Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    01 pontiac transam ws6 m6

Cobalt Ss Supercharged

As everyone knows ls1's are gas hogger's regardless of what people say 19mpg city and 28 hwy ss bs because i get 280 combined equal city n highway 19mpg time 16 gallon tank = 304 miles that assuming u drive only city so to get to the point i need a gas saving vehicle and i wont settle for a ugly 4 banger hybrid i want a performance 4 banger that saves gas that fits in my budget of under 25k i wanted to know what everyone thinks of performance 4 bangers like the ss superharged cobalt as opposed to the new civic si or the acura type s remember gas saving performance cars under 25k that look nice not turbo wrx's they dont save gas if you guys know of any other cars in the category of the cobalt ss supercharged please let me know this car looks cool n sporty plus ive seen it beat older gt mustangs on top end speed

red
    00 camaro ss

I have posted about this before in here. I bought a cobalt ss/sc in march. And I am totally impresssed. The little thing has some balls. It runs a 14.1 @ 104mph. crazy huh? Gm has stage kits available for it , wich covers the warranty. Put that kit, a 50 shot and some drs, hello low 13's, plus just like the ls1 there are tons of mods available for the lsj 2.0 ecotech.

It gets great gas mileage too. That is why I bought it. I average 27-28 mpg, and that is with beating it everyday. I have had as good as 33mpg on the freeway. and like 27 in the city.

As for style I think its pretty cool looking. I know alot of people in here will flame the style, but it doesnt matter what everyone else thinks its what you think. I personally like the styling of the little fucker.

Go out and test drive one. I guarantee you will buy it.
    00 ss camaro, 6.0 liter iron block, 4" callies crank, 4" Mahle pistons, Howards rods, Comp cam .598/.598, ported polished heads, Fast 90mm intake and tb flp headers and y pipe, lingenfelter muffler and tips, Maf, injectors, frame connectors.

Victory Red
    2006 Cobalt SS s/c

i also wrote about the cobalt ss b4 on here. i own one and love it.. some info... chevy rated it at 205HP and 200 ft-lbs but they put down about 215-225HP and 190-210ft-lbs on a dynojet at the wheels. with about $1200 or so you can get about 270whp, which when coupled with 2800lbs of car, and drag radials will net you high 12;s and has already been done more than once. and the aftermarket support is in the baby stages and is increasing rapidly due to finally unlocking pcm tuning with HPtuners.

i can beat or hang with lots of cars that cost more, or people think are much faster. i know for a fact i can beat or tie stock 2004 or lower mustang GT's (do it all the time, best friend has one), stock srt-4's (drivers race and well, i can drive--but srt'4s are a wee bit faster..more torque), etc... ..the car is capable of approx 14.1 stock 1/4 mile but is a little hard 2 launch

the car absoultely handles its ass off and will outhandle most cars on the road. the suspension was tuned on the nurburhring (sp?) in germany. on the "track" i have taken turns at 120+ and the thing just holds it ass and goes.

the car comes with such things as an INTERCOOLED (water to air) eaton m62 supercharger, the ecotec lsj motor with forged internals (except the pistons), 18" rims, pirelli tires, a monsterous spoiler that is sort of a love/hate relationship with the owners but fits the character of the car, recaro seats and a quaife LSD (an option but of course i have it), sunroof, mp3 cd player, 7-speaker pioneer system with a 10" sub, among other things, all for about 23 grand (i paid 23,500 otd).

and most people dont kno how fast they are until they see u pass them.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

A nice little toy for child's play...but, in a nutshell, it's just too little and wimpy. Get some real muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    A nice little toy for child's play...but, in a nutshell, it's just too little and wimpy. Get some real muscle.
    Lighten up buddy.

Victory Red
    2006 Cobalt SS s/c

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    yea wat crawled up your butt and died? never said they were MOnster Crazy FasT yO u CanT ToP mY 4-Cyl maN .. i cant wait till i graduate college in 2 yrs and buy myself a c5 vette and turbo it. i pay for my own car so i cant buy something i cant afford. (and used cars were out of the equation-warranty) if i want real muscle i go to my neighbors house and work on his 502 camaro.. is that enough real muscle for u? for the time being it fit my budget, nice looking car, does wat it is supposed to do really well, and satisfies my need for some speed... chill out

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Hey....I kinda like the fact that Chevrolet has come up with a car that hit's the imports.........and as far as whimpy....please....those little eotech motors have a lot left in them......one tricked out will take care of a stock SS........gotta remember power to weight......

Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    Hey....I kinda like the fact that Chevrolet has come up with a car that hit's the imports.........and as far as whimpy....please....those little eotech motors have a lot left in them......one tricked out will take care of a stock SS........gotta remember power to weight......
    MMy buddy has a worked cobalt ecotec with forged interals running high bosst. He runs high 11's at the track.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by bigman View Post
    MMy buddy has a worked cobalt ecotec with forged interals running high bosst. He runs high 11's at the track.
    They will go if you put the money to them....heck...any motor will....just depends on how big your wallet is....

Just finished with my recent project and it took more than I wanted to spend on it but when I hit that throttle I know where the money went.....

pewter
    2000 Firebird

My friend has an 06 cobalt ss supercharged. He has under $800 into it and ran a 13.9 at 101.4. This is with Stock tires worn to hell. The car has no problem hitting 140 mph. Sounds GREAT with an aftermarket pulley that gained him 6 psi for only $80. (roughly 60 horse). check out his cardomain. Just seach for member id syclone454 Tons of fun car and handles really good. Drives it like he stole and still get 24 mpg with no problems.

Awaiting Activation

Quicksilver
    2004 Pontiac GTO

I think the Cobalt SS is a great little car, looks and performance-wise. Just keep in mind that the more power produced, the more fuel used. It doesn't matter whether it's a four/six/eight cylinder, it takes a certain amount of fuel to produce a certain amount of energy,(HP). You can granny-drive a V8 and achieve fourbanger economy, or drive a fourbanger in its upper limits and achieve V8 mileage. To achieve that low rpm V8 torque, you must drive smaller engines to higher rpm ranges which in turn, negates their frugality.

Don't get me wrong, I think the COBSS is a great choice but if you plan to drive it frequently at 9/10ths, you won't realize much in fuel savings.

Red
    1987 Trans Am

I have driven a Colbolt SS Supercharged. It was slow and weak. I do not know where you guys come up with the idea this car is fast. I sure it can be fast, but not stock. An srt4 would crush the Colbolt. I have seen his in person. I pretty sure one of these cars could not beat a 2004 mustang gt. Be proud of your cars, but come on.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix1987 View Post
    I have driven a Colbolt SS Supercharged. It was slow and weak. I do not know where you guys come up with the idea this car is fast. I sure it can be fast, but not stock. An srt4 would crush the Colbolt. I have seen his in person. I pretty sure one of these cars could not beat a 2004 mustang gt. Be proud of your cars, but come on.
    Slow and weak???? You know these things have better 1/4 mile times than you 1987 TA???? I think people need to see what Chevrolet offers for these little cars in the way of aftermarket......I saw a show on Speed and they built one from all their parts and took it to the track and it absolutly raped all the other rice grinders and the almighty SRT-4.......it's a pretty good platform to build on.....bang for the buck I think it's been a long time coming for Chevrolet.......

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

Okay eveyone...

My wife has an 04 saturn redline, bought it brand new, its the exact same motor/drivetrain as the cobalt ss,not sure if body weight is the same but I am here to tell u a few car magazines have tested both, and u know they do a dozen or so of runs, perfect set up with decent drivers and well C@r and dr*ver mag. got a 14.7 in 1/4 and a top speed of 141 mph. Her and I both have run the car, yeah very creative launcing and at best got a 14.9, but dont forget about correct e.t.. thats okay since mot@!r tre*^ds mag. best on a 02 mustang g.t. with a 5 speed (which is no differrent than an 04) was a 14.7 and the autos are slower. I also believe the rev limiter on the car is way to early, the car is just making some real power and the limiter kicks in so then shift! I know that some after market tuning will make a noticeable differrence. ITs not in the league of todays V-8s. Absoluetely will give imports something to think about!! Oh yeah, it is good on gas, and it is sort of a sleeper too. But dont forget, and it wasnt mentioned by the recent buyer, above, u have to run (warranty/ man. fact, says) only the best octane gas and Mobile 1. $
    Last edited by Hawk241; 07-17-2006 at 07:58 AM. Reason: more accurate

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

umm srt-4??!?!?!

some facts:
    stock for stock will abuse a cobalt ss
    fits WELL into your price range
    gets pretty good gas milegae
    has .4 more displacement thana civic or rsx, and also, IT HAS A TURBO, not to mention a sick looking sotkc front mount intercooler
    for sucha cute car its sure is mean as hell, that is if you can look past the fact that its still a neon, but i think theyre cool as hell and they runw ith and beat ls1's

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by derrinx View Post
    umm srt-4??!?!?!

