Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1970-1972 ho

yellow
    2002 collectors edition

1970-1972 ho

I think the baddest trans am ever made were the 1970-1972 trans am, does anybody esle out thier own one of this bad boys.

Torque Junky

Blue on White & Dark Blue
    70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

I do... transamrit.net/transam/ (damn forum won't let me create a real URL yet).

'70 TA Ram Air III. It's awesome, soon to be awesomer (hopefully).

yellow
    2002 collectors edition

CHECK OUT MY PROJECT CAR www.dmperformance.org , click on project car page.

Torque Junky

70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

Very nice. I'm planning on doing something similar, soon. About 800-900hp, good mileage via T56 6-speed, etc. Only difference is, I'll be using the Pontiac 400 block instead.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

dont have one right now . Got rid of a 74 Formula with a 455 a while back

red
    1973 TransAm

I have a 1973 TA with the 455, I have been a car guy that believed you should keep the same engine make as the car, I think I'm finally have gotten over that, because I'm now looking for a LSx engine and trans to put in the 73TA with a turbo.

I just now starting to look at info on the LSx engines, I want to find a wreck car so I can have everything engine and acc. do you have any starting points on what I should look for. Car/year ?

Torque Junky

70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

Quote Originally Posted by DeWayne
    I have a 1973 TA with the 455, I have been a car guy that believed you should keep the same engine make as the car, I think I'm finally have gotten over that, because I'm now looking for a LSx engine and trans to put in the 73TA with a turbo?
    Why not just turbo the 455? Can even do fuel injection and all that good stuff.

red
    1973 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by TransAMrit
    Why not just turbo the 455? Can even do fuel injection and all that good stuff.
    I love my 455, a few years back I put a set of 1970 ram air heads on, and lost a cylinder, that is when I learned that the some 455 needs to be sonic test for thickness, I have had it sleeved, it is fix now just didn't want to taking a chance on destroying the engine ,some day would like to put it back in, I'm hard on engines. I have also thought of the Pontiac 400 with a stocker with the 455 piston to get it back to 455 cid. summit racing has the kit. I think it was around $1395. I added up the cost to get the 400 or 455 to point I would like, and I think I could do the LS1 cheaper and not be afraid of hurting the engine.

Torque Junky

70 TA RA III & 02 TA WS6

I gotcha. I'm kinda surprised that the LS1 is cheaper, especially considering that you already have the 455 - I assume you don't have a spare LS1 sitting around.

Maybe if I get my turbo 400 done before long, I can convince you to go the same route...

red
    1973 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by TransAMrit
    I gotcha. I'm kinda surprised that the LS1 is cheaper, especially considering that you already have the 455 - I assume you don't have a spare LS1 sitting around.

Maybe if I get my turbo 400 done before long, I can convince you to go the same route...
    I have a 64 and 57 Corvette that I'm restoring for a friend, the 64 is almost done, that will give me a little time to think witch direction I want to go, I will watch your progress and the progress of stage274 and then make my decision about it, So keep your websites updated, please !

I have had a friend offer to trade a complete LS1 for the 455, I'm torn about what to use, what does everyone else think ? Trade or not ?

69 Firebird, 02 Firehawk

dont trade!!

Quote Originally Posted by DeWayne
    I have a 64 and 57 Corvette that I'm restoring for a friend, the 64 is almost done, that will give me a little time to think witch direction I want to go, I will watch your progress and the progress of stage274 and then make my decision about it, So keep your websites updated, please !

I have had a friend offer to trade a complete LS1 for the 455, I'm torn about what to use, what does everyone else think ? Trade or not ?
    I was recently in the market for a 455, and after a few weeks of searching, I discovered there are not many left to be found. What you have is soon to be worth its weight in gold. While youll never get the power out of a 455 that you can get from an LS1, the coolness factor is not there. Although, getting 600flbs of torque out of one is like falling off a log.

yellow
    2002 collectors edition

I know, I might just put it back to stock, I aslo have a 69 tubed camaro that can get the turbo, ls1, but that car is far from bieng done,, my trans am is so awsome, and its almost done, I did just pick up a complete 71 455 , with 6x heads on it, I could get 600 ft pound, out of it if I pick the right cam. I cant decide.

69 Firebird, 02 Firehawk

Im about done with my 455, comp cams make several nice cams for them, I went with a .488 lift, with the 1.65 rocker, that brings it to about .530 or so. May not sound like much to an LS1, but thats a good for a pontiac motor. I also put RAIII heads, for about 11.5:1 compression. I still need the carb and a balancer, then Ill be done.

yellow
    2002 collectors edition

that a real nice cam, what is the duration?

red
    1973 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by 1Last69
    Im about done with my 455, comp cams make several nice cams for them, I went with a .488 lift, with the 1.65 rocker, that brings it to about .530 or so. May not sound like much to an LS1, but thats a good for a pontiac motor. I also put RAIII heads, for about 11.5:1 compression. I still need the carb and a balancer, then Ill be done.

Here is a link on a 455 build.
    carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0306_pont/index4.html

The RAIII heads is what I used on my 455. Number 3 cylinder wall collapsed with a hole about the size of a quarter, I had it re-sleeved. Then I started doing some research on the 455 had some bad casting on that cylinder with some of the 455, The article said to have your block sonic test, make sure you have plenty of wall thickness for that compression, If I can find that article, I will post the link.

blue
    2002 ws6 trans am

[ATTACH] [/ATTACH]

Mystic Teal
    98' Formula

My friends '72

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

I know this is old but,a pontiac 455 can make as much if not more power than a LSX engine, stick with the 455, stroke it, cam it and put some KRE heads on it with a nice set Harland Sharp RRs and you'll easily, run with ls1s with a fair amount of mods, remember ponchos don't need alot of cam, more precisely duration, 2.11in./1.77ex. valves are large, plus a big cam with alot of lift will eventually break your #6 lifter bore, ponchos don't need to rev to make big power, check this out www.pontiacengines.com scroll down and read
    2006 impulse blue G.T.O
    Iron Block 408
    Cam
    Pacesetter ceramic coated L.T.s
    LMII exhaust
    K&N CAI
    Ported TB
    Custom Tune
    FAST 90
    ZEX 125hp wet shot

Turbos are headaches, I'd rather just run juice instead. The car can be streetable without the hours of tuning.

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...gAnch=imgAnch8

red
    1973 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by 05gtoautoX View Post
    I know this is old but,a pontiac 455 can make as much if not more power than a LSX engine, stick with the 455, stroke it, cam it and put some KRE heads on it with a nice set Harland Sharp RRs and you'll easily, run with ls1s with a fair amount of mods, remember ponchos don't need alot of cam, more precisely duration, 2.11in./1.77ex. valves are large, plus a big cam with alot of lift will eventually break your #6 lifter bore, ponchos don't need to rev to make big power

I'm going to stay with the 455, with a single or twin turbo, Mega-Squirt EFI.
    Looking for about 750HP. Forged pistons and rods

As a street car and RPM Max 5800 what would be the best choice for a Pontiac 455 Single or twin ?

I would like to have a good turbo setup with out buying top of the line stuff.

The car is not a daily driver and does not have factory A/C, that is one of the reasons I was thinking single turbo on the passenger side.

Thread Information