Ghost Rider

Engine/Trans Swap

Ok,

My car isn't a muscle car and isn't equipped with an LS1, but it's paid for and I have plans for it. It's an '85 Chevy Impala with a GM 350 engine and a THM 700R4 Tranny. I want to do an engine and Tranny swap in the future and want some suggestions. Need more power. Your thoughts?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Hey man...welcome to the forum....wow....I'd seriously consider one of two things depending on your budget....
    1. Crate motor....like a 383 stroker.....mebbe around $4-5K ready to go with a 4L60E trannie and a 3200 stall......you can get GM 350 crate motors all day for around $3K.....Google it....
    2. Check out some of your local performance shops for a rebuilt motor or a block they can rebuild.....of course you need to be sure these are reputable folks...ask for references man.....
    3. Rebuild your baby.....

Ghost Rider
    Excellent ideas.

I've been looking at the 383. The GM website says that the 350 HO is for pre '76 cars. I don't really feel like putting the money into rebuilding my GM 350. My real concern is the trans swap. The The 4L60E is said to support no more than 370 Foot pounds of torque. The HT 383 makes over 400 ft.lbs. from 2500 to 4000 rpm. That will destroy the 4L60E. I don't see anything stronger on the GM website. I know that I'll want a positraction rear end, and I'm not sure what rear gears are best. What trans would work better with the 383. What auto trans can handle the torque that a 383 puts out?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well then I'm screwed....cuz I'm putting 450 torque to the wheels right now all through a 4L60E...I have a TransGo shift kit and PI 3200 stall with a BM Trannie cooler.....getting ready to give her a shot of nitrous...that trannie aint going anywhere man

Ghost Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Well then I'm screwed....cuz I'm putting 450 torque to the wheels right now all through a 4L60E...I have a TransGo shift kit and PI 3200 stall with a BM Trannie cooler.....getting ready to give her a shot of nitrous...that trannie aint going anywhere man

WHAT??? 450 TQ to the wheels now through a 4L60E?? Maybe it's the TransGo shift kit and PI 3200 stall+ Trans cooler. Man... if your setup can survive that + Nitrous, then there is certainly hope for me. You running the 383?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

04 GTO LS1 very modified We have some who are up to over 500 on stock 4L60E's!

Ghost Rider
    04 GTO LS1 very modified We have some who are up to over 500 on stock 4L60E's!
    500HP on a stock 4L60E???? Man, you just gave me a new reason to live.....

I've heard that the 4L60E was also part of the police package. Guess I know why....

I was going to ask you about this- http://www.transmissionhead.com/, but if the 4L60E can handle up to 500HP, then that may be the rout I go....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I would....

Ghost Rider
    Thanks for the great advice man. I have seen the light, and it is good.

It's funny. For s short while, I was into the sport compact thing, but between hearing the sound of too many 04 and 05 GTO's rumbling on the roadways and having my "sport compact" destroyed in an Auto accident last month (their fault), I came back home to rear wheel drive V8 GM Power.

Thanks again.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Ghost Rider
    Awesome ride man.

Thanks for the tips.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Here is what you need in that 85 man
    http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...35&prmenbr=361

Ghost Rider
    Here is what you need in that 85 man
    http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...35&prmenbr=361
    Fuel Injection in an 85.... Hmmm..... I didn't think that would work with an 85. We're talking about a complete wiring harness replacement with this setup though, right?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Not a big deal...what 3-4 hundred bucks?

Black
    99 SS

then get a manual tranny if your worried about it being destryoed?

Ghost Rider
    Fuel Injection is nice, but I want to go ole school carberated for this car. This car already had a GM 350 carbed swap when I got it, So I'm gonna do another 350 carb swap. Maybe one of those Edlebrock motors, or maybe with a local engine builder who can do it with forged internals.

A manual Tranny in an 85 Impala? Nah. I'll stick with the 4L60E. The object of this build is to do it with an auto with a high stall and shift kit. The 4L60E will do the trick.

What I will have to do is keep the Emmissions equipment intact because unfortunately, they do a visual inspection and pipe sniff on a car this old, since I don't have an OBD II port. My car has the AIR system (Air injection Reaction), which is part of the emmissions equipment and includes tubes that are inserted into holes in the exhaust manifolds. I've found shorty headers that already have them welded in, or I can use some Long Tube headers I found at a local shop that are cheaper, but I'd have to drill holes for the tubes and have them welded in. I don't really care about top end because the speedometer only says 85. I need low and mid more. this car is a daily driver and has to get me and my two boys around town, but I'm going to have some fun with it.

Thanks for the help guys.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider
    Fuel Injection is nice, but I want to go ole school carberated for this car. This car already had a GM 350 carbed swap when I got it, So I'm gonna do another 350 carb swap. Maybe one of those Edlebrock motors, or maybe with a local engine builder who can do it with forged internals.

A manual Tranny in an 85 Impala? Nah. I'll stick with the 4L60E. The object of this build is to do it with an auto with a high stall and shift kit. The 4L60E will do the trick.

What I will have to do is keep the Emmissions equipment intact because unfortunately, they do a visual inspection and pipe sniff on a car this old, since I don't have an OBD II port. My car has the AIR system (Air injection Reaction), which is part of the emmissions equipment and includes tubes that are inserted into holes in the exhaust manifolds. I've found shorty headers that already have them welded in, or I can use some Long Tube headers I found at a local shop that are cheaper, but I'd have to drill holes for the tubes and have them welded in. I don't really care about top end because the speedometer only says 85. I need low and mid more. this car is a daily driver and has to get me and my two boys around town, but I'm going to have some fun with it.

Thanks for the help guys.

met a guy today that put a manual into a 96 Impala, auctaully it was really cool, cause it was different.

Ghost Rider
    Sounds cool. It surely can be done, but I'm more interested in the 4L60E, especially after Sarge told me about how he got his equipped with the TransGo shift kit. I want to make this project as painless as possible, and I'm not rich. I'll do manual shifting when I can get a GTO or a Vette. For now, I'll stick with the Auto. I spend alot of time in traffic and don't feel like dealing with a manual clutch in this big ole tank. Thanks though.

Thread Information