Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Need a opinion from you guys

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/1249578644.html

I went and drove this car today, its a 1972 Cutlass supreme with a rebuilt 350 and automatic transmission. The car has a bit of rust in the usual places but only has one really bad spot in it from what i could tell looking at it. The interior has seen better days, it has a bench seat which honestly if i was going to buy a Cutlass like ive wanted is what i would want, i dont really want the bucket seats in the car. I drove the car and i can honestly say it was a life changing experience and i learn a whole new set of things from driving it.

First of all its got a pretty badly rigged up exhaust system so it was VERY loud, the bench seat was stuck where it was i couldnt get it any closer the speedo didnt work(They are going to fix that). So i very slowly pulled the car out of the drive way where it was behind this guys shop. I gave it a little gas to go down the road and really didnt have to give it much more, the car runs good driving and drives good, it feels good going down the road and not too sloppy but a little bit sloppy compared to my Z-28. I expected as much, i put a little bit of my foot in it and it feels like its going to take off and goes from a little bit loud to im going to rip your head off. I made the mistake of putting my foot all the way in it before a hill and cought a tiny bit of air. The only real complaint i have about the car is it takes alot of break to stop the car, ive been told thats normal. The steering feels a bit loose and has some play, i dunno if thats normal or how to fix it, this will be my first venture into this. The Tranny and the engine are brand new pretty much and the engine looks as clean as it does in that picture, dare i say id eat off of it. The Tranny shifted as smooth as i could tel lfor it being a 3speed with a shift kit, at least i think its a 3 speed. I was just wondering if for the money and considering the car is already a driver it is a good investment. Note it is 37 year old car i expect these things. The paint is good on everything but the trunk and the few rusted spots and the one spot where it looks like some dick head keyed it .

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Play in the steering is not normal. I have a loose steering gearbox and you can really feel it. The box ratio in the Olds is going to be slower than your car of course though. So moving the wheel doesn't respond at all like a late model sports car.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

You move it a littler and it doesnt do anything but maybe when i get to 11 or 10 it will start turning.

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Pontiac Okland Club International published a very good artical from a Master Machanic on breaks. Per your observation "takes alot of break to stop the car, told this is normal" is not normal. The car will need a break inspection and most likely new shoes, pistons and hardware. Maybe even new drums. Per the artical, and my own experinence with 4 way drum brake systems, you have to inspect, rebuild or replace.

Safty first so you don't end-up rear-ending a Honda: Replace brake line hoses (they get brittle with age), replacing or rebuilding the master cylinder 9the o-rings wear out).

Also sounds like she'll need tie-rod ends and ball joints. Would suspect the rest of the steering linkages are wearing out. Back in its day an oil and lube job ment oil in the crank case and grease (lub) all the steering fittings.

This is a very good car. My brother purchased in 73 a 71 Hertz Cutlas, ran it over 200K down in Texas before giving it away in the early 90's.

Sounds like a good find. Keep us posted!

Thread Information