Thread: Alfa Romeo 164

Green
    1996 Acura Integra

Alfa Romeo 164

Next semester my wife and I both have classes at about the same time at campuses in different counties. Both schools are community colleges and the one I'm going to is closer to my work which is why I choose it. My classes are on two campuses morning and evening classes.

So I need another car and I see this Alfa for sale. As Jeremy Clarkson says if your a real petrol head you've drove an Alfa. But that's not why it caught my attention. I don't like losing my car in the parking lot and I don't like driving something that I see everywhere. For example the truck I had in high school and up till about a year or so ago (roughly 5 yrs) was a 2003 yellow w/ black racing stripes ext cab v6. It actually glowed at night in parking lots. I could always spot it.
    Back to the car. It's a 1991 Alfa Romeo 164 L. It has tan leather interior, auto, green. As far as I know all of the 164's that made it to the states had a 3 liter v6. The engine looks cool too. The back seat looks like no one has sat in them. There is one blemish of a black smudge mark on one seat. The driver's seat has a rip on the side from getting in and out. The odometer has around 108,000 on it. Paint looks good with only one small dent on the hood. The guy (its a used car lot that my wife's dad has close ties to) wants $2500 for it.

The reason for the thread?
    Has anyone here had any experience with these cars? I know about the www.alfabb.com site but why create an account to post there? Is there anything major that I should look out for? I don't know how much stock I put in the reviews saying that this car will out run Mustangs. But then again no one said anything about an f-body.

Looks like this:

or

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

I like to start off by saying that is one ugly looking car. I don't know anything about Alfa's, but I do know there is not a Alfa dealership within 100 miles of me so if anything does go wrong (god forbid) you might have trouble finding parts, they are rare on the road here in the states. Why not go with a domestic make or a more popular import?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Cool engine compartment, but I would have nightmares thinking about looking for parts.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Parts are hard to find and you need someone who knows what they are doing with them. You'd be surprised how many people won't touch them.

I'm lucky in that I have a guy within 50 miles that works on nothing but Alfa's. And he's quite acquainted with my car.

I don't know anything about that model. I have an 88 spider graduate. It's a fun and quick little car. It handles amazingly.

But, if you can't work on it yourself... know someone who can

Green
    1996 Acura Integra

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    I like to start off by saying that is one ugly looking car. I don't know anything about Alfa's, but I do know there is not a Alfa dealership within 100 miles of me so if anything does go wrong (god forbid) you might have trouble finding parts, they are rare on the road here in the states. Why not go with a domestic make or a more popular import?
    First off I like how it looks in person. The creature comforts are nice too. There are built in shades, for example, in the back which makes me think of my daughter's comfort. Almost all of the reviews I have read make this car to be very reliable and enjoyable to drive. I have yet to test drive it and look forward to it. It looks to be in great shape for a 19 year old car. For maintenance I can handle. Anything major I that I can't work out I know people who aren't afraid to look into it. Not to mention it will not be long that Alfas will be for sale on Dodge sales floors.
    Now if you have any ideas of unique cars that cost less than three grand in the Greensboro, NC area that would be great. I know I saw a mid 80s Supra for about the same price.

Edit: I do like 3 series BMWs, not so much on early 90's M-Bs. My wife doesn't like the idea of an f-body and I need a DD anyways. So the gas hog v-8 is out for now. I would like a 4 door, at least 4+ seating, car that performs. Lexus it alright I do like the SC300s. Hard to find a 240sx much less one that is in good order. Hondas are over priced around here. ....
    Last edited by loasdrums; 01-04-2010 at 10:17 AM.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Quote Originally Posted by loasdrums View Post
    First off I like how it looks in person. The creature comforts are nice too. There are built in shades, for example, in the back which makes me think of my daughter's comfort. Almost all of the reviews I have read make this car to be very reliable and enjoyable to drive. I have yet to test drive it and look forward to it. It looks to be in great shape for a 19 year old car. For maintenance I can handle. Anything major I that I can't work out I know people who aren't afraid to look into it. Not to mention it will not be long that Alfas will be for sale on Dodge sales floors.
    Now if you have any ideas of unique cars that cost less than three grand in the Greensboro, NC area that would be great. I know I saw a mid 80s Supra for about the same price.

Edit: I do like 3 series BMWs, not so much on early 90's M-Bs. My wife doesn't like the idea of an f-body and I need a DD anyways. So the gas hog v-8 is out for now. I would like a 4 door, at least 4+ seating, car that performs. Lexus it alright I do like the SC300s. Hard to find a 240sx much less one that is in good order. Hondas are over priced around here. ....
    No I dont have any ideas as to the "unique" car market where you live.

Thread Information