Page 1 of 15 12345 ... LastLast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Next Project - 1970 Oldsmobile W-31

Now that the Trans Am is 99% done (for now) it is time to get back to work on our Cutlass. This is a car that we heard about being for sale several years ago. A gentleman from the next town over had purchased the car in the '80s and let it sit in his garage for 16 years without even putting the Title in his name.

We had no idea what we were going to look at, just that it was an "old car". We opened up his garage and under stacks of boxes and miscellaneous household items we found a very dusty 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S' W-31. The W-31 is the little brother to the big block W-30. It has a 350 c.i. engine with a few special parts on it. The engine is rated at 325 h.p. and is backed by a close ratio Muncie transmission.

Needless to say, we purchased the car on the spot for a price that we consider a steal and after giving everything a once over, changing fluids, hoses and belts, we were able to drive it for two years before undertaking the restoration. At this time, the chassis and running gear have been completed, the body is on a rotissere, and I am getting the engine ready to take to BTR's in Rochester, NY for a rebuild. While the engine is gone, I will rebuild the transmission and refurbish the driveshaft.

Unfortunately, the disassembly pre-dates my acquisition of a digital camera, but here is where we are at now:

I welded up the engine stand last weekend for the purpose of transporting it to BTR's. I just want to make sure that it has something stable to ride on for what will be about a 3 hour trip. During disassembly, we found that the rear was a 3.90 10 bolt out of a GTO. We located an "O" axle in a local boneyard that we bought for $50. It has since been rebuilt with 3.42 gears and a W-27 cover has been installed.
    Last edited by pajeff02; 03-09-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quite the find.

This should be a good thread. Looking forward to you posting your progress

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

WOW! Great find! If you need help finding olds stuff let me know. There is two local guys in my area that do a lot of olds restoration and carb work.

Sad to say guys but I find this car more attractive than the 4th gen f body.
    Wanna trade...
    Last edited by 02Sweet; 04-08-2010 at 04:39 AM. Reason: I can't spell

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The ram air hood on our Trans Am is by far more sinister looking imo -- but I agree, the appearance of the Olds with its factory ram air hood and factory hood locks is pretty badass. I am looking forward to getting this car back on the road next year (hopefully).

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Good to see another classic being rescued. It's sad when you see them sitting in people's garages collecting dust and being tables. Even worse when the people wont sell them to someone who will restore them. Definately subscribed - gotta see this project continue. Should be a sweet car when you're done Jeff.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

It's taken me quite a while to learn to appreciate our 4th gens I will always prefer the classics when it comes to looks. I'm just set in my ways in that respect.

So, I also love to see people taking these cars and giving them the love they deserve

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Looking good Jeff! I'm amazed it did'nt have a "bondo body" too.. The bores on that block look like there's hardly any wear.. I built a 77 Cutlass 350 "rocket" motor with stock internals except for an RV cam once. Them old Olds motors made awesome torque imho.. Good Luck, I love seeing old muscle get new life..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Looking good Jeff! I'm amazed it did'nt have a "bondo body" too.. The bores on that block look like there's hardly any wear.. I built a 77 Cutlass 350 "rocket" motor with stock internals except for an RV cam once. Them old Olds motors made awesome torque imho.. Good Luck, I love seeing old muscle get new life..

There is a tiny patch at the bottom of one quarter and a decent sized dent on the other when it was backed into by a truck years ago. The car has around 40,000 original miles and is in otherwise great shape. We checked bore and taper on all the cylinders and they are in spec. Only concern is a little scale in two cylinders that looks like moisture got to them, so we'll have to bore it.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Looking forward to the progress.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

E-mailed the engine builder and am setting up a date to deliver everything to his shop. It's about 2-1/2 hours from home up in Rochester, NY, so we'll make a day out of it. I had previously sent the balancer to California for it to be rebuilt per his recommendations.

Need to order up the engine and transmission mounts and figure out what to do for a clutch. I installed a Zoom in our Corvette and have been very pleased with the pedal feel and engagement. The Olds engine is rated stock at around 325 h.p. and should be approaching 380 - 400 h.p. with the planned modifications. Any clutch recommendations?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Spec makes a good clutch, and Ram does too. I've upgraded to a Spec super twin two disk clutch in mine while the tranny is out being upgraded. I used to run a Ram - it was a very good clutch too. I've heard Zoom clutches are good. Seeing as this is only the second car I've ever had to do a clutch on I don't have any other suggestions. I'm sure others will pipe in with suggestions though. Sounds like your moving right along. I don't know how you keep up with all the projects you've got going.... but it sounds like fun.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Heading up to Rochester on the 18th. Taking the day off work to deliver the engine to BTR Performance. While we are up there, I am also going to try to check out the New Era Performance Shop (site sponsor) to see what they offer. May have to pick up a transmission cooler for the Trans Am.

Unkown (YET)
    1962 Chevy II

You don't hear of them rare barn finds too much anymore......Congrats!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 4SpeedChevyII View Post
    You don't hear of them rare barn finds too much anymore......Congrats!

Thanks! We truly weren't sure what we were going to see when he opened the door. I just wish I had taken my camera.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Made the trek up to BTR Performance today and dropped off the engine. The shop owner, Bill Trovato, is just a hell of a nice guy. He spent about an hour and a half with us looking everything over and discussing the build. Looks like my 350 is on its way to becoming a stroked and roller cammed 375 that will be camouflaged with massaged stock heads and manifolds.
    Last edited by pajeff02; 01-15-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Corrected displacement.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Made the trek up to BTR Performance today and dropped off the engine. The shop owner, Bill Trovato, is just a hell of a nice guy. He spent about an hour and a half with us looking everything over and discussing the build. Looks like my 350 is on its way to becoming a stroked and roller cammed 375 that will be camouflaged with massaged stock heads and manifolds.
    Nice! Going for a sleeper approach? Either way, that should be one healthy running motor. Any idea on how long the engine build will take?
    Last edited by pajeff02; 01-15-2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Corrected displacement.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Nice! Going for a sleeper approach? Either way, that should be one healthy running motor. Any idea on how long the engine build will take?

I told him it's not a rush -- I need to rebuild the transmission and get the body out of the lower garage to start working on the underneath. Lots of ancillary parts to refurbish as well.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Sounds like it will have a little get up and go

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Another pre-vacation project was getting started on the wheels for the Olds. I took them to a monument company (as in headstones) several weeks ago to have them sandblasted. I have a cabinet, but it seems that rims just take forever in it. For $50, they blasted all 4 rims and did a great job.

I applied POR around the perimeter of the wheels as this will prevent the bead from ever rusting. I then utilized a spray primer to shoot the front and back of the wheel. I'll lightly scuff them before shooting the correct gray for the Super Stock II's. Here they are in primer and POR:

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

are those 14 or 15 inch?

Page 1 of 15 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information