who makes the craftsman tool chests?

I was curious who makes the craftsman tool chests? I have the ball bearing tool chest and the drawers are starting to sink, and the quality of the craftsman tool chest stinks! Where are these tool chests made? Are they made in the USA?

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

I don't know where or who makes them, but anytime I've had a problem with a Craftsman product it's been a simple swap out.
    Try it.

Waterloo Industries makes Craftsman tool chest. I worked there for a while. Mom and Dad both work there now. A lot of are chest lines have been moved to mexico (Love the North American Free Trade Agreement). They have been having a lot of problems with the plant. If you notice a lot to the tool boxs no longer say made in America on them because of this. So yeah, the quality has gone down since they have been in Mexico. They are thinking of moving all the factories to China and you no how good china products are.

what do u guys think of this tool chest by harbor freight? Does anyone here have this tool chest? Is this a good quality tool chest?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90320

blue
    1997 expedition

Quote Originally Posted by articz28 View Post
    Waterloo Industries makes Craftsman tool chest. I worked there for a while. Mom and Dad both work there now. A lot of are chest lines have been moved to mexico (Love the North American Free Trade Agreement). They have been having a lot of problems with the plant. If you notice a lot to the tool boxs no longer say made in America on them because of this. So yeah, the quality has gone down since they have been in Mexico. They are thinking of moving all the factories to China and you no how good china products are.
    Harbor Freight have better chinese tool chest,

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Matco has the best and most custom tool boxes.but they are expensive,you know what they say,get what you pay for.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I am glad my tool chests are all 10 to 25 year old Craftsman -- never had an issue with any of them. It's kind of funny, I used to get pissed trying to buy stuff and finding that it was "Made in Mexico". Nowadays, I'll take that over "Made in China" every time.

White
    2001 SS #3504

Quote Originally Posted by 02transamce View Post
    Matco has the best and most custom tool boxes.but they are expensive,you know what they say,get what you pay for.
    I agree totaly about the quality.. Matco is top notch.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by casperss View Post
    I agree totaly about the quality.. Matco is top notch.
    i really like how many color combos you could put together for a really custom box.the Montgomery,AL didn't get a Matco dealer till after i spent a lot of money on Mac tools and a Mac box,oh well.do have a few Matco tools and have no complaints about their products.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Quote Originally Posted by importssuck View Post
    what do u guys think of this tool chest by harbor freight? Does anyone here have this tool chest? Is this a good quality tool chest?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90320
    link no worky, I just bought a $150 tool chest from them for the garage and it is fine for that. It was the 13 drawer-3 level upright roller model and I could not beat the price.

388 rwhp & 370 rwtq
    2001 Camaro SS #847

i bought a 52" (or whatever that size model is) matco last year, in stealth black. it looks SICK, i get tons of compliments. & quality is very good. a few people have snap on's too, also nice quality but not worth the extra $ IMO. we've had more snap on tools fail than matco, ESPECIALLY stay away from the cheap snap on "blue point" stuff, its total made in china trash.

here is a pic of me workin on the SS (sold now) last year. its over to the right.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Most of Crapsmen tools are already stamped "made in china"..

Their quality was down even 20 years ago..

Purchased one of their "better" top and bottom tool chests in the mid 90's..

First the top box drawers started to bind and jump track..

The first day I had the bottom box I locked it and the key lock tumbler fell off inside the box which was locked..

Took like 4 hours to fish out the parts and get the POS open again..

Father inlaw has 30++ year old crapsmen tool chests and every drawer is broken from fatigue in the middle of the handle..

Where there was once @ least half desent quality, is now cheap chinese junk like most other things sold in this country anymore.

Craftsman has always been hit or miss..

red
    01 Mustang w/Chevy 5.3L

It's funny this thread comes up. I was recently searching for a new toolbox and was going to buy a craftsman top and bottom in stainless steel but wasn't happy with the quality for $1200. I ended up buying mt father-in-laws 30 year old Stanley setup that's probably twice as heavy as any of the boxes I was considering. Seems like everything out there today is complete junk!

I had a nice old craftsman tool chest that has always worked flawless. Unfortunately it was damaged during the move out here to AZ so I had to go tool chest shopping.

I wound up at Costco and bought a large roll around they had a few years ago. I couldn't beat the price for the size compared to what the local Sears/craftsmans had. Don't know where it's made or who makes it,,,but it's been doing fine.

I'd love to do Matco or something similar,,,but unfortunately they aren't right up the street dealing to the general public. I'm just not going to do a mail order on something like that. Tools are the same way.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LSX01MUSTANG View Post
    It's funny this thread comes up. I was recently searching for a new toolbox and was going to buy a craftsman top and bottom in stainless steel but wasn't happy with the quality for $1200. I ended up buying mt father-in-laws 30 year old Stanley setup that's probably twice as heavy as any of the boxes I was considering. Seems like everything out there today is complete junk!
    For engine work and repairs I us stanley hand tools.. Still some of the best middle of the road tools I've used..

Thread Information