and they runw ith and beat ls1's

I'd like to see one of those beat an LS1.......stock for stock an LS1 is faster by far.....
    Last edited by cailey37; 07-26-2006 at 03:06 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

umm srt-4??!?!?!

some facts:
    stock for stock will abuse a cobalt ss
    fits WELL into your price range
    gets pretty good gas milegae
    has .4 more displacement thana civic or rsx, and also, IT HAS A TURBO, not to mention a sick looking sotkc front mount intercooler
    for sucha cute car its sure is mean as hell, that is if you can look past the fact that its still a neon, but i think theyre cool as hell and they runw ith and beat ls1's
    More like "some bullshit"

First off, I wouldn't consider 15-20MPG "good gas mileage". Thats crappy as hell, especially for a 4 cylinder. It does have more torque a almost half a liter more displacement than a Civic or RSX, which means more torque and less lag.

I wouldn't consider the front mount intercooler "sick". I also wouldn't consider it a "cute car", its downright ugly actually.

And last but not least, an SRT-4 cannot even come close to touching an LS1, stock for stock. You would need thousands of dollars in mods, most likely a Mopar stage 3 package.

Please don't make shit up, it doesn't help anyone

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    More like "some bullshit"

First off, I wouldn't consider 15-20MPG "good gas mileage". Thats crappy as hell, especially for a 4 cylinder. It does have more torque a almost half a liter more displacement than a Civic or RSX, which means more torque and less lag.

I wouldn't consider the front mount intercooler "sick". I also wouldn't consider it a "cute car", its downright ugly actually.

And last but not least, an SRT-4 cannot even come close to touching an LS1, stock for stock. You would need thousands of dollars in mods, most likely a Mopar stage 3 package.

Please don't make shit up, it doesn't help anyone
    making shit up?? a stock srt4 can witha good driver can do a 13.8, and with a moper stage 3 kit (3500 dollars) can do a 12.4 so who's making shit up? come close to even touching ohh please their only weakness is the fwd, which is the same as everyhitng else in his price range that he is considering. do you even know the specs on that engine? 230 hp and 250torque in a car that weighs 2900 pounds flat is fast no matter which way you look at it. granted its not an ls1 but people have gotten those cars into the 11s with the STOCK turbo. spend some time on other forums to see what is possible.. v8 ppl like you make the rest of us look like ignorant assholes

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

making shit up?? a stock srt4 can witha good driver can do a 13.8, and with a moper stage 3 kit (3500 dollars) can do a 12.4 so who's making shit up?
    Didn't say it couldn't.

come close to even touching ohh please their only weakness is the fwd, which is the same as everyhitng else in his price range that he is considering. do you even know the specs on that engine? 230 hp and 250torque in a car that weighs 2900 pounds flat is fast no matter which way you look at it. granted its not an ls1 but people have gotten those cars into the 11s with the STOCK turbo.
    I already knew the engine specs as well as the weight. That doesn't change what I said.

spend some time on other forums to see what is possible.. v8 ppl like you make the rest of us look like ignorant assholes
    I do. I didn't deny that the SRT-4 had a lot of potential or that it can be made fast with thousands of dollars in mods, specifically a Mopar Stage 3. In fact, I said exactly that. Learn to read, your post is nothing but a meaningless rant

Burgandy
    2002 Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RYDER661 View Post
    As everyone knows ls1's are gas hogger's regardless of what people say 19mpg city and 28 hwy ss bs because i get 280 combined equal city n highway 19mpg time 16 gallon tank = 304 miles that assuming u drive only city so to get to the point i need a gas saving vehicle and i wont settle for a ugly 4 banger hybrid i want a performance 4 banger that saves gas that fits in my budget of under 25k i wanted to know what everyone thinks of performance 4 bangers like the ss superharged cobalt as opposed to the new civic si or the acura type s remember gas saving performance cars under 25k that look nice not turbo wrx's they dont save gas if you guys know of any other cars in the category of the cobalt ss supercharged please let me know this car looks cool n sporty plus ive seen it beat older gt mustangs on top end speed
    If I may chime in... IMHO

The WRX is an excellent choice for good bang for the buck.
    My other car is a 1999 Impreza RS (it came out a couple of years befor the WRX came to the states) it came stock with only 165hp.
    I had Rallispec (NJ) put a custom turbo kit on it. With only 6psi, the car ran 13.5@101mph

While not the fastest car, it is an awesome street car, with good aftermarket support and has AWD traction. It is fun in rain, dirt, and sand too. You will still need to fill up with super unleaded though.

It is a very fun car to drive and should be considered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information