Thread: Jalopy Showdown

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Jalopy Showdown

This weekend, we were able to make the afternoon portion of the Jalopy Showdown at Beaver Springs Dragway. I was bummed that it is scheduled on the same Saturday as Fall Carlisle, but since it is only an hour north of the fairgrounds we saw quite a bit of action. The racing was pretty intense with a couple of the cars running 140 mph plus in the quarter. The twin engine dragster put on a great show running 2/3 of the track with smoke rolling off the tires. It was tough to catch all the action on my cell phone, but the pit photos give a pretty good idea of what it was all about.

Last edited by pajeff02; 10-05-2010 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Double posted a pic.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Last edited by pajeff02; 10-04-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Now that's my kinda racing and atmosphere. Thanks for the pics. Put a smile on my face.

We have Nostalgia drags here a couple times a year that I never miss. Love to take a car down and have fun for a day. For those that have never seen this stuff in action it should be a required part of growing up in America for all kids.

The 56 in the picture is the direction the 56 nomad is taking. Screaming small block/4-speed with alot of rear gear, fenderwell headers and nose up attitude. Gotta love the 60's.

Love the first pic of the dual engine slingshot with hemi's sportin' weed burners. Extremely cool stuff.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-05-2010 at 07:57 AM.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

ive never seen a gasser run at the track...always thought they were ugly when i was younger but now i wanna see more....

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    ive never seen a gasser run at the track...always thought they were ugly when i was younger but now i wanna see more....
    The bug has bit,,,now you're hooked

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Like FBJ, I really enjoy stuff like this. Seeing them run in person is almost a religious experience -- only way that I can describe it.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Looks like a great time, Jeff. Thanks for posting pictures. Nothing like good old fashioned Detroit steel if you ask me

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Looks like a great time, Jeff. Thanks for posting pictures. Nothing like good old fashioned Detroit steel if you ask me

Agreed!

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post

how could you not have liked these?

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    Click for full size
    how could you not have liked these?
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

cut me some slack....not many of those around here that ive seen....im kinda interested in seein more now...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm not a fan of the gasser look either. Just never been a fan. Those would be some sharp cars if they'd either take the lift kit out from under them or put mud tires on them.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I'm not a fan of the gasser look either. Just never been a fan. Those would be some sharp cars if they'd either take the lift kit out from under them or put mud tires on them.

Really Orion? Wow, that's drag racings heritage at it's finest before Prostock was invented.

Just for those that aren't familiar,,,those nose up attitudes weren't done for looks, it was done to transfer more weight to the rear tires. Ever pick up a desk and have the fellow at the other end pick his end up higher? Makes your end heavier.

Back then tire compounds were in their infancy and traction devices weren't much better, so people found ways to compremise like moving the engine further back into the chassis, raising the front ends, and even moving the rearend housings forward in the chassis (which is where the term funny cars came from)>
    That was the whole purpose of those slingshot dragsters before they invented rear engine dragsters around 1970ish (Don Garlits ring a bell??)
    The sling shots (if you look at the dual engine dragster in the pic above) has the person sitting behind the rearend housing. This is for weight purposes, more weight behind the tires provides leverage and therefore traction.
    If you guys ever get a chance to sit in one of these slingshots it will give you a whole new appreciation for these cars and the balls these guys had to drive them. Not much safety equipment back then and the rearend center pumpkin is right between your legs and nothing seperating you from it
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-07-2010 at 08:40 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Really Orion? Wow, that's drag racings heritage at it's finest before Prostock was invented.

Just for those that aren't familiar,,,those nose up attitudes weren't done for looks, it was done to transfer more weight to the rear tires. Ever pick up a desk and have the fellow at the other end pick his end up higher? Makes your end heavier.

Back then tire compounds were in their infancy and traction devices weren't much better, so people found ways to compremise like moving the engine further back into the chassis, raising the front ends, and even moving the rearend housings forward in the chassis (which is where the term funny cars came from)>
    That was the whole purpose of those slingshot dragsters before they invented rear engine dragsters around 1970ish (Don Garlits ring a bell??)
    The sling shots (if you look at the dual engine dragster in the pic above) has the person sitting behind the rearend housing. This is for weight purposes, more weight behind the tires provides leverage and therefore traction.
    If you guys ever get a chance to sit in one of these slingshots it will give you a whole new appreciation for these cars and the balls these guys had to drive them. Not much safety equipment back then and the rearend center pumpkin is right between your legs and nothing seperating you from it
    yeah, I'm not saying they weren't cool or useful or any of that. I'm just saying I don't like the way they look.

yeah, I'm not saying they weren't cool or useful or any of that. I'm just saying I don't like the way they look.
    I figured you for a nostalgia kinda guy

I didn't mean to direct their usefull comments towards you, I figured you as a smart guy that knew it already. I just wanted to pass it along for the viewers.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I figured you for a nostalgia kinda guy

I didn't mean to direct their usefull comments towards you, I figured you as a smart guy that knew it already. I just wanted to pass it along for the viewers.
    I didn't take it that way. I do love the older cars.....I just prefer the looks of the street cars from that era.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I like them. But, I guess that's a given

Thread Information