Thread: Garage Drip Pan

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Garage Drip Pan

I generally do not consider Walmart a place to buy tools or garage equipment, but these are just what the doctor ordered. We just poured a concrete floor in our storage building and wanted to protect the floor. A couple of our project cars... well, all of our project cars, drip a little fluid. After some shopping on the computer, I ended up ordering 8 of these pans for $11.97 each. The pans are just about 2' x 4' in size so they are long enough to cover the area under both the engine and transmission. I was shocked that our local store had them in stock and I picked them up the same day after placing a "site-to-store" order.

Here's the link: ATP Extra Large Oil Drip Pan: Motor Oil, Transmission Fluid & Car Lubricant : Walmart.com

I have a few of those here, very handy and rinse out easily. I grab them off the rack from our local Autozone for about the same price. I haven't seen them at our local Walmart but I'll look a little harder and see if I can compare prices.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As far as I know, they do not have them on display at our local store.

Finally got a chance to check out the local Walmart. I guess I never paid attention before. Sure enough they had them on the shelf right next to drain pans and funnels.

Same price you mentioned Jeff which is what I was paying at Autozone. But the nice thing I realized is that the pans I was getting at Autozone are only 36" long, they aren't quite enough to cover the engine and trans at the same time. I noticed right away the Walmart pans were definately longer. When I got them home the tape measure says 47"

Same price, longer pan. Thanks for the tip Jeff.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Glad I could help out.

I have to print off some reminders to leave in the cars so I don't run one over pulling out of the garage. The way I have the cars parked, it isn't a straight shot out.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

You should consider painting your floor UCoat It Epoxy Floor Coating | UCoat It Epoxy Floor Coating
    Then just a quick wipe and it's gone. Have it for going on 10yrs and had brake fluid, oil, gas, antifreeze, gear oil , beer it all cleans right up. Weld, grind all with no problems.
    I'm however going to do a recoat as the cinders that fall from cars in the winter is wearing it down where we park(tire tracks) try to keep them cleaned up but can't always.
    Not cheap but best stuff I've seen

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    You should consider painting your floor UCoat It Epoxy Floor Coating | UCoat It Epoxy Floor Coating
    Then just a quick wipe and it's gone. Have it for going on 10yrs and had brake fluid, oil, gas, antifreeze, gear oil , beer it all cleans right up. Weld, grind all with no problems.
    I'm however going to do a recoat as the cinders that fall from cars in the winter is wearing it down where we park(tire tracks) try to keep them cleaned up but can't always.
    Not cheap but best stuff I've seen
    Have that already, still don't like the mess on my floors I keep a bucket/mop handy for easy clean ups, but too many classic cars sitting around in there to keep up with all the time. Drip pans let me forget about it for a while.

Also handy to use inside my car trailer since any oil ruins my checker board lenolium floor. Even the oils that seep from tires stain that floor.

Silver

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Have that already, still don't like the mess on my floors I keep a bucket/mop handy for easy clean ups, but too many classic cars sitting around in there to keep up with all the time. Drip pans let me forget about it for a while.

Also handy to use inside my car trailer since any oil ruins my checker board lenolium floor. Even the oils that seep from tires stain that floor.
    I was recommending it to Jeff as he just built that big fancy garage. That is a great floor coating. And you are right I also hate cleaning up the oil so I have some of those oil dry sheets under mine also. I don't have the Bad Luck you and Jeff have with a fleet of oil leakers to mess up my garage. I think that pan would be a good investment just to have under the car when you are wrenching on them to catch any fluids(gas,oil, antifreeze ) or any bolts, sockets or anything that falls and you look for ever because it rolls off. May just hit the pan and stop there.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I think every car has at least one thing that drips fluid... just the way it is.

If you had as many classics hibernating for the last 30 years as I do, you'd have a fleet of oil leakers

It's unavoidable. Cars I drive are fine, have been mechanically gone through, and see routine exersize. Others are still waiting in the wings.

Shucks even my 4th gen has sprung a leak over the last few months. Apparently Strange is slacking in there 12 bolt builds. Both lower plug welds where the axle tubes connect to the 3rd member started seeping. Fixed that back then, but it developed another leak a couple months ago. Put it on the lift and found out that Strange didn't apply sealant on the pinion splines. The seal is dry but it's seeping oil through the pinion nut. So that will have to come back off and sealant applied to the splines.

I don't have time for it right now, too busy. So a drip pan was slid under the car for the time being

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    If you had as many classics hibernating for the last 30 years as I do, you'd have a fleet of oil leakers

It's unavoidable. Cars I drive are fine, have been mechanically gone through, and see routine exersize. Others are still waiting in the wings.
    What I ment about bad luck was not ment as bad thing I was just referring that I wish I had a fleet of oil leakers as my Garage is looking pretty empty latly after the sale of all my bikes and quads I'm only left with a leaking Trans Am and a 2012 Chevy Sonic with no leaks.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If I ever get a garage where the floor is not already all f'd up, I'm definitely getting some of these pans.

Thread Information