Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

Ever go from a late model to a classic?

I have a 99 T/A, and I really like it but my wife hates it, and she gets car sick we've even tried dramamine.... She says anytime I am behind the wheel, its like an hour long roller coaster ride. So OK you drive, when she drives she drives it like her Jeep TJ (corners at 15-20 MPH that I have been thru at over 70...in my lane), and she constantly complains about not being able to see out. I like corners what can I say, but how much is it going to cost me to get a late 60's early 70's say camaro to come close to what I have now (99 T/A)? I can deal with no fuel injection, it will be more of a cruiser anyway. Maybe to the drag strip occassionally. Any real life experience?

live fast, die young.

metallic blue
    1969 camaro

well if u want a late 60s camaro or early 70s it ognna cost you my friend.... i bought a 69 camaro over a year ago, and its only half done and ive sunk in about 15k so far.... as camaros go, late 60 early 70 are the most expensive.... and because u lose all the go fast technology of the newer cars u need even more horsepower and other additives to have the same power and acceleration of a modern car.... so its definetly gona cost u a pretty penny

Green
    1969 Pontiac Firebird 350

A late 60's or early 70's camaro will cost you a LOT! I go on Craig's List to see the cars and a camaro in the late 60's or 70's that is flawless will cost you about $15,000.
    I own a Firebird 350, and I got it for $5000. But that is only because it needs a complete restoration. The engine is full of rust, the interior is all torn up, and the whole front end of the car needs to be replaced. If you want a cheap, project car camaro probably $4000.

Black
    97 Firebird

Also, although if it's just a cruiser I don't know if it's going to be that big of an issue to you, you'll definately notice a huge drop in gas milage. When I break out my 81 Trans Am and go for a ride, I can't believe how quickly that thing will drain the tank!
    1997 Firebird 3.8L
    A4,WS6 Ram Air Hood, Edelbrock Catback, SLP CAI, 85 Dry Shot
    1981 Firebird Trans Am
    http://members.cardomain.com/dreaded_hope

badass67
    It is not so much the car as your driving that is causing here to be sick.
    Hitting a corner at 70 as a driver is completely different then as a passanger. Break accelerating, all different and harder for a passanger to take.

You can mod the 1st gen with a used LT1 or LS1, and get some great power.

I would offer that you drive it a little mellower with her in it, or trade her in for a new model!!!

black
    1968 Rally Sport

If you want a first gen Camaro or early second gen, get ready to shell out some big bucks. I bought a 68 camaro 3 1/2 years ago and have spent $28K+ on a full restoration. If you do buy one, I would advise you to buy one that is restored or partially restored. Also keep in mind, you'll have to do some serious sespension mods to get a first gen before it would come close to handling like a ls1. Just my 2 cents.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

Thanks for the replies, all of the points mentioned are along the same lines I was thinking. It all comes down to money!!! eventually anyway. The bit about the newer model would definately set me back some serious coin. Thanks again for the input.

my bro has a '68 ss/rs camaro, its his first car, he's had it since he was 17, he's now 22, its his daily driver, only thing i ever really hear him complain about is the fucking gas, oh yea, his a/c isnt hooked up either, so thats another thing, god i love his car

Black
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

I feel ya man. I really like the older ones, but lack of mileage is a killer. I have driven my car once in the last three months. It is nice to just hop in and drive, doesn't matter how far I plan on going. On my last road trip (almost 6 months ago now, sheesh...I got to get out more!!!), I got 25-28 mpg on a 600+ mile trip, now I'm not saying I do that frequently, but it is nice to have the ability to do so. Granted I took it easy, but at around 70 it just crusies along. I don't see myself doing that in an older one with out swapping in a six speed, even then I doubt the gas mileage will be close, unless I swap out the motor for an LS? Maybe I should just keep it, and quit my wining.

Black
    01 ws6

Really

Ok I like the look and feel of older muscle better then anyone. So why don't you go test drive some older cars. I bet you don't sell yours then. I have driven a hundred cars, and I like this one best. Just put a blower in it then she will be able to relate. I think you should trade up on both leavels. How about the new camero and a hot little short skirt blondie. You better figure it out...

White
    02 WS6 6SPD TA

Buy her her own car and keep what you like. Also remember that older cars roll more in the corners than the new ones. If she is car sick now image how she will feel with more roll!!!

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 68rs View Post
    If you want a first gen Camaro or early second gen, get ready to shell out some big bucks. I bought a 68 camaro 3 1/2 years ago and have spent $28K+ on a full restoration. If you do buy one, I would advise you to buy one that is restored or partially restored. Also keep in mind, you'll have to do some serious sespension mods to get a first gen before it would come close to handling like a ls1. Just my 2 cents.
    One comment about something not yet addressed here. Putting aside MPG, comfort and handling considerations, spending $25K on a new Camaro / Mustang GT, etc. compared to spending $25K on a restored late '60s Camaro / Mustang etc............. the old car will NOT depreciate in value like the new car. AND it will turn more heads.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Thread Information