Thread: 327 heads

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

327 heads

so i was talking with a dude i work with about plans to build up my 327 and he suggested putting on heads from a 305. apparently there are supposed to be gains from this little trick. i have found a set of camel hump 462 heads not far from home and wanted to pick them up while i'm home, but if there's something to this 305 head deal then i might try that. i probably sound like an idiot but just thought i'de pick your brains and see what you all think. thanks

I wouldn't bother with the 305 heads.

No performance advantage, has a tighter 58cc combustion chamber, smaller valves, and the intake runner size is tiny.

Go with the camel hump heads if they are cheap enough. It's what belonged on the 327 anyway if it's a 300hp version and up...

If you get into a bunch of money on hump heads with rebuilding etc....then it may be more cost effective to step up to something aftermarket.

I just built a 327 for the Nomad and stuck with the old camel humps myself more for the nastalgia look and fits the theme of the car.
    Just depends on what ya want..

Edit: Just to give ya a heads up (pun intended,,lol) the 462 hump heads have the accessory bolt holes on the ends, which started around 1968,,,the 461 casting is the original hump heads without accessory holes from 62-67.
    Something to keep in mind if your bracket setup requires it. I won't even get into the various HP differences between these heads, screw in studs and guide plates verses push in studs. 2.02 valves verses 1.94 etc....it could be either version.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 08-05-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

thanks man, the stock heads were 462's but i sold them off to a guy who needed them more than i did since the engine was on the stand and i wasn't going to be home for a while. i might as well get an aftermarket set if i stay with the stock 327. i'de like to get as much power as possible out of this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    thanks man, the stock heads were 462's but i sold them off to a guy who needed them more than i did since the engine was on the stand and i wasn't going to be home for a while. i might as well get an aftermarket set if i stay with the stock 327. i'de like to get as much power as possible out of this thing.
    Thats cool. If nastalgia is not what you're after then a set of aftermarket heads would do fine and make power. Although you could have made repectable power with the hump heads.
    I had mine ported, and with a tunnel ram and custom flat tappet solid cam made 439 HP on a DTS dyno. Not bad for a little screamer.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

SBC heads are a dime a dozen these days. Those double hump/camel hump heads are WAY DATED!!! OLD technology which has since been WAY surpassed. That 305 shit as Larry said just has a smaller chamber which gives you more compression. The exhaust ports are terrible though.

If you on a limited budget you can't go wrong with a pair of Vortech style heads. They out flow and perform those double humps right out of the box.

How big of cam do you have or want to run?

Is it a street car?

4 speed or auto?
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    SBC heads are a dime a dozen these days. Those double hump/camel hump heads are WAY DATED!!! OLD technology which has since been WAY surpassed. That 305 shit as Larry said just has a smaller chamber which gives you more compression. The exhaust ports are terrible though.

If you on a limited budget you can't go wrong with a pair of Vortech style heads. They out flow and perform those double humps right out of the box.

How big of cam do you have or want to run?

Is it a street car?

4 speed or auto?
    Whats wrong with old technology???

My old school small block just wouldn't be the same with a modern set of heads,,,would kinda clash with my old Edelbrock TM tunnel ram and 660 center squirters

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

thanks all for your input so far. to answer some of the questions, this will be a street car, it will have a mild cam in it and i will probably upgrade the auto to either a 200 4R or a TH400. would like to get as much power out of this engine as possible even though it'll just be a weekend cruiser.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Might have some heads if your looking for some. We probably have 100 sets laying around. Useless for my ls1

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

cool. i won't be home from Afgahnistan till around mid january. still i would definitely take you up on that offer. PM me a list of what heads you have please

pewter
    99 Trans Am

Thumbs up

I have to agree that the best bang for the buck if you are short on cash is to get a set of vortech heads,They come stock and they sell up graded ones with a 525 max. lift, they are on my camaro and on my 69 truck and it's like night and day comparing the old heads and the new vortechs. If you get a set you want be upset about the way they perform.And they are cheap.

Member since 1999 RATCHETMASTER's Avatar

pewter
    99 WS6 now belongs to X

As mentioned above, the 305 heads are a quick way to increase compression. They do have the setbacks also mentioned, but they can be cut to accept larger valves and some mild port work will help them a lot and not cost much to use. I wouldn't use them unless i needed the heads with the accessory holes for mounting up all the bracketry which you may need depending on what car you are putting this motor into.

The double hump fuellie heads (various casting #s) do not have accessory holes in them.

Also, these heads were found on all L48 SS camaros 67-68 295 hp motors and the L30 327 275 hp rating. the 67-68 Z28 also used these for the 290 hp motor. corvettes used these on the 300 hp (and I think a 350 hp version too) version other than a corvette with these. And of course they were used on impalas, trucks, chevelles, novas, etc.
    These heads are good heads. They can be cut to accept 202 intake valves and will work well. If you want to rebuild some heads, these would be good candidates. But Vortec and aftermarket heads (if you can find some or buy some)will be a good choice as well.
    99 T/A WS6 A4 Pewter
    02 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 EXT. CAB.
    1968 RS SS 350 camaro M4
    1969 Oldsmobile 442 convertible M3 (1of 87)
    1969 Firebird Turbo400
    1972 SS 454 Elcamino turbo 400
    1973 RS type LT Z28 M4
    and more 68 elco, 68 cutlass, 68 rs camaro, 74 Nova, 89 9C1 caprice, 95 LT1 caprice,

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

i thought these heads came with 2.02/1.60 valves.

Member since 1999 RATCHETMASTER's Avatar

pewter
    99 WS6 now belongs to X

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    i thought these heads came with 2.02/1.60 valves.
    Only when they were on the Z28 camaro or the higher horse power applications. I have 4 sets in my garage as we speak. . . all 194 intake valves.

btw . . . I know afghanistan has a lot of troups there, but have you ran accross a special forces guy named Jared D'Agostini??

He is a friend of mine (his dad and I are good friends.)
    Last edited by RATCHETMASTER; 09-03-2008 at 11:32 AM.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

i work those guys all the time. if he's in 7th group and is in souther or western afgahnistan then i've worked with him. so i found a pretty good deal on some heads from a company called arrowhead. but i also will be looking through the local craigslist when i get home in case i find a good set of vortecs

Thread Information