Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1990 Mustang

Floor jack recommendations

Alright, so I have a craftsman 3 1/2 ton floor jack that I've had for 7 years and it worked well for the first few years, then it started to leak and wont lift anything now. So, I think its time for a new one. I'd like to get another 3 1/2 ton or 4 ton for $150 or less. I would get another craftsman but I've heard repeatedly that they're prone to leaking. So my question is are there any other good brands out there that are rated for the weight I'm looking for and in my price range?
    Last edited by [CJ]; 02-11-2011 at 08:08 AM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I doubt it. $150 is a pretty cheap 3 ton jack unfortunately.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

I'm in the same boat as CJ. I have that same jack and it will lift my car but not the truck any more. What is a good jack and how much do I have to spend. Need it low profile also.
    Ryan

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Believe it or not, harbor freight has a decent aluminum low profile 4000 pound jack. Its worked on cars that others didn't. The handle is farther back then some others so you can actually pump it up. The only problem is the lift pad is fixed, it doesn't spin. Its also only a 2 ton.

But a good heavy duty 3 to 4 ton floor jack will cost $300 to $600 dollars

1990 Mustang

I'm in the same boat as CJ. I have that same jack and it will lift my car but not the truck any more. What is a good jack and how much do I have to spend. Need it low profile also.
    Ryan
    Ryan,
    I noticed if you change the hydraulic oil it helps a bit, but its only a marginal improvement. I looked into replacing the whole hydraulic cylinder but it costs $180, which is more than I paid for the jack itsself. Nice avatar btw,love Sevendust.

Believe it or not, harbor freight has a decent aluminum low profile 4000 pound jack. Its worked on cars that others didn't. The handle is farther back then some others so you can actually pump it up. The only problem is the lift pad is fixed, it doesn't spin. Its also only a 2 ton.
    That one looks nice, but I need something thats rated for more weight. Really I'm just looking for one that won't leak.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I recently bought a cheap Harbor Freight aluminum jack -- needed something light and portable to take to the track. I am actually quite impressed with it so far. I also have a leaking Craftsman floor jack in my garage. I can still use it, but it slowly settles if any weight is left on it. I believe you can purchase a rebuild kit for their jacks, but have never looked into it.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I recently bought a cheap Harbor Freight aluminum jack -- needed something light and portable to take to the track. I am actually quite impressed with it so far. I also have a leaking Craftsman floor jack in my garage. I can still use it, but it slowly settles if any weight is left on it. I believe you can purchase a rebuild kit for their jacks, but have never looked into it.
    I'm going to look into that rebuild kit. That way I have a "back up" But I also want a GOOD jack. If there is one thing I hate more than anything it is when a tool fails me. Can someone give me a name of a good quality jack or a site to research them.

CJ your avatar is kick ass also. Is that Rob Zombie?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Wish I could recommend a good brand, but I'm really not sure. We use a bunch of Mac Tools 3.5 ton floor jacks at work. They are pretty nice and have lasted 4 to 5 years of hard abuse, but they are starting to show signs of wearing out.
    I was looking at jacks here. I was thinking about buying the American Forge & Foundry model 350ss with the double pump for $400 shipped.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Man there's more then a couple nice jacks on that site! I need to buy a jack soon!

1990 Mustang

CJ your avatar is kick ass also. Is that Rob Zombie?
    nope, Zakk Wylde

I was thinking about buying the American Forge & Foundry model 350ss with the double pump for $400 shipped.
    Those are very nice! But expensive. I may have to bite the bullet and get one.
    Last edited by [CJ]; 02-13-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Marina Blue
    1968 Chevelle SS396

I have the same craftsman jack sitting in the corner of my garage because it started leaking. It is about 10 yrs old and worked just fine till lately. I found another 3 ton jack at SAMS warehouse for about $90 and just love it. It has the fast jack (1 or 2 pumps to get to the surface) and was made by Michelin tire.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by GarySS396 View Post
    I have the same craftsman jack sitting in the corner of my garage because it started leaking. It is about 10 yrs old and worked just fine till lately. I found another 3 ton jack at SAMS warehouse for about $90 and just love it. It has the fast jack (1 or 2 pumps to get to the surface) and was made by Michelin tire.
    my buddy has this same jack....good jack. He's had it maybe 6-7 years and still works like new. I'm going to pick one up the next time I'm at sam's. I have a low profile aluminum craftsman that don't leak but it's only a 1.5 ton so it won't work on the duramax.

White
    1998 Z28

I got an email from Harbor freight with 20% off and on sale you can get a 4 ton aluminum for $129.

black
    1998 transam ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Click for full size

i have the same jack love it

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

northern tools

Arcan Floor Jack 3 1/2 ton $109 on sale now

98 Formula
    06 duramax

was just at sears...... 3 ton for $79 and a 4 ton for $149

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by [CJ] View Post
    Alright, so I have a craftsman 3 1/2 ton floor jack that I've had for 7 years and it worked well for the first few years, then it started to leak and wont lift anything now. So, I think its time for a new one. I'd like to get another 3 1/2 ton or 4 ton for $150 or less. I would get another craftsman but I've heard repeatedly that they're prone to leaking. So my question is are there any other good brands out there that are rated for the weight I'm looking for and in my price range?
    If that's what you're looking to spend, try Jeg's - sometimes they'll have sales on them in the price range you're at. For as often as I'm just going to guess that you use it, it shouldn't be too bad.

White
    '10 ZR1

Man there's more then a couple nice jacks on that site! I need to buy a jack soon!
    Wowwww - that "200T lowrider" jack is going to make it's way to my place. That's exactly what I need!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Click for full size

My friend has this jack and i have the small one. Excellent jack, no complaints so far.

Ralley Red/Black Top
    2000 Camaro SS, 2006 GTO

I got mine at Walmart it has been a pretty good jack so far

Thread Information