heads on it..so yes they respond VERY! well with a CAI and some exhaust

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information