Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

SOM
    2001 SOM WS6 408

who has gone from ols muscle to an LS1?

Well I have a 70 SS Chevelle right now. I am also taking delivery of an 01 WS6 6 speed in SOM. I had a 2000 SS h/c/i and I am now thinking of selling the chevelle because I rarely drive it now without the new car. Just wondering do you people REALLY miss the garage queen collectors? I also could use the money for a nice D1SC kit

Previous cars
    (2) 1970 Chevelle SS 396
    and a 56 chevy 150 pro street,tubbed,narrowed 9 inch 4.56 gears,427.
    Got tired of the car show scene and repairs. Then I got a bone stock 99 vette frc,sold it to buy the one I have now.

01 WS6,228/236,578/588 114 custom comp,ported/polished factory heads w/manley race master valves,978 dual springs,Comp titanium retainers,hardend pushrods,160 stat,MSD,NGK,SLP bellows/mass air,ARP ,BG ram air,3400 midwest stall,DTS 12 Bolt 3.73,Spohn sway bar,QA1s,BMR rear susp,Macs,ORY,Magnaflow.
    Lot more fun having a high 11 second car that has cold air and loaded with power goodies. Now I'am thinking about a 02 Z06.

I have 2 LS1's but I still prefer to drive my old school hot rods to cruise nights. You'll regret getting rid of the chevelle in the long run.

These 4th gens are nice to drive around with good power, mileage and comfort,,,but they just don't have the appeal of an old school muscle car to me. Keep in mind this is coming from someone that grew up around 60's muscle and I still own most of what I had back then.
    I had thought of selling a few of them over the years but now I know that would have been foolish. My son enjoys them more than anything now and want to bring him up right ya know I still drive them on a regular basis, no garage queens here.

If you decide you want one later, keep in mind prices are still climbing with what seems like no end in sight. I know if I sold mine I could never replace them at a later date. They are already out of reach for the average American. 4th gens right now are everywhere and easy/cheap to get.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Don't do it! I am still kicking myself in the ass for selling my 69 Chevelle's!!! I had two and they were the loves of my life. I always thought that I would be able to just buy another, but it didn't work out that way. Not without a total restore and rebuild.

This is my first LS1 and basically the closest thing I could afford as a replacement to my completely restored, rebuilt 69 Malibu... I'd trade my Camaro in a heartbeat to get my Chevelle back.

If it's not a huge money issue. Keep it! You'll be sorry one day if you don't trust me.

I love my SS... but, there is nothing like classic American muscle

Just my humble opinion

SOM
    2001 SOM WS6 408

not a money issue...just need a procharger!

I wouldn't sell just for a bolt on to install on the 4th gen. I'd wait it out. Maybe Santa will be good to you

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JC70SS View Post
    not a money issue...just need a procharger!
    Start saving your pennies

Black
    99 SS

sold my 70' Chevelle for a T/A never drove the Chevelle anyways so not a big deal dont miss it at all

SOM
    2001 SOM WS6 408

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    sold my 70' Chevelle for a T/A never drove the Chevelle anyways so not a big deal dont miss it at all
    That is my exact situation. 1-2K miles/yr. Is it worth $40k??

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Hmm, well... I had the one Chevelle for just over 13 years and we went from zero to done together. So, guess there was a little more history there.

The last time it was stolen, it came back to me on a flatbed!!! I didn't have the money to put into it to at the time. So, I very sadly had to sell it. I was picky about who I sold it to also. I turned a few people down. Ended up selling to a guy who wanted to make it a restore project with his son. That made me feel a little better.

But, I think about that car everyday still.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zboner View Post
    You'll all of 22 Joel.....you probably didn't really appreciate the old skool muscle car as much 'cause you didn't grow up in that era.
    Quote Originally Posted by JC70SS
    How old are you? I wouldn't sell the chevelle but that's me. I say that because you're not hurting for money or anything. Seems like your situation is one that you don't "need" to sell it. If the chevelle doesn't get you wet down south then perhaps selling it is the right answer for you.

It's up to you. 1-2,000 miles a year is more than some people I know. I probably drive my chevelle 6-7,000 miles a year,,,and spread the rest of the mileage out among the others.
    I wouldn't sell if it was only used 500 miles a year personally. I'd park it as it doesn't cost me anything sitting in the garage. Not interested in making money on it either.

Is it worth $40K??? Don't know. So many clones out there, is it a legit SS?? Correct 12 bolt rear, power disc brakes, round dash gauges etc.... Being a 70 it would have to be either a 396 or 454 and of those engines there were 2 HP ratings for each. And only a 400 turbo or 4 speed muncie trans was available for these engines. A correctly restored numbers matching car is what brings the most money these days. Just too hard to put a price on from the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by ntimid8r View Post
    You'll all of 22 Joel.....you probably didn't really appreciate the old skool muscle car as much 'cause you didn't grow up in that era.

Hehe,,,I was thinking the same thing.

Tell us more about your 70 SS ?
    Real SS with build sheet
    396 or 454
    # matching engine,when I say that does the engine vin pad match the car vin ?
    My one ss was a real ss with the build sheet and a non matching 396 painted the correct color autum gold/white strips.I got 18k for that one. My other one was all matching # 396 , I traded that for a 56 pro street. I wish I had kept the # matching. I know these cars in and out.

SOM
    2001 SOM WS6 408

First of all I am 32.

Second car has build sheet. Original motor is gone. It has a Merlin 540 block with a baby roller cam. Tranny is a Tremec tk0 600. Everything is less than 3 yrs old. Car is NOT a racecar, never been to track, very factory appearing from outside. Yes obviously it has the SS dash, cowl hood, console buckets...ha ha even facotry SS rally wheels. No it doesn't have any traction.

Hard to price that. You would have to find the right buyer that doesn't mind a real SS that is modded in that way. Probably won't get restored money for it and may not even get what you have invested. Too hard to say really. Sounds like a cool ride though. Not sure why you don't drive that more often though, sounds like fun to me. I wouldn't sell, I'd be driving the wheels off of it.
    Sounds similar to mine minus the TKO600,,,,Wouldn't mind the overdrive since the 4.10's take me a while to get places. But even with the 4.10's I'd still rather jump in that and go places instead of the 4th gen.

Black
    BLK TA modded 12.2@113mph

AAAHHHHHH You can't sell that car. Man if you can keep it, keep it you will regret it later. They are hard to find and they will be worth more and more money. I magine how many you will see on the road in 20 years . Probably none. Good luck on your descision it's a hard one.

SOM
    2001 SOM WS6 408

well I have 40 invested, but don't expecto to sell it for more than high 20's.

First of all I am 32.

Second car has build sheet. Original motor is gone. It has a Merlin 540 block with a baby roller cam. Tranny is a Tremec tk0 600. Everything is less than 3 yrs old. Car is NOT a racecar, never been to track, very factory appearing from outside. Yes obviously it has the SS dash, cowl hood, console buckets...ha ha even facotry SS rally wheels. No it doesn't have any traction.
    Sounds like a fun car to me. I would also be driving that to death if I could afford the gas milage. Thats the thing with the old school muscle .gas and upkeep. Hard to say what you could sell it for. I have been watching some very very nice 55-57 and 67-69 camaros not bringing the money right now. I say keep it do some modern susp upgrades and a nice set of wheels and tires and drive that beast.

SOM
    2001 SOM WS6 408

yeah I probably will. Just tossing it around. Maybe I will just do headers and a big cam in the Ws6.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information