Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Question 73 Dodge set up. What about horse power #s

I have a 73 Dodge Charger with headers, 750 Holly carb.crane Cam 272 /454 intake and 480 Exhaust .Performer intake, and stock heads.I have a set of Elebrock Rpm Aluminum heads and a Rpm Air gap intake that I will be putting on soon.The car runs good with the set up I have on it now, but I wanted to try the closed chamber heads of the Elebrock and the Rpm intake. what do any of you think of the new set up I will be doing?The pistons is stock but the engine is bored 30 over. and less than 20,000 miles on this engine.

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

you never tell us what engine it is, Unless we know that it's preety hard to guess, and let's see some pics.
    2006 impulse blue G.T.O
    Iron Block 408
    Cam
    Pacesetter ceramic coated L.T.s
    LMII exhaust
    K&N CAI
    Ported TB
    Custom Tune
    FAST 90
    ZEX 125hp wet shot

Quote Originally Posted by Street Fighter View Post
    I have a 73 Dodge Charger with headers, 750 Holly carb.crane Cam 272 /454 intake and 480 Exhaust .Performer intake, and stock heads.I have a set of Elebrock Rpm Aluminum heads and a Rpm Air gap intake that I will be putting on soon.The car runs good with the set up I have on it now, but I wanted to try the closed chamber heads of the Elebrock and the Rpm intake. what do any of you think of the new set up I will be doing?The pistons is stock but the engine is bored 30 over. and less than 20,000 miles on this engine.
    What engine? 400?

pewter
    99 Trans Am

The car came with the 400,but started knocking about two months after getting the car. I had totaled a car I had with a 360 in it, so I put the engine in the charger.that was twenty years ago.I still have the 400 and I have a 440, but I like the 360 best. I later rebuilt the 360 but did not do the flat top pistons,why I don't recall.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 02-09-2007 at 03:54 AM.

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

I would say between 325-350hp, I't;s hard to estimate because I don't know the condition of the the rings, what type of ignition, timing, elevation etc. but I think you could bet that you'll be in the 325-350hp range.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Smile

The car is not a daily driver.I may drive it four times a month around town, and on the freeway. The engine may have 10,000 miles on it since the rebuild.My timing is set at about 32 degrees at 2500 rpms.The ignition is a Mopar performance chrome ignition box Accel 8mm wires Accel performance coil and stock Dist.The elevation should be low being in the south.I find that the car runs pretty good but not like I had hoped.I feel that I may have picked up 25 more rear wheel Hp. If there is any ideals for more tell me.

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

yeah, those heads will really wake it up, I think you'll be preety happy with it if you install the heads, and if you have the time/money, throw some 4.11 gears in the rear, put a good stall converter on and I guarantee you'll be happy.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

The car is not a daily driver.I may drive it four times a month around town, and on the freeway. The engine may have 10,000 miles on it since the rebuild.My timing is set at about 32 degrees at 2500 rpms.The ignition is a Mopar performance chrome ignition box Accel 8mm wires Accel performance coil and stock Dist.The elevation should be low being in the south.I find that the car runs pretty good but not like I had hoped.I feel that I may have picked up 25 more rear wheel Hp. If there is any ideals for more tell me.
    Yeah if the total timing is only 32 you should be able to put ATLEAST 35 in it with NO issues. On the last flat top 360 we did it liked 37 total in it.
    The carb is a 3310...List # that is..... Staright out of the box? If so I'de say you could find 10-20hp just by tuning that. Vac advance is still hooked up on the dist. also?
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Question

I should have stated that the heads and the RPM intake is on the car and have been now about three weeks. The cam I have is only a 272 crane with only a 454 int. and 480 ehx.which was told to me that It could be ran with or without a stall.I went with the low lift cam because I wanted to keep it different from the other cars I have that have the stalls and big cams.I think I my go with a stall. The car already have 323 gears and is not to bad on gas like the other two that have the stalls and big cams.The car runs good and I just need to do a few more things to make it better. I have the 750-3310 carb.What tuning can be done to it? I have already played with the jetts.Anymore ideals that will help a fast car go faster?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

It has 323's.... How tall of tire are you running in the rear? Also you never answered the ? about the vac. advance. You said you played with the jets, so what did you end up leaving in it? The car is heavy so you'll probably get a better holeshot with MORE timing like I already stated and a bigger squirter in the carb.
    Also whats on it for exhaust?

