pewter
    99 Trans Am

what spark plags for vortec heads?

I have a set of vortec heads on my 77 Camaro what year heads I don't know,what spark plug do I need to use in a vortec head Right now I am running R42lts plugs. what do I need to run if this is the wrong plug? They are the good heads I ordered years ago from a speed shop ,I can't think of the name right now but it was something and dickey racing.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Scoggin-Dickey is my guess. Only way to tell if you have the correct plug (other than thread and length requirements) is to "read" it. There are charts on the internet that will tell you if the plug is operating in its optimal heat range. You are examining both the color and the deposits to get a good read. Obviously, if you are over fueling the engine (black soot), running it lean (very clean, maybe some speckling), or have internal issues (oily), you will not get a good read on the heat range.

Here is a sample of what I am referring to: https://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/spar...ult-diagnosis/

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Scoggin-Dickey is my guess. Only way to tell if you have the correct plug (other than thread and length requirements) is to "read" it. There are charts on the internet that will tell you if the plug is operating in its optimal heat range. You are examining both the color and the deposits to get a good read. Obviously, if you are over fueling the engine (black soot), running it lean (very clean, maybe some speckling), or have internal issues (oily), you will not get a good read on the heat range.

Here is a sample of what I am referring to: https://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/spar...ult-diagnosis/
    Thank you, after checking the plugs on the chart you sent it seems that I am running the right plugs, I can never remember the first name of the place I got the heads from, getting old will do that.

Hi, just a thought I will share this article here. Others might be curious what is the correct or recommended spark plugs for Vortec engines. I am using an Iridium type spark plugs and never had any issues with it. It saves me from frequent replacement compared to copper and it maintains performance without any loss of power.

Thread Information