Green
    1969 Pontiac Firebird 350

What headers should I put on?

I just recently bought a 1969 Firebird 350 and I want to put headers on it. I want to get headers that are at a decent price, not to cheap or expensive, and they have to have lots of ground clearance. My dad told me I should get Hedman. I'm not sure which kind I should get so please reply.

JAKES INC.
    Hedman headers are cheaper than hookers in price but not by that much. I would go with hooker headers since that is what I have bought for all my stuff.

Green
    1969 Pontiac Firebird 350

Is there ground clearance?

Do the hooker headers have a lot of ground clearance? My car is lowered so I need a lot of ground clearance.

JAKES INC.
    Usually hooker header are very good fitting headers and that is why I buy them. Never had a problem with them. For ground clearance I am not sure but they should be okay but depends on how low your car sits. In hotrod magizine they had a lowered g machine 69 camaro with hooker headers on a small block so it must have not had ground clearance problems. I would be the hooker headers for it just the regular comps or if you have more money you can buy the bigger tube size super comps but they are more for racing. You can buy them from jegs or summit for $150 dollars. I have bought a set of these for my 72 monte carlo since they fit chevelles and camaros and everything else for a sbc also and they fit my car perfect and have good ground clearance on my car but mine monte is not lowered.

Hope this helps you out,
    Jake

JAKES INC.
    Also the headers come painted hi temp black or you could add ceramic coating but that cost some more extra money but they do never rust and look great forever. I never felt like spending the extra money so when I bought my headers I went to a auto parts store and bought a can or hi temp black paint or header paint and sprayed the headers with another coat so when you intsall them they will not scratch and the paint won't come off as easy from trying to intsall them on the car. A trick I used was to wrap a old towel around them when sliding them in by the motor or from underneath to not scratch them up as bad. The paint also finally cures after the headers finally heat up for a bit when you let the car run for a little bit and shut it off it cures the paint to the headers. But after time they will look like crap but that is what happens.

Buy some good header gaskets like the mr. gasket ultra seal gaskets and some good header bolts and you will not have a problem with a leaking header gasket. The headers come with a set of gaskets I think but I always buy a better set buy they do work fine though.

Hope the headers work for ya.

black
    1968 Rally Sport

Don't waste the extra money on Hooker headers. I bought the Hooker headers and ended up returning them because they wouldn't work with my car...I have factory a/c. I ended up buying ceramic coated Hedman headers and was very please with the quality of them. I felt they were actually a better header than the Hookers.

black
    2000 camaro ss+ 1987 GN

Quote Originally Posted by JAKES INC. View Post
    Also the headers come painted hi temp black or you could add ceramic coating but that cost some more extra money but they do never rust and look great forever. I never felt like spending the extra money so when I bought my headers I went to a auto parts store and bought a can or hi temp black paint or header paint and sprayed the headers with another coat so when you intsall them they will not scratch and the paint won't come off as easy from trying to intsall them on the car. A trick I used was to wrap a old towel around them when sliding them in by the motor or from underneath to not scratch them up as bad. The paint also finally cures after the headers finally heat up for a bit when you let the car run for a little bit and shut it off it cures the paint to the headers. But after time they will look like crap but that is what happens.

Buy some good header gaskets like the mr. gasket ultra seal gaskets and some good header bolts and you will not have a problem with a leaking header gasket. The headers come with a set of gaskets I think but I always buy a better set buy they do work fine though.

Hope the headers work for ya.
    Whatever brand you buy i would go for the smallest DIA tubes, comp style bigger tubes dont help untill around 6000 rpms. Also an old trick i used to use is to soak the header gaskets in water. They will swell a bit so when you install them they will seal better after they dry.Good luck with you car.

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

Flow-Tech has cheap, decent quality headers as well, I personally like thorleys or hookers but flow-techs aren't bad, they have as thick of flanges as any others and you can get ceramic or nickel plated maybe even stainless(I forgot)
    2006 impulse blue G.T.O
    Iron Block 408
    Cam
    Pacesetter ceramic coated L.T.s
    LMII exhaust
    K&N CAI
    Ported TB
    Custom Tune
    FAST 90
    ZEX 125hp wet shot

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

i say bbk i got mine for $389 stainless steel with crome coating. im happy with them and they have a thick flange

Future Super Trooper Mr. CarelessAndImprudent's Avatar
    '69 Camaro

Hooker Super Comps here and my '69 is lowered a bit

Red
    1971 Camaro

When it comes to headers you get what you pay for. Not all hedders are created equally, some are made from heavier steel than others, some are painted, some coated, some chromed. Some are made from steel some are made from stainless…each effects price….for the most part, your major companies do a good job on fitment. Hit up the car shows and ask the question. Also, pick up the phone and call the company that makes them. ask them straight up about. For me I’ve used Hedman hedders on 20 some odd projects and they have worked for my applications…

Red
    1971 Camaro

When it comes to headers you get what you pay for. Not all hedders are created equally, some are made from heavier steel than others, some are painted, some coated, some chromed. Some are made from steel some are made from stainless…each effects price….for the most part, your major companies do a good job on fitment. Hit up the car shows and ask the question. Also, pick up the phone and call the company that makes them. ask them straight up about. For me I’ve used Hedman hedders on 20 some odd projects and they have worked for my applications…
    71 Camaro, roller cam 454 LS6, tremec TKO 600 5 speed, 2.56 gears, berlineta t-top, New Mexico plate "RAT454"
    74 Monte Carlo, 95 LT1 drive traIn swap, full computer,
    67 Buick Electra 225, 430 tire burner wildcat,
    +++if it ain't broke it's breaking+++

Red
    2001 Z28

If your running a Pontiac engine the most ground clearance will be with repo D port RA manifolds. Unless your running a VERY hot engine these work well.

1978 Corvette

The Hedmans will scrape if the bird is lowered.

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

Quote Originally Posted by 2KN1Z28 View Post
    If your running a Pontiac engine the most ground clearance will be with repo D port RA manifolds. Unless your running a VERY hot engine these work well.
    I agree, if you're that worried about ground clearance there's always shorties, the only problem is you're not going get quite as much power or sound from these two alternatives, due to the great scavenging of longtubes.

Thread Information