Thread: 327 ?'sss

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

327 ?'sss

Okay so I'm getting ready to jump back in to the Impala project and will be starting with the engine. It's a 327 with the stock bottom end and I plan on keeping it that way right now. What I'm missing is a heads/cam package and I'm currently searching craigslist and these forums for a good deal. I've come across a set of 882 heads that I'm seriously considering but am not sure of what size cam I can get away with. I just picked up a single plane Weiand G force intake, a Holley 650, and a set of Headman LT's. I'm also wondering what needs to be done with the intake manifold if I were to get a set of vortec heads, or should I just get a vortec compatible manifold. In case it isn't obvious, this is my first engine build so I'll probably have more questions later on. Thanks all.

Red

You need a vortec manifold with the vortec heads, but it is worth it.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Definetly worth the vortecs. Any previous head will need some work to come close. You just have to worry about cam lift with stock vortecs.

The vortec is a decent head for a mild setup. It's assentially a gen II LT1 head without the reverse flow cooling.

You can do one of two things on the valve lift issue. Since they are only good to about .470 lift in stock form.

You can buy the heads from Scoggin that are already modified and ready to go,,,or,,,,,,

Comp Cam now makes a beehive valve spring for the vortecs to increase lift clearance to .550 (I think it's .550) anyway,,,it's a simple swap with no machining. So you can buy the heads cheap from GM brand new and just swap the springs yourself.

They would work nice on a 327 with the 170cc intake runners they have. And with the tight 64cc chamber it would make about a 10:1 motor on a 327 with a 4-valve relief flat top piston,,,give or take a bit depending on other things.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Great info.^^^^^^^^^^

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Thanks for the info all, so I'll definitely need to start saving up for some vortec H/I/C

Thread Information