Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

is 1984 a classic???

heres the story. my little brother isnt so smart first off. him and his friends bought a car a couple years ago to fix up. 1984 auto z28 305 HO. the body has some rust, trunk hatch wont open, and other small stuff like that. But it actually looks like it has a 9" in the rear. anyway they had a 'mechanic' come over and try to fix it to running condition so they could start modding. the guy completely messed it up, he left hoses hangin off the block, capped some, and fitted some to others. he had no clue what he was doing. anyway long story short they never got the title signed over and the title has been damaged and barely ledgible(washing machine). they have no clue how to get a title for the car or where to even begin fixing it. i tried hepling but i have no clue whats going on with that whole smog system. any words of advice from all you camaro/gm vets??? sorry for the long post but id love to get that thing out of the garage so i can put my car in there

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

First off, if the title was never signed over, then the car still technically belongs to the person they got it from. They would need to contact the previous owner, have him get a duplicate copy of the title, resign it back to them, then they can transfer it into their names. Secondly, trying to fix a car that someone else has screwed up is a daunting task. My advice, pick up a service manual for the car and use it as a basis for returning it to stock running condition - if that is the direction chosen. If mods are planned, you may wish to eliminate the smog equipment altogether, and others may be able to help you in that regard. Whether it is even worth doing any of this is a question only you/they can answer.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Oh yeah - technically a vehicle over 25 years old is considered a historical vehicle - at least in Ohio. Whether it is a classic - that's more a matter of opinion.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Oh yeah - technically a vehicle over 25 years old is considered a historical vehicle - at least in Ohio. Whether it is a classic - that's more a matter of opinion.
    I THOUGHT IS WAS 30? for historical?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    First off, if the title was never signed over, then the car still technically belongs to the person they got it from. They would need to contact the previous owner, have him get a duplicate copy of the title, resign it back to them, then they can transfer it into their names. Secondly, trying to fix a car that someone else has screwed up is a daunting task. My advice, pick up a service manual for the car and use it as a basis for returning it to stock running condition - if that is the direction chosen. If mods are planned, you may wish to eliminate the smog equipment altogether, and others may be able to help you in that regard. Whether it is even worth doing any of this is a question only you/they can answer.

This. The prior owner needs to apply for a lost or destroyed title and then execute it before a notary. Anything 20 plus years old in my book is a classic -- that's half a life ago for me.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    I THOUGHT IS WAS 30? for historical?
    I know it used to be 25. Unless they changed it, which they may have. I know it used to be 25 because I had a '72 Plymouth and in 1998 I didn't have to get emissions testing because it was considered a historical vehicle at that time. Things may have changed since though.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

i cant ever get a clear definition here in indiana. . . to me, 30 years should be a classic and 50 years should be historic/antique. . . but i know a lot of car shows still use 1972 as a cut off date for entry for some reason

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

Well he said they have no way of contacting the guy. They dont know his name or anything. I might Just look into Putting that rear end on my car haha

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    Well he said they have no way of contacting the guy. They dont know his name or anything. I might Just look into Putting that rear end on my car haha
    you could get an abandanment title also. i'm not sure how that works but it can be done.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Technically an 84 is a "Classic", although I don't know of anybody that would want a, let's say, 1984 Yugo as a classic car. Unless you live in the former Yugoslavia...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

20 yrs= antique=classic..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Apply for a new title, itll take 30 days, theyll talk to a bunch of people to see if their are leans or anything on the car. If there are not they will give you a tittle for it.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I don't care what the actual laws say, but to me a classic is something that is actually cool, to me that could be even only 10 years old like my WS6. But I believe in Indiana it is 25 years old to qualify for a classic license plate. Some cars are classics the instant they are released too.

How about a classic tag for a 1985 Chevette LOL.
    Most mid-70s to mid 80s cars are not worth having, IMO. I said MOST, people. Who wouldn't want a nice unmolested 1986 Buick GN or T-Type???

Or a 400 4-speed 1976 Trans Am?

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I don't care what the actual laws say, but to me a classic is something that is actually cool, to me that could be even only 10 years old like my WS6. But I believe in Indiana it is 25 years old to qualify for a classic license plate. Some cars are classics the instant they are released too.

How about a classic tag for a 1985 Chevette LOL.
    Most mid-70s to mid 80s cars are not worth having, IMO. I said MOST, people. Who wouldn't want a nice unmolested 1986 Buick GN or T-Type???

Or a 400 4-speed 1976 Trans Am?
    "cool" to one person, is not the same to the next person.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    "cool" to one person, is not the same to the next person.

This. Very well stated.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^ I agree.

rust
    65 Impala SS Convertible

20 years classic and 25 antique for insurance companies.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

Ok well I think we can all agree that a classic is 20 -25 years. But my question is. Is the car worth fixing?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by pewterz55 View Post
    Ok well I think we can all agree that a classic is 20 -25 years. But my question is. Is the car worth fixing?
    That's a question only you can answer. I've seen people redo cars that I wouldn't have touched, and I've seen people junk cars that I would've fixed. Bottom line is it's your car, and you're the one who's going to be doing the work or paying for it. If you're looking to make money off it - I don't think there is a huge demand for those cars. In the end it's your call.

If you really like the car,,,,then sure it's worth fixing to you.

Will it ever be a high dollar collectable??? Probably not. But does that really matter to a car guy that simply enjoys the hobby?? I don't think so.

Is it a classic?? Well going by the age of the car it could be considered that, but the desirability also has alot to do with model types, options, production numbers etc..... It's not going to be as sought after as say,,,,an 88-90 Iroc Z with an L98 (if you want to compare it to other 3rd gens to keep it apples to apples).

So why not restore it anyway. 3rd gens make great platforms to build from and are cheap to buy. If you plan to keep it then it makes good financial sense. If you are looking to turn it around though, don't expect a return on the investment.

Thread Information