Thread: Airbag Question

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Airbag Question

I've come here to ask non-LSX specific questions before. I'm doing some research of my own but I'm curious if anyone else has experience with this or maybe a tech somewhere has done it.

Back ground: My mom had a massive heart attack. She is not recovering and will be getting a mechanical assist device implanted to function in conjunction with her heart so that she can have a life still. One of the many issues we are looking at is vehicle issues. My step dad has a small truck that you can turn off the airbag on the passenger side. I know the short answer in other vehicles is for her to ride in the back seat but it's going to make her miserable to ride everywhere like that. She's already been told she'll never drive again.

I did some research on disabling passenger side airbags and the National Highway Safety foundation or association or whatever they are approves of it being done for medical reasons. Her heart pump is one of the reasons as a major blow to her chest after the surgery will likely dislodge the pump and cause massive internal and certainly fatal bleeding.

Any advice of where to go? My immediate thought is to contact a dealer with paperwork from the highway folks and her doctors. But I feel like they will probably have liability concerns by disabling it. There are options to install on/off switches. I already told my step not to look at me. I don't screw with air bags. But I'm curious if anyone has any opinions/suggestions/advice. Thanks.

If any GM techs see this and want to comment, if it matters, she drives an 07 Pontiac Vibe.
    Y2K SS A4 Y2Y GU5: 12.96@106-SLP FLO PAC|P&P Stock TB | Pacesetter LT's | TSP Rumbler X Duals | B&M Trans Cooler | Rear Tubular LCA's w/ Relocation Brackets | Tubular PHB | SFC's | Diablo Sport Tuning

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by IH8EVRY1 View Post
    I've come here to ask non-LSX specific questions before. I'm doing some research of my own but I'm curious if anyone else has experience with this or maybe a tech somewhere has done it.

Back ground: My mom had a massive heart attack. She is not recovering and will be getting a mechanical assist device implanted to function in conjunction with her heart so that she can have a life still. One of the many issues we are looking at is vehicle issues. My step dad has a small truck that you can turn off the airbag on the passenger side. I know the short answer in other vehicles is for her to ride in the back seat but it's going to make her miserable to ride everywhere like that. She's already been told she'll never drive again.

I did some research on disabling passenger side airbags and the National Highway Safety foundation or association or whatever they are approves of it being done for medical reasons. Her heart pump is one of the reasons as a major blow to her chest after the surgery will likely dislodge the pump and cause massive internal and certainly fatal bleeding.

Any advice of where to go? My immediate thought is to contact a dealer with paperwork from the highway folks and her doctors. But I feel like they will probably have liability concerns by disabling it. There are options to install on/off switches. I already told my step not to look at me. I don't screw with air bags. But I'm curious if anyone has any opinions/suggestions/advice. Thanks.

If any GM techs see this and want to comment, if it matters, she drives an 07 Pontiac Vibe.
    1st of all i'm sorry to hear about your mom. I never work with a Vibe but if you are attempting to do this yourself you have to be very careful. Airbag can deploy even with the battery disconnected. The electronics hold power for a specific amount of time due to capacitors. In most vehicles solid yellow wire means that is related with the airbag system. If you are doing this yourself I will disconnect the battery of the car and let the car sit for at least 1 hour. Then remove the panels that are underneath the areas where the airbags are located. You will see the solid yellow wire around the area. If you trace it there will be a point that it will have a connector. Make sure that the wire belongs to the airbags that you need to turn off. You can unplug the connector and the airbag is disable. Now your airbag light will be on all the time. This will disable the airbag permanent until if gets pluged back.

If you do this remember you are doing this at your risk. Never put your head close to the airbag while working around it and never cut both wires together.

If you want a dealer to do it i will stop by with all the paperwork you have explain them the situation and see what can they do for you. Try contacting the National Highway Safety foundation for advise on where to start.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

^^^ agree with this and i know the air bags in my car have a warning label attached to said yellow wire to make it stand out

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Thanks for the input guys. The last month has been wild. I gave her away on May 7th. Deployed may 9th. She had a heart attack May 19th and I got a Red Cross message on the 20th to come home. Been here fighting her and her new hubby's battles since. I'm leaving again on Sunday. She had open heart surgery yesterday and is doing great. I'm not even close to home or tools so I'm not screwing with it. I got them the information from the NHSF and recommended them taking it to a dealer after life slows down (not that it hasn't already come to an almost screaching hault) a little for them. I appreciate the advice and info.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by IH8EVRY1 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. The last month has been wild. I gave her away on May 7th. Deployed may 9th. She had a heart attack May 19th and I got a Red Cross message on the 20th to come home. Been here fighting her and her new hubby's battles since. I'm leaving again on Sunday. She had open heart surgery yesterday and is doing great. I'm not even close to home or tools so I'm not screwing with it. I got them the information from the NHSF and recommended them taking it to a dealer after life slows down (not that it hasn't already come to an almost screaching hault) a little for them. I appreciate the advice and info.
    I hope she gets better and for you to come home safe. Let us know if you need any more help or advise.

hugger orange

Sorry to hear about her man and Thankyou for your service and good luck over there!

All vehicles from the mid 90s had all their airbag systems marked with yellow plugs and yellow tape on the airbag wiring if that helps...in my opinion your best option would be to completely remove the passenger side air bag.

Thread Information