Robins egg blue
    1978 Camaro Lt

Smile Replacing water pump on 78 Camaro LT

I have coolant leaking from the 'weep hole thingy' and read earlier that pump should be replaced as soon as can be, and it is a very easy task. Not having done this b4, and finding minimal information about replacing in my Chilton manual, are there any tips or things I should be aware of?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

not too bad. you'll have to remove the fan, belts, alternator, and power steering pump to get to it.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black/Grey
    87RS

It's really easy. Don't use RTV but they have gasket glue. Use that to glue the gasket to pump. Other then that few hrs and your done.

Member since 1999 RATCHETMASTER's Avatar

pewter
    99 WS6 now belongs to X

you also have to drain the radiator and remove the lower radiator hose . . . that is sometimes a pain. If your lower rad hose is old, consider replacing it now. Then you can just cut it in half and makes it much easier to remove.
    99 T/A WS6 A4 Pewter
    02 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 EXT. CAB.
    1968 RS SS 350 camaro M4
    1969 Oldsmobile 442 convertible M3 (1of 87)
    1969 Firebird Turbo400
    1972 SS 454 Elcamino turbo 400
    1973 RS type LT Z28 M4
    and more 68 elco, 68 cutlass, 68 rs camaro, 74 Nova, 89 9C1 caprice, 95 LT1 caprice,

Quote Originally Posted by RATCHETMASTER View Post
    you also have to drain the radiator and remove the lower radiator hose . . . that is sometimes a pain. If your lower rad hose is old, consider replacing it now. Then you can just cut it in half and makes it much easier to remove.
    I would agree and change out the hoses....unless you know that they are fairly new. nothing worse then replacing the water pump to have a hose blow....especially since you basically have the system drained already.

Cyclone Grey
    2005 GTO

Since you are draining the coolant, you may want to consider changing out the thermostat to a high flow 160 degree. $10-$15 part could be cheap insurance. I have always found peace of mind knowing the whole cooling system has been checked and gone through. Good luck!

pewter
    99 WS6 now belongs to X

Quote Originally Posted by 75TransAm View Post
    Since you are draining the coolant, you may want to consider changing out the thermostat to a high flow 160 degree. $10-$15 part could be cheap insurance. I have always found peace of mind knowing the whole cooling system has been checked and gone through. Good luck!
    Hey, palmdale, eh?

I lived there in 90-92. I taught at lancaster high school. Lived in palmdale on lasker ave.
    I coached football, etc. and science.
    Lived there long?

Cyclone Grey
    2005 GTO

Going on 8 years. It's changed quite a bit since the 90s, but with the housing market on the decline, seems like the 90s all over again! Hopefully it will pick up soon. I'm confident it will. Seems like everyone is still moving up here for its affordability. So how do you like your Camaro? I had a 79 with t-tops. Now I have a 75 Trans Am that I just finished restoring.

pewter
    99 WS6 now belongs to X

Your 75 looks great (avitar pic). That is one of my favorite colors for the TA. I also like the black and gold (of course!).
    How long have you had it?
    I guess your are refering to my 73? It is a great car but is in need of some body work. (rust from driving it one year here in Utah.)
    I bought the car when I lived in Fresno, Ca. in 89. IT was pretty clean then. I love the car . . . rs type lt z28 4 speed car.
    #s matching so I probably need to sell it and buy one that I can do what ever I want to do to it.

Cyclone Grey
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by RATCHETMASTER View Post
    Your 75 looks great (avitar pic). That is one of my favorite colors for the TA. I also like the black and gold (of course!).
    How long have you had it?
    I guess your are refering to my 73? It is a great car but is in need of some body work. (rust from driving it one year here in Utah.)
    I bought the car when I lived in Fresno, Ca. in 89. IT was pretty clean then. I love the car . . . rs type lt z28 4 speed car.
    #s matching so I probably need to sell it and buy one that I can do what ever I want to do to it.
    I've had it for about 2 years now. It took me about a year and a half to restore it. It's numbers matching 400/ automatic car. There are a few little things left to do. The car was sitting under a pile of leaves out in Green Valley. My cousin picked up the car for a parts car. He had no idea it was a numbers matching car. I helped him out with his 81 T/A and he ended up giving me the car. The car was complete,howerver; it needed a major resoration. By the way, I'm new to the site, how to I post some pics of my cars?

Thread Information