black
    2001 Trans Am

need some advice for my 67 chevy truck

ok long story short, my '99 TA got totaled but engine and tranny were not harmed. me and my husband want to put the engine and tranny in the 67. what sort of things do we need to make sure everything hooks up good. of course engine is a LS1, tranny is 6spd. the truck needs a ground up rebuild, so basically it's just a body settin there. has no engine or tranny in it right now. originally shifter was on the column, but i want it in the floor. any and all help will be greatly appreciated, because we've never did anything like this b4. thanks for your help

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Anthing can be done with time and money. Do you and your husband have experience working on cars? Can either of you weld? It sounds like a great project. The basics you will need are engine mounts and headers. The tranny crossmember might have to be moved but there is probably different sets of holes in the frame. Shifter might have to be custom. You might be able to customize the stock one. Column is no big deal. You can get an aftermarket or used one without the column shift. You will need some extra circuits for things like fuel pump, ecm, and fans. You could also get a whole new harness that will have these things while updating the 30+ year old wiring. Do you have pics of the truck?
    Last edited by bigrondownhiller; 01-06-2010 at 03:10 PM.

black
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Anthing can be done with time and money. Do you and your husband have experience working on cars? Can either of you weld? It sounds like a great project. The basics you will need are engine mounts and headers. The tranny crossmember might have to be moved but there is probably different sets of holes in the frame. Shifter might have to be custom. You might be able to customize the stock one. Column is no big deal. You can get an aftermarket or used one without the column shift. You will need some extra circuits for things like fuel pump, ecm, and fans. You could also get a whole new harness that will have these things while updating the 30+ year old wiring. Do you have pics of the truck?
    i'll post some pics as soon as i'm allowed. my husband knows quite a bit about cars, i'm still learnin. my husband has never welded, but the way he learns he can learn how at the snap of a finger, we also have friends that can weld. and as far as wiring, it'll all have to be replaced anyways, along with new brake and fuel lines. you mentioned headers...can't i just use the existing headers that are already attached to the LS1? i greatly appreciate your help and input

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

First thing to do would be to pick up a factory service manual that covers your LS1 -- you'll need to decipher some of the wire codes for things like the ignition, gauges and such. As long as you pulled everything from the wrecked car, you should have most of what you need. As noted above, installing the engine will be a matter of fabrication -- engine mounts, trans mount, etc... There should be plenty of space for it, but you will have to shop around for an exhaust setup that works best.

You will also have to mod the truck's fuel system to work with the LS1 and come up with a clutch master setup. The install will most likely call for a custom driveshaft and you may need an adapter u-joint (one that fits two different styles). After install, and due to changes that will be made, you will probably be chasing some gremlins to make everything work. This will include reprogramming the PCM for your gear ratio and tire size, in addition to deleting things that will most likely be removed from the setup, such as your rear O2 sensors.

That's just some quick stuff off the top of my head. Here's a good resource for more info: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Swap-Engines-Almost-Anything-Design/dp/1932494812/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263037758&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Swap-Engines-Almost-Anything-Design/dp/1932494812/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263037758&sr=8-1[/ame]

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Seems like you have all the means to make it happen. More and more parts are becoming available for the swap so you will have less fabrication to do. The stock manifolds will work. Most people choose to go headers for a little more power. As mentioned by Jeff a service manual will help. He also brought up a good point about fuel system. But since you are replacing all the lines anyway you should be fine. With the extra power might want to upgrade the brakes to disc in front if not already done and add power if there is none. Plenty of kits available. Are you going to keep it fuel injected or switch to carb?

black
    2001 Trans Am

Seems like you have all the means to make it happen. More and more parts are becoming available for the swap so you will have less fabrication to do. The stock manifolds will work. Most people choose to go headers for a little more power. As mentioned by Jeff a service manual will help. He also brought up a good point about fuel system. But since you are replacing all the lines anyway you should be fine. With the extra power might want to upgrade the brakes to disc in front if not already done and add power if there is none. Plenty of kits available. Are you going to keep it fuel injected or switch to carb?
    i'm wanting to keep it fuel injected.

black
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    First thing to do would be to pick up a factory service manual that covers your LS1 -- you'll need to decipher some of the wire codes for things like the ignition, gauges and such. As long as you pulled everything from the wrecked car, you should have most of what you need. As noted above, installing the engine will be a matter of fabrication -- engine mounts, trans mount, etc... There should be plenty of space for it, but you will have to shop around for an exhaust setup that works best.

You will also have to mod the truck's fuel system to work with the LS1 and come up with a clutch master setup. The install will most likely call for a custom driveshaft and you may need an adapter u-joint (one that fits two different styles). After install, and due to changes that will be made, you will probably be chasing some gremlins to make everything work. This will include reprogramming the PCM for your gear ratio and tire size, in addition to deleting things that will most likely be removed from the setup, such as your rear O2 sensors.

That's just some quick stuff off the top of my head. Here's a good resource for more info: http://www.amazon.com/Swap-Engines-A...3037758&sr=8-1
    thanks! this will be a great help

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Ok. Just some fuel system upgrades then. Any pics yet?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

FYI: The Summit Racing catalogue I received on Friday now lists an LS1 wiring harness as a "new product" under P/N SUM-890122. It does require that a factory PCM be utilized, which you already have.

black
    2001 Trans Am

Ok. Just some fuel system upgrades then. Any pics yet?
    cool, the really hard part for me and my husband is that we gotta do all this outside. we have no garage but i've known of sevral people who done outside restorations, lol. and hopefully i can get a few pics on here soon. i don't think i'm allowed yet though, lol

black
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    FYI: The Summit Racing catalogue I received on Friday now lists an LS1 wiring harness as a "new product" under P/N SUM-890122. It does require that a factory PCM be utilized, which you already have.
    wow! that'll be a big help! thanks for the info

Orange, red, white
    1967,68,97,2000 Camaros

Is the fuel tank on the '67 inside the cab? The pump on the LS1 is in the tank and I don't know anyone who is making it in the truck fuel tank, but it almost anything can be fabbed.

black
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by usa1camaro View Post
    Is the fuel tank on the '67 inside the cab? The pump on the LS1 is in the tank and I don't know anyone who is making it in the truck fuel tank, but it almost anything can be fabbed.
    yep, the fuel tank is inside the cab. my husband has been scheming in his mind about what to come up with. he's pretty good about figuring stuff like that out. of course we will take all the advice we can get

Thread Information