Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

New dark age for muscle cars coming?

Not sure if anyone"s been following the news headlines this week on the new CAFE standards coming out in the near future or not, but it's interesting that GM execs are publicly saying these new fuel economy standards (coming out in 10 years I believe) will pretty much kill muscle cars as we know it (their words, not mine). Be interesting to see if things will be as bad as they were in the 70's and 80's for muscle car lovers (i.e. the Mustang II and 4 cylender Camaro and Firebird!). I guess on a brighter note, the cars we're collecting today may become even more collectible than we thought if GM's predictions are correct... Still, I hate the thought of an electric Camaro... ugggh, just ain't the same! But, atleast auto mnfs. will have 10 years to come up with new technology. Hell the new 600hp ZR-1 is supposed to get over 25mpg on the hwy! Wonder what everybodies else thoughts are on this... doomsday for muscle cars or overreaction?

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

It does look like it is going to be a grimm future...

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

You might want to post this in the AAG forum (almost anything goes) you will get more responses

That new ZR1 600 HP blown vette was on TV the other day and they mentioned it only got 10 mpg Misinformation maybe? Doesn't matter though,,,since the predicted price tag is around $100,000,,,if you can afford that you can afford the gas.

As far as death for the muscle car? Not for me. Maybe for some. I really don't care about gas prices,,,,I still drive my 454 chevelle 2-3 times a week when weather permits,,,putting about 8,000 miles a year on it,,,,at 8 mpg and $3.40 a gallon for 94 octane......I don't care,,,,the cost far outweighs the fun factor. My firebird and a few others are the same way,,,,I drive them just as often. I plan to keep my collection,,,and don't plan to buy anything new,,,so if they come out with electric cars,,,so be it. I won't be driving one. The aftermarket is strong and my spare parts stash is huge,,,,I can keep driving these old cars till I die. I refuse to let gas prices dictate what I drive. The EPA and their mileage requirements can kiss my ass.

I can't stand those hybrid cars either,,,,about 2 months ago I pulled along side of a hybrid going about 50 mph,,,,I yelled over at the guy and said,,,,hey I bet that car won't do this,,,I dropped a gear and proceeded to lay rubber and fish tail until I ran out of tallent.

These requirements may kill current production, or they may go back to V-6's and turbos like GM did back in the 80's,,,,gas mileage and power all in one.
    It's hard to tell what direction the big 3 will go. I think there will always be a small market for new highperformance cars. But just as I have been thinking all along,,,,if the new car performance market does dwindle,,,,it will more than likely start to drive up the prices of the 4th gens,,,especially the rare ones. We have already witnessed what happened to the 60's and 70's muscle cars,,,gas prices haven't seemed to affect their market one bit,,,,,,,,,Get one while you can!!!!!
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 12-22-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Also if you think about it,,,,our lovely president is the one that decided to sign this gas requirement bill into office just recently,,,since he is on his last term he felt he needed to do something with all the pressure on,,,,and this makes it look like he cares and satifies the EPA. Are you kidding,,,,he comes from a family that has gotten rich from oil.

Like father like son,,,,,just as current Bush is doing now,,,,,Daddy Bush did the same thing back in the 80's before he left office,,,,he signed the bill that got all this emmissions crap kicked off and rolling throughout the country that started an entire maylay of problems for states for years to come. He didn't care either, he was leaving office as well at the time,,,,and had to satisfy the EPA. It's all a bunch of political bullcrap.

Just wait until Mrs. Clinton gets into office,,,,and she probably will eventually,,,,then the shit is going to hit the fan for sure. Freedom as we know it will have ended,,,lol.

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

when mrs. clinton gets into office were fucked in every aspect

1981 g-Body

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    It does look like it is going to be a grimm future...
    I thought it was a grimm present.
    And ya the future doesn't look bright.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

it may be grim but there are alway the guys who will make even the slowest piece of shit go......lets hope they can improve what our envorinmetally friendly gov. fucks up

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Detroit will revert back to what they did in the late 70's & 80's by downsizing some more , puttin 4 cyl & 6 cyl engines in everything then slappin some big ugly decals on em & callin them GT"s or Thunder Chicken's and the young crowd will revert back to big stereo drag racing with huge amp's & speakers. What a dark time for gear-heads. Only the rich will be able to afford big V8's & tire screechin performance. Better vote for Mr.John Edwards or else.

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

We'll either way muscle cars are effed in the A in the future. But maybe just maybe the car gods will give us another LT1 like motor to bring back performance

The Clintons own a muscle car. A 60 something mustang.

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGTO View Post
    The Clintons own a muscle car. A 60 something mustang.
    And you think because they own a 60s mustang they are not going to try to raise EPA standards on everything and make everyone pass smog and polution tests all over America just like in california.

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

I wanna pack my cars up and move to Brazil!!!! America is getting retarded!!!

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper101 View Post
    I wanna pack my cars up and move to Brazil!!!! America is getting retarded!!!
    +1

Destination: Australia

Would love to play with some Holdens!

It won't take the Clintons to raise the EPA standards. The President has already done that for at least for the next 12 years.

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

The clintons suck and will make things even worse. There is no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    The clintons suck and will make things even worse. There is no doubt about it.
    Yea, just look back when Bill Clinton was in office and see what the gas was selling for?

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGTO View Post
    Yea, just look back when Bill Clinton was in office and see what the gas was selling for?
    I thought Clinton was one of our better presidents. At least he got the country out of debt!!! But hell as we are now. The light will never shine again!!!

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

I'm leavin , too many BUSHIES !
    It took Clinton eight years to build up a surplus after the first BUSHIE got us so far in debt. Then along comes the retard & gets us even further in debt than his daddy. So much for conservative financial responsibility.

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

So you guys are going to vote for a raging bitch just because the US economy was in good condition when her husband was in. Not very smart. Has anyone ever looked at miss clintons policies?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information