pewter
    99 Trans Am

The vac. advance is still connected to the Dist.The tires are 28in tall, and I went two sizes larger than stock on the jetts.I tried adding alittle more timing today about four degrees and it started to ping on start up.so I droped back two degrees.with the p275 60 -28 in. tall tires and the 454/480 lift on the cam and the 323 gears in the rear what size stall do you think is best. I had a 2800 tcI at one time and it seemed to me to be too big. It was surpose to be the right size for my setup.stated to me by one of jeggs techs.I did not like it at all.Seemed to get a better holdshot with the stock one.the car has a TCI 727 trans.in it and it will bark the tires going to second when shifting it myself.It wouldn't do that with the 2800 stall and there was no passing gear kick at all.the car seemed flat.On the exhaust I have a set of hedman small tube headers what size I have I can't remember.2.5 in. pipe and hooker muflers.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 03-03-2007 at 02:17 AM.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yes I would unplug the vac. advance. First off it's NOT helping performance. It's only there for gas milage. Second you need to change the spring kit in the dist. to change the advance curve.Since your starting with a 73 that post emission war= NO performance!!
    So your using a timing light with an advance knob on the back right? If not how are you getting your total timing #? Did the balancer get replaced? I've had MANY of them spin on me that gives you VERY inaccurate #'s.
    On the carb jetting you need to go the other way on the jets. It comes with 72's I'd try 70's. Also have you ever measured vacuum at idle? If you can check it.... Take your # say it's 14 then change the power valve to a 7.5hg. You want to split the # in half for the correct power valve.
    Which port is the vac. advance hooked up to now? Over the years I've seen that 40% of the people that do a carb swap or intake carb swap place the lines on the wrong ports..... Meaning that as the motor rpm's it actually pulls timing instead of giving timing.
    I would get a Dacco convertor. For the $ they can't be beat!! Not to mention they rate real #'s. A 2000-2200 will work great 4 You from them.

No MSD box? What plugs are you running? Set at what gap?

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I have a set of 70's jets that I will be putting in tomorrow.I also have a in the box 650 double pumper that I had bought some time back for my camaro, but never put it on.The plugs are what Eledbrock stated to use and they are Champion RC12yc plugs.Will a msd box work beter than the chrome performance from mopar?I also will be trying the car without the vac. advance.I did the spring swap.And it was a B to me to do. Thats why I had not done it to this Dist.I was thinking the same size for a stall.Where would I find that brand of convertor.(Dacco) I have a vacuum Gauge and I will be retesting the engine tomorrow, I can't remember what it was I want to say it was like 18, but I will be checking it tomorrow to be sure. and go from there to get the power valve. The vacuum line was on the give side of the carb. I to have saw the same thing done with the vacuum line.Thanks for all the info.I see that tomorrow will be a busy day after I get out of church. And the plugs are set at 40.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yes the MSD will be better. The Champions I wouldn't even run in my lawn motor. But thats my personel opion. I run Autolites in ALL my stuff and customers. Look at the squirter also depending on which prefeix it is it'll have a 28 or a 31 in it. If it does have a 28 I would step up to a 31. In my opion with the weight of your car and the tight convertor I'de try a 33 since it's a single pumper.
    On the 650 tip DO IT!!!
    It will have way better throttle response due to the smaller throttle bore size. Just remember it's going to be worse on gas if you keep your foot in it. The performance will be night and day difference.
    Let me know glad I could help.
    PM me your real email and I'll send you pics of my PLYMOUTH.

M.ove O.ver P.eople A.re R.acing

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I did the jet change and did get about 2 more degrees of timing.The car is starting to get side ways when I nail it on take off.when I do the other things you have told me about this heavy car might fool someboby.Thanks for the info.I also did some of the same to my 77 camaro and my 69 pick up and they both showed the same good response.the charger is now running like I had hoped it would when I installed the heads. once again thanks.sent email address.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I did the jet change and did get about 2 more degrees of timing.The car is starting to get side ways when I nail it on take off.when I do the other things you have told me about this heavy car might fool someboby.Thanks for the info.I also did some of the same to my 77 camaro and my 69 pick up and they both showed the same good response.the charger is now running like I had hoped it would when I installed the heads. once again thanks.sent email address.
    VERY GLAD TO HELP!!!!

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Did you change that squirter yet?? Let me know.

pewter
    99 Trans Am

I haven't done anything to the charger since I talked to you back when. Like I said I only drive the car so many times a month,so I have been working on the camaro,It too had soon things going on with it.Than the truck must have felt leftout and it went to acting up.Than I had to fix a section of the house that I have been putting on hold.plus Catch up on my grass cutting. I have been on vacation, but all of this kept me from doing anything to the charger.I do plan to get back on it because I plan on going to a cool event in Gulfport Ms. called Cruise On The Coast held in Sept. or Oct. went last year with my brother, he lives there and had been telling me about it for years but I never went.You talk about hot cars, there were to many to count and it last for a week.So yes I do plan on doing the things we talked about. My only problem is getting some free time.I think I have the truck and camaro problems solved so I will be getting back on it unless the TA. or some of the other cars we have gets mad and want their time with me also.Thanks for checking on me.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

I haven't done anything to the charger since I talked to you back when. Like I said I only drive the car so many times a month,so I have been working on the camaro,It too had soon things going on with it.Than the truck must have felt leftout and it went to acting up.Than I had to fix a section of the house that I have been putting on hold.plus Catch up on my grass cutting. I have been on vacation, but all of this kept me from doing anything to the charger.I do plan to get back on it because I plan on going to a cool event in Gulfport Ms. called Cruise On The Coast held in Sept. or Oct. went last year with my brother, he lives there and had been telling me about it for years but I never went.You talk about hot cars, there were to many to count and it last for a week.So yes I do plan on doing the things we talked about. My only problem is getting some free time.I think I have the truck and camaro problems solved so I will be getting back on it unless the TA. or some of the other cars we have gets mad and want their time with me also.Thanks for checking on me.

........ .................................

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Thumbs up

I couldn't have said it any better.
    Last edited by Street Fighter; 03-21-2007 at 02:44 AM.

Thread Information